Not returning to work after maternity leave - am I entitled to benefits?

I'm hoping that someone may know the answer to this question

I am about to go on maternity leave in next few weeks. If I decide at end of maternity leave not to go back to work am I entitled to Income Support or any other benefits. I may have a problem with childcare and due to recent relationship breakdown will be single mother to 3 children, one 5 years old, 1 3 years old and the new baby when it arrives.

I have been told that if I resign from my job in the last month of maternity leave that because I am making myself out of work voluntarily I won't be able to claim anything. Is this correct? Not sure what I will live off as I live in a rural area and my childminder is my ex's sister who is already saying she may not want to continue to act as childminder and the cost of childcare and travel will prohibit me continuing in my job with 2 children under 5 years in childcare (even taking into account any tax credits) any advice would be appreciated.

I am at my wits end at what I am going to do as if I am unable to get or pay for childcare I am not sure what my options are likely to be other than stay at home but then what do I live off?

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lijojo wrote: »
    I have been told that if I resign from my job in the last month of maternity leave that because I am making myself out of work voluntarily I won't be able to claim anything. Is this correct?

For JSA it is. Don't think it's the same with income support.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • karenx
    karenx Posts: 4,988 Forumite
    Yes you can claim income support once your maternity pay ends. Your working tax credits will also stop
  • Killmark
    Killmark Posts: 314 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lijojo wrote: »
    I am at my wits end at what I am going to do as if I am unable to get or pay for childcare I am not sure what my options are likely to be other than stay at home but then what do I live off?

What about Child Support from the father? If you can't come to a agreement you could always take it up with the CSA and let them deal with it.
  • KeaneFan10
    KeaneFan10 Posts: 203 Forumite
    So easy isn't it .... so will the father to these children be providing maintenance for them ?
    :AAutism isn't the end of the world just a journey to another one:A
  • talulah25
    talulah25 Posts: 311 Forumite
    here's a thought, stop producing kids with random men unless you can afford to keep them. Try the pill or the implant or get a coil fitted. Or better still have some morals

What an extremely USEFUL comment :mad: did your mother never tell you if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything???

This lady did not ask for comments on her personal situation, simply advice to help her make an informed decision!

Ignore her lijojo and congrats on your impending arrival :j
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    here's a thought, stop producing kids with random men unless you can afford to keep them. Try the pill or the implant or get a coil fitted. Or better still have some morals

How rude! All three children could well be from the same relationship and the OP does mention a recent relationship breakdown. She may have been able to afford to keep her children without relying on benefits before the break-up, as she mentions having a childminder while she works. I can understand that things might be difficult now that she and her ex are no longer together, as her childminder is her ex's sister.

Without knowing her personal situation, you have no right to judge the OP :mad:

I am also a single mother of three - all were born when I was married to the same man, who later decided to leave us and start a new family elsewhere. Being a single parent is not always the result of a woman is sleeping around :mad:
  • richardvc
    richardvc Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!

Sammie, I have noticed that you make a lot of very judgemental comments on a wide range of subjects freely criticising all and sundry

Since your moral code is so high and you have such a depth of knowledge, please could you start a thread lecturing all of us on how to live our lives the 'sammie' way as that looks like the way to go.......... I think it would be a winner !!!!:)
    Thanks to MSE I cleared £37k of debt in five years and I was lucky enough to meet Martin to thank him personally.
  • Amistoso_2
    Amistoso_2 Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    eek, seems someone was allowed the use of the computer unsupervised last night!!
    going by the other posts from her I wouldn't take it personally OP, looks like a wind up merchant.
    3 young children is a handfull to look after and to be honest I don't blame you for not wanting to return to work straight away, as has been said you should be fine for IS after your maternity pay ends. Remember to apply for LHA and CT benefit too
    Hope all goes well :)
  • Firewallrob
    Firewallrob Posts: 68 Forumite
    Might be worth mentioning that you can block these "perma-outraged" idiots - just click on their names, then view public profile - and the option is there.
  • lijojo
    lijojo Posts: 9 Forumite

Sammie:

1. How dare you assume my children are with random men. I have been married for 22 years.
    2. All of my children were planned in the knowledge both my husband and I were both in full-time employment. I have worked since I left school at 16 years of age and have NEVER CLAIMED BENEFITS It was always envisaged I would go back to work after I had this child and unfortunately it is circumstances which are now dictating I may not be able to return to work due to non-availability of childcare.
    3. Without even knowing the full facts or me personally what gives you the right to tell me to have some morals.

It must be so nice to be as perfect as you just remember one thing pride comes before a fall!:mad:

Thanks to all the others who posted helpful replies. Unfortunately my husband has been made redundant from his job after 15 years so maintenance is probably going to be a problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure