How to wire in a new electric cooker..?

Comments

• Please get an expert to fit it, regardless of the cost (should be around £50ish)
    HI I m knew to this but i need to know how to wire in a single oven and hob electric my daughter bought one from currys and it is getting near xmas and there is no instructions how to fit it
  • please help me someone out there how do you connect a single electric hob and oven to the mains is it plug or what there are no wires or plugs with it
  • driverlady wrote: »
    please help me someone out there how do you connect a single electric hob and oven to the mains is it plug or what there are no wires or plugs with it

The answer is in my post above.

You can plug the single electric oven into a socket as long as it is less than 3kw ( most single ovens are)

The hob will require it's own dedicated circuit.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    driverlady wrote: »
    please help me someone out there how do you connect a single electric hob and oven to the mains is it plug or what there are no wires or plugs with it

It depends on the wiring to your kitchen, and the consumer unit type, as to whether or not it should be plugged into a 13A socket, but if there is no cable on it, it needs a dedicated supply.
    Even if you have an existing cooker point, modern cookers can be over twice the power of old ones, so the wiring may still need updating.
    It also needs the right specification of cable.
    Instructions aren't given with cookers as it's not a diy job, unless you already know what you are doing.
  • Samphire wrote: »
    Thanks Nomoneytoday. Don't worry, I'm definately getting an expert to fit it, the only question is whether I wait until our usual electrician has the time to do it or use another sparks from the phonebook. I've asked other locals for recomendations and haven't had any! Having been comprehensively stitched up by a heating engineer pulled at random from the phone book when we bought our first house I always like to have a feel for what a job should cost before talking to tradesmen who haven't been recomended.

Yes there are a LOT of cowboys out there!!! I am not sure why Rogue Traders isn't on nightly!!
    My sister paid £50 for disconnection of a gas cooker and recconection of the new one by a qualified person. She said it was 15 mins work in total - nice work if you can get it.
    A sparky will probably cost the same dependent on area and if all connections were there before and no work needs doing.
    We need our new cooker wired in - when we get it but the spark did wire the cooker ring socket in so we know it will fit.

Please get some advice from a spark on this or another DIY website. As my partner learnt to his, and the sockets cost!! the cooker is on a different circuit to the sockets lol!! HTH
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Were about to undertake an oven and hob change, the idea was to go with a gas hob, but now it looks like an electric hob.

As the hob will be fed direct from the cooker switch via a 6mm cable, and on a 32amp MCB, we were simply thinking of either -

a) Putting the cooker switch in the 300 cupboard next to the cooker with a socket on it for the oven, which puts it onto its own circuit

or

b) As per old times, split the cooker supply with a 30amp JB and put a 6mm cable into the back of the oven, and the other into the hob.

Any ideas?
  • Were about to undertake an oven and hob change, the idea was to go with a gas hob, but now it looks like an electric hob.

As the hob will be fed direct from the cooker switch via a 6mm cable, and on a 32amp MCB, we were simply thinking of either -

a) Putting the cooker switch in the 300 cupboard next to the cooker with a socket on it for the oven, which puts it onto its own circuit

or

b) As per old times, split the cooker supply with a 30amp JB and put a 6mm cable into the back of the oven, and the other into the hob.

Any ideas?
    How much power does the hob draw. it should be in the specs eg 3 kW(3000W)
    the Sum : Current (Amps) = Power (Watts) / Voltage
    Current (Amps) = 3000 / 230v
    Current (Amps) = 13.04Amps
    At this rating you could just get away with using a 13Amp plug and socket.
    Note: The 0.04 of an Amp over would be took up in Diversity as stated in BS7671 ( 17th Edition Electrical regulations. ):rotfl::T:cool::A
  • hi david, we decided to go with the 2x 6mm cables from the cooker outlet, 1 to the hob and 1 to the oven to prevent any problems with isolations.

In the end it was easier to leave it as that, than to start putting sockets in down below.
  • I don't suppose anyone would know about the regulations for electric cookers with hobbs with regards to plugs being above them? Is there a height they have to be away from the hobbs? Thank you!
  • You can't have sockets above a hob. Why would you want to?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure