Not receiving State Pension after 10 years???

2»

Comments

• fedupnow
    fedupnow Posts: 931 Forumite
    smugla wrote: »
    Same thing happend to my dad his been on pension credit since he was 60 and didnt realise he should have had his state pension at 65 and at 68 he was offered a lump sum of £180000 which we kept asking if he was intitled to and yes It would seem that there is a "loop-hole" in the regulations which oblige the DWP to pay all of the state pension arrears without taking in to account the payments of pension credit.this loop hile has now closed by the new goverment as they had to pay people twice !

£180,000!!!!

Bloody hell.
  • fedupnow wrote: »
    £180,000!!!!

Bloody hell.

opps sorry i ment £18,000 thats eighteen thousand
  • fedupnow
    fedupnow Posts: 931 Forumite
    opps sorry i ment £18,000 thats eighteen thousand

Ah, okay.

Phew. For a few minutes I couldn't wait to retire ... £180,000 in three years, I can't wait. :)

Still 18 isn't to be sniffed at. Nice bit of luck there :T.
  • placido
    placido Posts: 83 Forumite
    Same thing happend to my dad his been on pension credit since he was 60 and didnt realise he should have had his state pension at 65
    There was no incentive for people to claim their state pension if it was less than the pension credit that they received. People were just not aware of the (future) significance of not claiming their state pension.

and at 68 he was offered a lump sum of £18,000 which we kept asking if he was intitled to and yes It would seem that there is a "loop-hole" in the regulations which oblige the DWP to pay all of the state pension arrears without taking in to account the payments of pension credit.this loop hile has now closed by the new goverment as they had to pay people twice.

I believe it was closed as from April this year; but I dont think this is retrospective. So, if there is anyone out there who was getting pension credit before April of this year; and not claiming their state pension; they may get a lump sum for the period prior to April 2011
  • smugla
    smugla Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 30 June 2011 at 7:21PM
    Yes the claim had to be made BEFORE april 2011,My dads claim started from DEC 2010 when they came to check he was on the correct benifits, Since he will get £118 state pension a week he still will get pension credit of £19 they DO not count the lump sum wich i also thought was a bit crazy

due to the fact he was on pension credit and had no savings he was taxed on 0 percent bracket and then after speeking to the HM custums due to the fact it was a deffred lump sum no tax was due if it was a error lump sum then tax had to be paid but then it can be set against another or previous tax year tottaly crazy and he dosent lose any benifits as he still recieves a credit top up !!!
  • placido

Yes the claim had to be made BEFORE april 2011,My dads claim started from DEC 2010 when they came to check he was on the correct benifits,
    That would seem to suggest that the new changes are retrospective. Did you get the impression that he would not have got the lump sum if he had claimed after April 2011??

Since he will get £118 state pension a week he still will get pension credit of £19 they DO not count the lump sum wich i also thought was a bit crazy

Paying a lump sum to people who had received pension credit was obviously an error in legislation (which has now been corrected); but "disregarding" the lump sum payment in calculating his present pension credit is entirely within the rules. The lump sum is also disregarded for other benefits like housing benefit and council tax rebate. It does appear to be very generous on the govt's part but I can only think they are very keen to get people to defer their pensions and are providing these incentives to encourage them to do so.

due to the fact he was on pension credit and had no savings he was taxed on 0 percent bracket and then after speeking to the HM custums due to the fact it was a deffred lump sum no tax was due if it was a error lump sum then tax had to be paid but then it can be set against another or previous tax year tottaly crazy and he dosent lose any benifits as he still recieves a credit top up !!!

He was obviously "entitled" to the lump sum payment under the then regulations or they would not have paid it to him. Once they did pay, the lump sum would come under the same rules that apply to everybody else. Since he paid no tax on his other income then no tax was due on the lump sum.

Good luck to him. I hope he enjoys his "windfall".
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    How can someone (male) not know that their pension is due at the age of 65?
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 July 2011 at 7:45AM

I was wondering precisely that myself!

I suppose that some people are just not very knowledgeable about these things and don't realise that 'Pension Credit' is not the same as 'Retirement Pension' - after all they both have the word 'Pension' in, don't they?

Although that just pushes the question further back and makes one wonder why a man thought he would be getting his State Retirement Pension at 60! Again, ignorance of the system, I think, and an assumption that 'they' would tell him what he should be receiving and that if 'they' don't then what he is receiving must be correct.

(Edited to add:If you read the OP's first post again, he says precisely that, he thought what he was receiving WAS his State Retirement Pension).
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    I was wondering precisely that myself!

I suppose that some people are just not very knowledgeable about these things and don't realise that 'Pension Credit' is not the same as 'Retirement Pension' - after all they both have the word 'Pension' in, don't they?

Although that just pushes the question further back and makes one wonder why a man thought he would be getting his State Retirement Pension at 60! Again, ignorance of the system, I think, and an assumption that 'they' would tell him what he should be receiving and that if 'they' don't then what he is receiving must be correct.

(Edited to add:If you read the OP's first post again, he says precisely that, he thought what he was receiving WAS his State Retirement Pension).

I can quite understand how someone can confuse Pension Credit and the state pension - although, as you say, getting it at 60's a bit of a clue!
  • placido

You may very well ask how come the DWP did not know that a male aged 65 was not receiving their state pension and paid him pension credit regardless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure