Has my car had it?

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Multiplexing...

That wouldn't explain it, not unless the stalks operated on a switch array/matrix, but if that was the case, then the more likely suspect would be a switch stuck in the closed position.

Regardless I just found the full replacement stalks unit on eBay for under £50.

OP has let this car get into such a state that even i'm not convinced i'd want to keep it.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Strider590 wrote: »
    That wouldn't explain it, not unless the stalks operated on a switch array/matrix, but if that was the case, then the more likely suspect would be a switch stuck in the closed position.

They do.
    Renault (& Nissan on their Renault based models) use this absolutely dreadful system where all the column switches are encoders, that provide input signals to the BECM or IPDM in Renault/Nissan speak.

Somehow, replacing the old fashioned "wire goes from switch to headlight" with "multiple wires go from switch to box placed where water can get at it full of flaky electronics" then "wire goes from box to headlight" is better :rotfl:

So much for the old adage "the most reliable component is the one that isn't there" which is how we used to work when I worked at Lucas :o
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2017 at 12:22PM
    Post removed due to incorrect info !!
    Apologies & thanks to AdrianC for pointing out my error.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    @ goatfertility
    You do know that your tax will now be £140.00 per year ??
    HTH
    <sigh> No, it won't. Not unless he's buying a brand new car first registered after 1st April.
  • JP08
    JP08 Posts: 851 Forumite
    facade wrote: »
    So much for the old adage "the most reliable component is the one that isn't there" which is how we used to work when I worked at Lucas :o

From what I remember about Lucas electrics in the old bangers I used to run that was definitely the case. Certainly wasn't any reliability with the components they did supply.

Wasn't Lucas once referred to as being the automotive Prince of Darkness - cos that's what you got on a cold damp morning ?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    LucasReplacementSmokeKit1.jpg
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite

Any thoughts?

Yaris. :cool:
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JP08 wrote: »
    From what I remember about Lucas electrics in the old bangers I used to run that was definitely the case. Certainly wasn't any reliability with the components they did supply.

Wasn't Lucas once referred to as being the automotive Prince of Darkness - cos that's what you got on a cold damp morning ?

The wires were fine, lovely and thick and came in multiple colours, (not just white), it was the stuff connected to them that broke- usually corrosion at the crimped on connectors, but dead easy to fix.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 10:30PM
    OK....

The switch between dipped and high beams being shot and the headlights being on all the time are all related as is, I suspect, the wipers.

You need to replace both the indicator and wiper stalks. The indicator stalk is causing both the issues with dipped and main beam and the headlights to be on because its basically in "flash" mode due to worn contacts/plastic bits inside the stalk. Yes from a dealer they're £100+ but from a scrapyard or even Ebay you'll get both for less than £59 delivered and its possible to fit them yourself or its an hours labour at a garage.

The pulling to the right is most likely tracking. All cars need it done at some time or another and its £30.

The metallic jingling sound is likely to be a loose exhaust heatshield and a minimal repair cost because all a tyre and exhaust place would do is put a larger washer on it or take it off altogether.

The belts do need doing though.

You say for what it would cost to do it you could get another car of the same vintage but there's a high chance another car of the same vintage is going to want the belts doing, the clutch may be as worn as yours and its likely to have different faults. You're literally taking a gamble if you buy a car as to whether its worse than yours or not for that money.
  • blink18
    blink18 Posts: 685 Forumite
    I hope you're not driving this heap on the road.

Behave, it's a few minor issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport