Citywing liquidation - help needed

kidmiracleman
kidmiracleman Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 13 March 2017 at 12:39PM in Consumer rights
Hi,

I had purchased a flight with this company in November 2016 - due to commence April 2017.
Unfortunately the company issued a national press release on Friday stating that they have gone into liquidation.

(you can google for the announcement, since noobs cannot post links)
It looks like this is going to be a drawn out process - so I am looking into issuing a Visa dispute / chargeback in order to get a refund quicker.
I have contacted my bank (Halifax) and they have acknowledged that the transaction has taken place. However, there seems to be a sticking point in that they are asking for proof that the company is actually insolvent before issuing the chargeback.

Initially they asked for individual correspondence from the company that they would not be offering the service due to going into liquidation - only after I pointed out that this would not be feasible (who is even working there to issue such notes?). They then relented and asked for a screen grab of the press release AND a information listing from companies house or the insolvency service stating that this firm is currently being wound up.

This brings me to my problem (and my questions).

1.)This company is registered in the Isle of Mann - but when I check the register they are still marked as a going concern
2.)How long does it typically take for these records to be updated? does the company even have to update them?
3.)Is what Halifax are asking for standard practice? or a fob off?

Thanks in advance,
Kid

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It's standard practice, they can't just take your word for it.

If they are in liquidation then there will be a liquidator appointed, you just need to wait until the appointment is made which should be soon.
  • Thanks,

Seems slightly onerous that the burden of proof rests with the consumer here. I wait it out for a while. Hopefully the company register gets updated soon.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks,

Seems slightly onerous that the burden of proof rests with the consumer here. I wait it out for a while. Hopefully the company register gets updated soon.
    Seems perfectly reasonable to me that you should be expected to justify why you should receive a refund.
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Did you see this page on the CAA website?
    https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-travel-problems/Travel-company-problems/Failure-of-scheduled-airlines/

There is a 'negative response letter' which may help you with your bank.

Also it indicates that some routes are being taken over by Eastern Airways- not sure if that helps you.
  • I'm often quite embarrassed when I read about Manx registered companies...
  • booksurr
    booksurr Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    I'm often quite embarrassed when I read about Manx registered companies...
    why? you chose to go into exile, so what happens on the Island surely has nothing to do with you any more
  • Justification has already been provided. What I consider onerous is the necessity for the consumer to provide physical evidence, (over and above the company actually issuing a press release stating categorically that they have entered liquidation), that a firm is under a winding up order.

I am reasonably au fait with the workings of company liquidation - but what about the layman ? having to faff about on the Gazzette and companies house register ..etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure