Currys and PC World are NOT the same

Is this actually something everyone else already knew? Am I just really naiive? I have found out the hard way that an online account with Currys is not the same account as with PCWorld. So if you go to the home page of Currys, then log in, you aren't actually in the same place as if you go to the PCWorld home page and log in there. Even though they look the same - except Currys says 'Currys PC World' at the top and PC World just has 'PC World'.

Same login details, but apparently different accounts.

I moved house 5 and a half years ago. I've ordered stuff online from PCWorld while living here, and my details are up to date. Recently I placed an order through Currys, and paid with a gift card. Turns out Currys still had my old address, which didn't come up during the order process (though they insist it always does) and I didn't think to check my account details because I thought it was all the same company. I only discovered this when I checked the order tracking number and discovered not only that the order had been sent to the wrong address, but that no-one was in when it was delivered and it had been left with a neighbour.

So, not only has it gone to the wrong address, but I don't even know exactly where it did go, since the Royal Mail website doesn't specify the house number. And they won't deal with me anyway, since I am not the service user, only the named recipient of the parcel.

According to Currys, they have sent a Returns Coupon, but if the recipient doesn't bother to return it, then I don't get a refund. And as far as they are concerned, the fault is all mine because they sent the order to the address I supposedly gave them.

Silly me for thinking that 'Currys PC World' was the same as PC World.

Still, I've learned my lesson and won't be using, or setting up, any online shopping accounts in future. I'll stick to ordering without an account, so that I can be sure I'm actually entering the address I want something delivered to.

Comments

• pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I smell bovine excrement

follow the leads

currys
    DSG Retail Ltd, 1 Portal Way, London,
    company number 504877
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/index.html
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00504877

pcworld
    DSG Retail Ltd, 1 Portal Way, London, W3 6RS,
    company number 504877
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/index.html
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00504877
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • pappa_golf wrote: »
    I smell bovine excrement

follow the leads
    They might have the same company number and registered address but an account with one PC world is not linked to an account with Currys.
    I have an account with PC world and my log in details were not recognised on the Currys website.

I have just set up a new online account on the Currys website and I used the same e-mail address and password as I use on PC world but I could enter a totally different billing address, mailing address, credit card details and phone number.

Tyr it for yourself and you will find that what the OP wrote is totally correct
    https://secure.currys.co.uk/gbuk/s/authentication.html?_ga=2.208717210.96641867.1505959769-402446876.1505959769

https://secure.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/s/authentication.html?_ga=2.91531421.686339361.1505959370-1587121787.1505959370

Pretty much identical sign in pages but you can sign up to both sites using the same log in details but then have different personal details on each one.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They might have the same company number and registered address but an account with one PC world is not linked to an account with Currys.
    I have an account with PC world and my log in details were not recognised on the Currys website.

I have just set up a new online account on the Currys website and I used the same e-mail address and password as I use on PC world but I could enter a totally different billing address, mailing address, credit card details and phone number.

Tyr it for yourself and you will find that what the OP wrote is totally correct
    https://secure.currys.co.uk/gbuk/s/authentication.html?_ga=2.208717210.96641867.1505959769-402446876.1505959769

https://secure.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/s/authentication.html?_ga=2.91531421.686339361.1505959370-1587121787.1505959370

Pretty much identical sign in pages but you can sign up to both sites using the same log in details but then have different personal details on each one.

only a fool would buy from that group , in the OPs case , if this progressed , he could clearly show that he was dealing with one entity , with a stupid convoluted system, in a small claims case the paperwork would be sent to DSG Retail Ltd, 1 Portal Way, London,
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • pappa_golf wrote: »
    only a fool would buy from that group , in the OPs case , if this progressed , he could clearly show that he was dealing with one entity , with a stupid convoluted system, in a small claims case the paperwork would be sent to DSG Retail Ltd, 1 Portal Way, London,

Claim for what? It doesn't matter that they are the same entity; there's nothing to stop them allowing people to register multiple accounts with the same company. If one of those accounts has an outdated address, and you order something sent to that address and they do what you ask, what are you claiming against them for?
  • grayme-m
    grayme-m Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    JazzC wrote: »
    Turns out Currys still had my old address, which didn't come up during the order process (though they insist it always does) and I didn't think to check my account details because I thought it was all the same company. I only discovered this when I checked the order tracking number and discovered not only that the order had been sent to the wrong address, but that no-one was in when it was delivered and it had been left with a neighbour.

So, not only has it gone to the wrong address, but I don't even know exactly where it did go, since the Royal Mail website doesn't specify the house number. And they won't deal with me anyway, since I am not the service user, only the named recipient of the parcel.

As has been said before, I would never assume that all group companies share all information, perhaps because I work in one and know how disjointed they can be.

Are you sure it didn't state at any time where it was going? I'm pretty sure that every time I have bought from anyone online (this does not include Currys / PC world), the address is quoted before completion.

RM should record where they left it, won't Currys ask them for you?
    Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
  • Surely RM tracking info gives the OP the proof he needs that the parcel wasn't delivered to the address it was sent to. The fact that the address was his old address is irrelevant.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Tip for future :-

Never ever buy anything from Currys/PC world .

Online of off
  • grayme-m wrote: »
    Are you sure it didn't state at any time where it was going? I'm pretty sure that every time I have bought from anyone online (this does not include Currys / PC world), the address is quoted before completion.

It would have. How on earth could anyone positively remember that it didn't show the address somewhere in the screens? They would have to have carefully checked for it, and not found it; and if you are going to go to the trouble of carefully checking to see if there is an address and can't find it then you are going to do something else such as check your account details, not just say "Oh well" and press the button.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    No, the lesson of this - is always check the email confirmation - just in case you missed it, during the ordering process.

With Currys surely it depends on what you are buying. White and/or brown goods = Currys. While, Home Office and/or tech equipment = PC World.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    no1catman wrote: »
    While, Home Office and/or tech equipment = Anywhere but PC World.

Fixed that for you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport