PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    iamsalt wrote: »
    I too am horrified at the poor quality of clothes, I hardly spend on them at all, and try to make things last, but I have noticed fabrics getting thinner, so I won't still be wearing them 20 years later like I am with some items (bought from cheap shop like new lo0k in the 90s). I love my jeans which I spent more on, and they have been back to the makers for repair and they did a lovely job, I love their ethos of doing one thing well and repairs for life, it even helps that I feel like a million dollars when weAring them.

oh dear GQ you started me on furniture....I won't buy modern furniture, I have lots of 30s and 50s stuff, all hand me downs and all still sturdy. I am not fond of melamine and I like woods even if they don't match! I have commissioned a wardrobe from a carpenter as a special piece that I will enjoy every day, as my OHs melamine wardrobe is on its last legs and I can get rid of it in a couple of weeks when my new one arrives. To me it's a sensible investment in something I will enjoy for years.

Thinner fabrics = see through tops. I don't want to be walking around in public with my undies in view - I want to wear clothes which actually cover them and said this to a shop assistant 3 years ago having rejected several white t-shirts for that very reason.

Which jeans do you buy? I've been looking for a decent quality pair for a couple of years.

Re furniture, OH and I have decided to look for older wooden furniture and we thought we'd look for an old pub table for our dining table - we wanted something which had seen some life and still had many more years life in it. The MDF hall cabinet I had to buy in a hurry 10 years ago was wobbly within a few weeks and the plastic coating chipped very easily. It has always looked horrible and I can't wait to get rid.
    VJsmum wrote: »
    I once took a pair of DDs school shoes back as they'd fallen apart after 2 weeks to be told that she wasn't "supposed to walk in them".

I kid you not....

I guess we're not supposed to mow the grass with lawnmowers as well then. The last one I had lasted 1 1/2 seasons. Bought a new one this year and one of the wheels falls off.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • iamsalt
    iamsalt Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

Which jeans do you buy? I've been looking for a decent quality pair for a couple of years.

Re furniture, OH and I have decided to look for older wooden furniture and we thought we'd look for an old pub table for our dining table - we wanted something which had seen some life and still had many more years life in it. The MDF hall cabinet I had to buy in a hurry 10 years ago was wobbly within a few weeks and the plastic coating chipped very easily. It has always looked horrible and I can't wait to get rid.

I guess we're not supposed to mow the grass with lawnmowers as well then. The last one I had lasted 1 1/2 seasons. Bought a new one this year and one of the wheels falls off.

The jeans are hiut denim, made in Wales, my oh has a pair which is now well into the fourth year and going well, these are over a year old and worn daily. I braved the slim fit high waist....I have gymnast thighs so can't normally get slim jeans over my knees! They were (gulp) £125 but per wear they are becoming exceptional value for me! I had a lovely chat to one of the girls there when trying to decide what to get.

We have just been passed a hand me down lawn mower which my mum bought 30 years ago, and used to mow nearly an acre of grass each week. It started perfectly after a splutter, and my OH mows the lawn here in minutes and finishes happy too!
    £400,000 starting Jan 2020 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £4000 so far £20 paid
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Bum - just lost a post!
    GQ - as an only I'd love a baby sister ;) DH used to shoot many years ago with a local club. He shot a beautiful inlaid border bow from Mellerstain - always hankered to visit there along with Lindisfarne - must put it on the bucket list
    The airing rack was inspired too GQ - I have one the same, when the plastic hinges broke I repaired it with a couple of cable ties - still going to strong.
    My only Kondo of late has been a kilo of frozen beans to DS1 and some nasty linen type teatowels to the club as I much prefer towelling ones.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    GreyQueen wrote: »

Re Next's clothes, hmm, haven't bothered with them for a couple of years, went into their sale and had a poke around and quickly realised that all I could see was a bunch of miserable rags which I wouldn't accept as freebies, never mind pay even a reduced price for........! Good grief, I've seen and passed on better items at jumble sales.

Much of what is offered for sale is blown together out of third rate fabrics, sewn with inferior threads, buttons barely hanging in there, seams unfinished, dyes poorly-fixed and designed to have 'hanger appeal' which means it looks rubbish on human-shaped humans.

Pah! I'll contunue charity-shopping where you can see how things have washed and worn and any egregious faults have mostly revealed themselves.

If clothing retailers want to stay in biz above the cheapy-cheap fast fashion level, they'll need to cater to the age cohorts which have the most money to spend (demographically, the 50-plus woman). At the moment, they don't seem to know how to make well-designed stylish clothes from reasonable cloth which a person might actually see herself wearing.

:o rant over :o

I agree absolutely and have on two occasions even written to M&S to that effect. I did not receive a reply. More recently they sent a silly questionnaire on their fashions and asked "If M&S were a celebrity, who would it be, and why?" I suggested Grayson Perry as it seems to share his fashion sense.

You are right about the awful quality. The big problem is that already the quality materials we used to take for granted are no longer being manufactured in sufficient quantities anywhere in the world. I worked in the clothing industry for a while and a size was a size. Now you have to try anything on and the excuse is that it depends upon the design (although the idea of size labels is to help the wearer, not change the game with every design). I can't go into some shops because the smell of the garments is overpowering. They must be sprayed with some kind of anti-rot chemicals so they survive the long sea journey from the far east, in a container. I do sometimes wonder what will happen if our link with the producing companies is broken, and we have to dress ourselves. We don't grow cotton here, or vast quantities of flax, and even wool no longer makes a dent in the clothing market. All the skills required to cut and sew the garments in bulk quantities are dying out, along with the engineering skills to make the necessary machines. Maybe we should be careful not to Kondo too many of our old curtains :rotfl:
    Save
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    silvasava wrote: »
    Bum - just lost a post!
    GQ - as an only I'd love a baby sister ;) DH used to shoot many years ago with a local club. He shot a beautiful inlaid border bow from Mellerstain - always hankered to visit there along with Lindisfarne - must put it on the bucket list
    The airing rack was inspired too GQ - I have one the same, when the plastic hinges broke I repaired it with a couple of cable ties - still going to strong.
    My only Kondo of late has been a kilo of frozen beans to DS1 and some nasty linen type teatowels to the club as I much prefer towelling ones.

Not kindling, away on 3week holiday touring Northumbria and Scottish Borders, visited Lindisfarne today, was great, but castle closed for major renovation works.

not good on this tablet, should read Kondoing!
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have some items of clothing from BHS which are still going strong (unlike them) and some old pieces from Marks as well.

I have an old dress from BHS which I wear again and again - probably every two weeks. It washes well and although obviously not new, it's good enough to go out in. It could be over 25 years old. I also have some mini skirts from Marks (I wear them over leggings these days!) They are probably over 25 years old too - but they are still comfortable and the fabrics are still fine. I must have about 5. Hmm, one red, one brown, one black, one plaid and I must have at least one blue one. Whenever I think about replacing them I can never find any as good.

Clothing items I've kondoed recently include much newer items which have gone at the seams, the fabric has been too thin and created holes or they are too see through and I have to wear tops under them which defeats the object of lightweight summer clothes. Also gone are the clothes that I have bought in desperation for my summer holidays when I've looked for so long and found nothing better, and have realised that I don't want to wear them any longer.

I have a holiday in 3 weeks and the old faithfuls will be being packed again.

I have no trousers - the last ones I bought in Marks yonks ago, but I can never find any in a fabric that I like. I was sad to get rid of the last 3 pairs I had but they were worse for wear, and I hate the new thin/lightweight fabrics. I like to wear trousers when I am cold - so now I wear cotton leggings, although I worry that the ones I like will not make a reappearance.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Am worried about my tooth still. Dentist can't fit me in for 8 weeks!! I don't think it will last til then. Will ring them next week, to discuss. It is doing my weight loss good though because I can barely face the thought of eating. Just had one egg scrambled, a piece of cheese crumbled up, and a bowl of yoghurt yester. Polly I will PM you tonight, thank you so much for the offer of info.

Maddie, we are in the Scottish Borders too!! It is a beautiful and very interesting area, as is neighbouring Northumberland. I love Lindesfarne and the castle, shame it is closed just now.

Right, time to get ready. We are off to visited dear friends today. Will kondo wine and a little hamper of goodies to them by way of thanks for their hospitality:D

oh, yes, totally agree about quality of clothes! Have picked up many a garment and put it straight back on the rail. Why do MnS insist on using some sort of nylon thread for seams?? It scratches and irritates me terribly. Also they seem to have lost the plot with regard to quality control. I had to try on at least 8 cardis from the same rack to get one that fitted correctly, they were all labelled as the same size but arm lengths, arm width (!), and chest size varied enormously. I would have given up but luckily I had read reviews warning of the variation and that persistence may pay off. Ludicrous!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I agree with your comments on the poor quality of clothes now, nothing seems to last more than a season, I find I buy less and less now but the good quality stuff can't last forever! I had to re-sew all the buttons on the last cardi I bought as one fell off and when I checked all the rest were loose.

Also - why do clothes come with half a dozen labels in? I'm sure I could wear a smaller sized bra if there weren't 6 labels sewn in (M&S)!

I love Northumberland, very envious of anyone who visits. I was at Lindisfarne in January and it was absolutely beautiful.

I have kondo'd 4 small raised beds from the garden, it's taken weeks to get the soil into the garden waste bin, if I fill it too full the lorry can't pick it up. Nothing grows very well there and I have raised beds at the community garden now. Sometime this year I will turn that area into a proper garden bed and have some lovely flowers (maybe).
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks GQ xxx

Not a lot of Kindo'ing has been going on here as week and weekend days have been so busy. But today I'm going to sort out some jeans and trousers that I got in a super cheap second hand bundle - some were not my style and some are too small for me. The in laws are iver at the moment so I'll pass along the bits I won't wear to see if she'd like them

Also need to catch up on clothes washing and putting away

I'll be kondo'ing grass via the mower too and will hopefully get a chance to try making some of those smoothie bottle bobble hats for Age UK. It will give me anorher source to kondo some of my wool stash!

Have a good day everyone
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    got to make the effort to get my arris in gear, just had my second mug of tea, in reality I have to wait in for a new big lightweight planter for the pluglets I forgot I ordered. I am part filling with plastic bottles and fruit trays. The plugs I am putting in are called sunpatiens compact and should give a lovely show in all weathers this summer. Cosmos are in the allotment as from yesterday and 40 mini plugs of marigold have been quickly re-plugged at home. So very much easier when the right gear is handy and clean

I kondoed two codling moth traps, had them in my shed for a long time, unopened, one is now hanging to serve three trees at home and the other will go to the allotment as soon as. Nice rain for the last couple of days btw, good time to plant out down here. Like when I plant bulbs, its worth it in the end
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure