BT broadband Haggling thread

Comments

• I have been a loyal customer with BT infinity for the past six years,
    I have never phoned up to haggle a new price.
    BT have even sent me letters saying they can give me a saving.

So today after reading Martin's haggling advice, phoned up BT leaving line. After 15 mins on hold, a lady answered, she was not very easy to haggle with at all. To cut a long phone call short, she offered me £10 savings, I am paying £60 a month for infinity 76mb and inclusive calls.
    She was not willing to give out a new router, unless I pay full for it.
    When I started to say, actually I am going to leave, she just went on for ages about how, I might never be able to get back on, due to running out of room.
    Is £10 a month saving any good?Should I just shup up and take the discount?

Sorry for the ramble, but the operator was so matter of fact, there was no room for barter at all.
    Kind Regards Milo
  • For Infinity 2 (76mbps) standard package which includes only weekend calls now cost £49.99 per month. Sounds like you were just offered their standard prices.
    You could call again and try to haggle, pay the standard price or look elsewhere.
    There is a chance of downtime if you do switch.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Start by working out what costs are for a new ISP .Do you actually need Infinity 2 ??

Key before anything is when your contract with BT runs out .If you are in contract then that will require paying off .
  • I've never got a decent retention deal with BT when I've spoken to them. Loyalty means nothing nowadays (unfortunately) to the likes of BT. I was told as much by the advisor - new customers are there priority. My advice would be to compare what is on offer elsewhere. You can use this a bartering tool if you want to phone BT again, but I have done this before and they still weren't interested, but you might get lucky. If no joy, move to another provider. Go through cashback sites to get money if you switch - sometimes this can be over £100 - so another saving there. Hope this helps.
  • fewgroats
    fewgroats Posts: 774
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I had this too with BT Infinity. And now that they seem to not state how much they will remove from my account with Direct Debit, only stating how much I have used (which doesn't include landline charges) and how much I owe for a quarter (which is obviously too high, and might be considered irrelevant?).
    Advent Challenge: Money made: £0. Days to Christmas: 59.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    They do seem a poor company with which to haggle . When I left for Sky they tried to retain me by making an offer which was more than double the deal I was getting.
  • jb66
    jb66 Posts: 1,705
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Its easier to just switch to plusnet or similar via quidco rather than haggling
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Unfortunately the new process whereby you only deal with the new ISP cut out the easy option to get passed on to the proper retentions team when you called for a MAC. Front end CS reps are not able to offer much in the way of discounts and you need to speak with the correct people. Check if there are any "thinking of leaving" options when you call. If not then just ask up front to be put through to the retentions team as you are looking for a worthwhile discount. If that gets you nowhere then follow jb66's advice and just switch making sure to grab any cashback deals going.
  • Take a look at your 'My BT' page when you login to your account.

I had an offer for BTInfinity2 @ £15/month for next 2 years. It can be completed online without any need to call up.
  • the_bandit wrote: »
    Take a look at your 'My BT' page when you login to your account.

I had an offer for BTInfinity2 @ £15/month for next 2 years. It can be completed online without any need to call up.

I eventually managed to track down 'my offers' - 'Save £24/yr' on bt bb...woo who!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure