Funeral costs

Comments

• MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,078
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Cremations Direct to a nice funeral for £650.
  • Mojisola wrote: »
    I can understand the bank not releasing the money to you but if the FD sends the invoice to the bank, they will pay it direct to them.

I had a similar experience to Cloudydays, in my case they (Co -op) wouldn't book the funeral until it was paid for in advance so waiting round for the bank to pay an invoice wasn't an option, as we couldn't get an invoice until we had already paid.

Annoying was NOT the word, I was tempted to fling my Platinum Amex in the faces of the morons at Co op. The problem wasn't lack of cash either for me to pay or the estate directly but about transparency as a certain awkward family member having a hissy fit if she had realised I was going to be reimbursed from the estate rather than the estate paying directly.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I had a similar experience to Cloudydays, in my case they (Co -op) wouldn't book the funeral until it was paid for in advance so waiting round for the bank to pay an invoice wasn't an option, as we couldn't get an invoice until we had already paid.

I would have gone to another FD.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A cremation can cost as little as £300, homemade coffin carried to the crem in an estate car or hire van. No need for expensive flowers or to pay vast amounts for a limo when you can get perfectly good flowers from Aldi or Asda and get a taxi their.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • AnotherPaul
    AnotherPaul Posts: 21 Forumite
    David - hi.
    Would you mind saying which plan/company you're with please? I'm looking at all the finances involved in funeral plans. So far I've only found 12 months interest free credit and then interest bearing deals up to 5 years.
    Thanks
    Paul
  • Sorry this is so late but just in case this thread is still being read ...

My father in law bought a pre-payment funeral plan in his 60's. He lived until his 80's and just before he died, he decided to donate his body to medical research instead (and they took it). So, he didn't actually need an undertaker at all nor a funeral (although we just had a memorial service for him in his local church). However, the funeral company refused to refund any money.

Just something-else to be aware of.
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Bit of a tangent but might be useful. Mum used to tell my brother, sister and me that she wanted to be cremated and have a simple but 'nice' family funeral. I told them all that I was in a position to pay for it and wait to be reimbursed once the estate was settled. So when she died this March we were satisfied that we arranged a funeral that Mum would have liked (sounds odd but you know what I mean).

Nothing lavish but we had 3 cars, mid-price coffin and enough flowers so the hearse looked nice. Back to my sisters afterwards for sandwiches etc. Total cost was about £3,000. FD waited 6 weeks before sending me the bill, which they said was their usual procedure out of respect to the family. They were lovely from start to finish, can't thank them enough.

Anyway the point of this is to encourage everyone to tell their family what sort of funeral they want and how to pay for it. Takes the burden off the family at the point when it's most difficult to bear.
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Corona wrote: »
    Sorry this is so late but just in case this thread is still being read ...

My father in law bought a pre-payment funeral plan in his 60's. He lived until his 80's and just before he died, he decided to donate his body to medical research instead (and they took it). So, he didn't actually need an undertaker at all nor a funeral (although we just had a memorial service for him in his local church). However, the funeral company refused to refund any money.

Just something-else to be aware of.

Depends on who the Funeral Plan is with. We have a Co-op one taken out several years ago and it has a cancellation clause to the effect that if it is less than 30 days from the start you can cancel with a full refund and if it is more than 30 days from the start date and you have paid in full, or are paying in full over a set period you can cancel the plan. Money paid will be refunded less a cancellation charge of £250. You have to watch out though as no refund will be made if you don't return the original certificate issued.

Newer plans may have different terms, but that is certainly ours.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,049
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    According to this is money the cost of a basic funeral soars for the 13th year running - now costing an average of £3,897

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3788100/Cost-basic-funeral-soars-13th-year-running-costing-average-3-897.html#ixzz4KDVAyaFw
  • noonesperfect
    noonesperfect Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    McKneff wrote: »
    I dont know where you have got that cost for a basic cremation.at least 3k would be more like.

Direct cremation (as at August 2017) IS still around £1050. I think this is what if being referred to. The person is simply cremated in an early morning without a service.
    :wave:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport