IVA Issues

Options
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice about what to do with my IVA company (PayPlan). I have been in my IVA for just over a year and during that time I have kept them up-to-date with all of my developments. I have informed them of my two job changes and sent in details of contracts and payslips and all of a sudden they have hit me with an unexpected bill of over £400, which I am unable to pay. I have been trying to arrange for an insolvency practitioner to contact me for an assessment for over two months, but am still waiting. The call handlers I have spoken too recently are unable to explain what has gone on and cannot explain the bill either. I have also asked for details of the total amount that I owe, and yet they state they cannot provide this. I am being asked as to why my partner who is in full-time training is unable to contribute and why he cannot work another job after working and commuting between the hours of 0600-2000 6 days a week! They just don't seem to listen and appear to believe that it's realistic to live on £60 a month (to include food, fuel and general living costs).

One of the issues I have is that due to struggles over the past year I have had to borrow money on a weekly basis from family and friends in order to buy food and fuel to get to work. I am now being asked to provide receipts for this money but as it has been cash in hand I am unsure how to prove this. They are asking me to provide receipts for every food bill and fuel bill over the past year, which I do not have as I was not asked to keep these. How can I prove that I have been borrowing money from family and friends to them? I have now managed to secure a new job with a better salary, but am afraid that I will still be left with nothing to live on - my partner is now in over £20k of debt himself and my mother has had to stop work to care full-time for my father, so there is no funds there either. I feel lost and am definitely in a worse position since being in the IVA than I was before.

I there anyway I can change to another company to deal with my IVA as I really cannot bear to deal with PayPlan much longer?

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

I`m sorry to hear about the trouble your having with payplan.

I had to read your post twice to make sure i wasn't imagining things, i have no idea why they would send you a bill for £400, all IP fee`s are usually taken from the payments you make to your IVA, and to ask you for a years worth of receipts is frankly ridiculous.

The call handlers cant explain the bill as there can be no explanation.

All i can do is give you a link to the citizens advice website which gives details on how to complain about your IP :

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/debt-solutions/individual-voluntary-arrangements/problems-with-an-individual-voluntary-arrangement/complaining-about-an-insolvency-practitioner/

Let us know how you get on.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Jezni86,

Jezni86 wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advice about what to do with my IVA company (PayPlan). I have been in my IVA for just over a year and during that time I have kept them up-to-date with all of my developments. I have informed them of my two job changes and sent in details of contracts and payslips and all of a sudden they have hit me with an unexpected bill of over £400, which I am unable to pay. I have been trying to arrange for an insolvency practitioner to contact me for an assessment for over two months, but am still waiting.

If your job changes meant a salary increase or a redundancy pay out from the previous job, then this money may have been requested at the annual review. You can highlight that you would've preferred any increase to have been spread out, but you will need to check the terms and conditions of the contract to see whether that is/ was ever an option.

Jezni86 wrote: »
    They just don't seem to listen and appear to believe that it's realistic to live on £60 a month (to include food, fuel and general living costs).

You should send a budget to show them that you are struggling with the payments they are requesting and ask them if they follow the IVA Protocol. This allows them to vary the IVA payments by up to 15% without the need to refer the matter back to the creditors. The IVA protocol is elective, and they do not have to follow it.

I agree that asking for 12months worth of food receipts is an odd thing to do and if you are generally unhappy with the IP's conduct then make a formal complaint. Do this in writing, recorded delivery. Highlight the issues you are having and how you want the matter resolved. Ask for a copy of their complaints procedure so you are clear about how and where to escalate this to if you need to.

Unfortunately, it is not easy to change IVA provider. In fact, your current IVA would have to completely fail for that to be an option and when an IVA fails there is a risk of bankruptcy. If you have any assets, such as property, cars, savings, etc. then bankruptcy would put you at risk of losing them. IVA's are complicated and I think it would be best to call one of the free debt charities to discuss this in more detail. Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure