Barclaycard constantly changing card numbers

Until recently I had two Barclaycards: One Amex and one Visa.

Since July this year Barclaycard have issued me with no less than FOUR new Visa cards and TWO Amex cards, each with different numbers!

The new Amex cards were totally pointless as Barclaycard were in the process of withdrawing from their asscociation with Amex.

What really bugs me is that every time they issue a new card, I have to update several online accounts with the new card number. This is a time consuming process. I have had to do this four times over the last few months! If I miss one of the accounts, then eventually when the card is deactivated, the automatic payments fail.

:mad:

Comments

• Have you bothered complaining or did you just fancy a rant?
  • dosh37
    dosh37 Posts: 345
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Both!

I complained to Barclaycard today, but I expect nothing more than the usual 'We are sorry if you have experienced difficulties, blah, blah, blah. If you have any further problems, please do not hesitate to contact us' bullsh*t that you always get from customer service.

I get really frustrated with customer service from large companies.
    I have moved away from Barclaycard twice for this reason.
    The first time was to MSDW, the second time was to Egg.
    Guess what? Barclaycard ended up taking over both companies!
    In each case, customer service took a nose dive.

I was caught out in the fraud that happened when Barclaycard took over MSDW. That took forever to resolve. They were completely uninterested in tracking down the perpetrators and ignored the information I gave them about the delivery addresses for the unauthorised card purchases.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Fair enough, just take your business elsewhere.

I'm not aware they offer particuallrly good deals in many areas, and certainly no better than competitors, so vote with your feet.
  • Aw... no need to be harsh!

The OP is being helpful to those considering these products who have an aversion to having their numbers changed...
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    Have you asked Barclaycard why they have sent out these cards with different numbers? Which account number appears on your statement? From what you say it appears that your account number has been changed more than once during a statement period. This is not just highly unusual it is unheard of. I can't ever remember a credit card number being changed without valid reason (lost/stolen card).Do thay actually write to you and inform you each time they change your account numbers?
  • Ben8282 wrote: »
    Have you asked Barclaycard why they have sent out these cards with different numbers? Which account number appears on your statement? From what you say it appears that your account number has been changed more than once during a statement period. This is not just highly unusual it is unheard of. I can't ever remember a credit card number being changed without valid reason (lost/stolen card).Do thay actually write to you and inform you each time they change your account numbers?

Could it be that the old AMEX cashback credit cards were due to be renewed just as they were pulled in favour of the new VISA cashback card.
    This would be an explanation.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    careful your not the victim of identity fraud and ensure the numbers correspond to accounts you already have
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,133
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    In the time from July, have you ever reported any of your cards as lost/stolen or have they just been arriving randomly?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • This has happened to me too. Barclaycard just changed my number of my account after my last card expired and they send new ones. So I have two Visa cards one with my new number but strangley another with my old number. I also have a card for American express. So I have three cards for one account.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,293
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Barclaycard have occasionally changed my card numbers.

Last time they said something like it was because they had been informed by Visa that my card number was on a list of potentially compromised cards.

(I wondered if it had appeared on a list of card numbers up for sale on the dark web or something - but perhaps that was just my imagination running wild!)

I guess they could have been fibbing. But it's hard to think of another reason why they would want to go to the cost and inconvenience of issuing a new card with a new number.

Having said that, other card issuers don't seem to do it so often.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure