Tom Tom versus Garmin.(Which sat nav)

I am about to buy a Tom Tom. I was set on the Tom tom one, but now fancy the Go 710 as it has hands free as well. Most only have the old 6.5 version maps and I was keen to have the 6.75 map. That said I am told the 6.75 maps are teleatlas (Tom toms new supplier) and are not as good.

Garmin i believe use Nav tech (Tom toms old map supplier) which many claim to be more relaible. Am i fussing over nothing or should I be considering the Garmin Tom tom.If so which one. Is there anything on the Garmin ones that is not as good as Tom Tom.Also is there anything better than the Garmin ones..

My budget is about £250.Also it sounds a pain keep removing the sucker off the windscreen to prevent car theft.Any help or advice here!

Please please help, experienced sat nav people.

Cheers,

Tony

Comments

• dkent
    dkent Posts: 226 Forumite
    Garmin: Nuvi 310

it's a great little unit
  • I can't comment on the Garmin as I've only ever used a Tom Tom and am very happy with it. I have the basic TOM TOM ONE and it is very easy to use and I have never had any problems with it.
  • Aiadi
    Aiadi Posts: 1,840 Forumite
    Both are excellent devices. Navteq maps (Garmin) are known to be slightly more accurate and Garmin's routing algorithm has always been noted to be slightly superior. TomTom (always used TeleAtlas apart fom few models e.g rider AFAIK) has more bells and whistles when it comes to the user's interface and friendliness (for example more options to set alternative routes). Whaere do you drive mostly (I mean cities or rural areas ar both)?
    Do I want it? ......Do I need it? ......What would happen if I don't buy it??????
  • tonymarsden
    tonymarsden Posts: 19 Forumite
    Thanks, both cities and rural, mainly in the UK.

Cheers,

Tony
  • scotty76
    scotty76 Posts: 29 Forumite
    A bit late to this thread but have you seen this review at all?

http://www.onlydanno.co.uk/?p=76

Might give some context to the TomTom vs Garmin debate.

For what it's worth I have a Nuvi 310D which has been great. It's dead easy to use and very compact. I also seem to be one of the lucky few that has had much success with the traffic alerts / re-routing, it has saved me on a couple of occassions. Lots of information on all the options available at:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums
  • Norman-B
    Norman-B Posts: 1,638
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I can't comment on the Garmin as I've only ever used a Tom Tom and am very happy with it. I have the basic TOM TOM ONE and it is very easy to use and I have never had any problems with it.

Can you choose Fast or Direct with the TT One? ie, in selecting an address, can I go direct or quickest. I hope you can make head or tail of this!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure