Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1680
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Sep 15, 7:07 PM
    • 14,213 Posts
    • 38,520 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Breaking news... Greek customs personnel and police have captured 14 containers full of weapons and ammunition, disguised as plastic furniture items destined to refugee camps in Europe.

Is this a case of the comeback of the Trojan horse ???
    Originally posted by 1Tonsil
    Wunderbar! - NOT......

Have you got a link to that?

EDIT; ...and now wondering just who made the flippin' weapons in the first place (wouldn't be surprised if British arms manufacturers are included in that....). Way back - there were people doing Peace Studies near me and I seem to recall one of the very first points was "Search for the weapon manufacturers and sellers - they are at root of this". Sort of cherchez la femme - but in a very different context...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 14-09-2015 at 7:10 PM.
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 14th Sep 15, 7:33 PM
    • 9,433 Posts
    • 55,688 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    [QUOTE=Runcorn Bridge;691580

On a different note, I've just put Chrome on my PC, (instructions from my 'fixer' as MS is clogging it up too much) and now MSE is on THAT OTHER screen, I can't bear it !! can someone please oblige with the distructions to get back to the older and better format.

Many Thanks[/QUOTE]
    Click on User CP then at the bottom of the list you will see Manage Version. Click on that and you can switch between formats.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • Frugalsod
    • By Frugalsod 14th Sep 15, 7:46 PM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 38,651 Thanks
    Frugalsod
    One thing that does not appear to have been mentioned is the impact of the refugee crisis on the coming elections in Greece and Spain. I wonder if this will push both elections towards extremist parties and accelerate major changes what ever they are?
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 14th Sep 15, 8:02 PM
    • 9,834 Posts
    • 51,608 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    and started by showing a statue of 4 stone horses.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Was it stone horses, or the bronze "Freedom" horses, at the Airlift Museum, in Berlin?
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Sep 15, 8:06 PM
    • 11,427 Posts
    • 219,619 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Breaking news... Greek customs personnel and police have captured 14 containers full of weapons and ammunition, disguised as plastic furniture items destined to refugee camps in Europe.

This seems rather strange to me and I'd like to know more, if you have anything further. Such as which refugee camps have been long-enough established and are able to make international orders for plastic furniture? Surely the refugees themselves aren't ordering it up, and national governments are probably running any refugee camps and Germany is buying IKEYA beds in quantity, in Germany, for example. If a few thousand placcy garden chairs and tables are required, they are widely-available in every country on the planet and are probably manufactured in China and shipped direct from there in sealed containers with a lead time of several weeks.

To me this all sounds a little implausible, but I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

An Iraqi acquaintance tells me that that Iraq is issuing passports to its citizens at the rate of 100,000 a week and many people have already left the country and millions more are intending to. He's been back there very recently, his information may or may not be reliable.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• armyknife
    • By armyknife 14th Sep 15, 9:17 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 2,502 Thanks
    armyknife
    What exactly do all of these 'migrants are covert terrorists' posts have to do with the thread topic?
    • armyknife
    • By armyknife 14th Sep 15, 9:22 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 2,502 Thanks
    armyknife

The truth is it was a vessel stopped at Crete on it's way to Libya, probably the rebels in Misrata, so Exactly the opposite direction to the route taken by the the refugees and migrants.

http://www.customstoday.com.pk/greece-coast-guards-detains-ship-carrying-over-5000-firearms-ammunition/

Reported by: `Customs Today Report September 3, 2015

ATHENS: Over 5,000 firearms and more than 490,000 rounds of ammunition have been found onboard the suspicious general cargo vessel arrested in Crete yesterday, and there could well be more still to be found.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 15-09-2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Language / Copyright
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Sep 15, 10:21 PM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,019 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1T is only sending us information that she's coming across. She's a lot closer to the problem than any of us here in the UK and the information where she lives might not be into the public domaine nearly as quickly as information is here. It's useful to have her slant on things just as it is from any other one of us. We ALL share the problem no matter where we live these days, some more directly than others of us, unity is so much more helpful than discord isn't it?
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Sep 15, 7:30 AM
    • 14,213 Posts
    • 38,520 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    One thing that does not appear to have been mentioned is the impact of the refugee crisis on the coming elections in Greece and Spain. I wonder if this will push both elections towards extremist parties and accelerate major changes what ever they are?
    Originally posted by Frugalsod
    Personally - I'm not even wondering if that is what will happen. This has just guaranteed it is indeed what will happen.

On another tack entirely - and it is the refugee crisis that has sealed the fact that Britain will be voting to come out of the EU. It may have been more "touch and go" - though I thought it likely we would be coming out before this all went ballistic. There's no "touch and go" about it anymore - we ARE definitely coming out and there is no option for it. It is the only way we can exert control over who/how many/when/etc people come into Britain. We have to be able to decide, on an individual basis, who lives here. We are then free to decide to take genuine refugees and any economic migrants that would be of benefit to us and reject any who look like they might possibly be Isis or economic migrants that wouldn't benefit us.
    #MeToo

• Frugalsod
    • By Frugalsod 15th Sep 15, 8:58 AM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 38,651 Thanks
    Frugalsod
    Personally it was the treatment of Greece by the EU that made me change my mind. Prior to that I was pro EU. Though the decision to just heap more pain onto Greece to stop the other governments having to admit that they bailed out their banks is the final nail for me.

The migrant situation is not as crucial to me. The fact that we have a xenophobic government is already pandering to the far right is bad enough. The other aspect is that these people are leaving their homes as a last resort. Think of it as bugging out en masse. We have discussed this here and I personally will not plan to bug out unless absolutely necessary. This is what the millions from Syria and elsewhere have done.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
    • 1Tonsil
    • By 1Tonsil 15th Sep 15, 11:23 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 4,458 Thanks
    1Tonsil
    Originally posted by Frugalsod

I have been wondering exactly the same thing to be honest. I do not have a vote here, unfortunately. I think that the more the crisis brings troubles to the Greeks , the more likely they are to vote for the Golden Dawn. Whoever is in, I think there is massive trouble ahead, not just for Greece but for Italy and others too.

I have just been reading the news from Europe and it seems that there are huge issues going on. Most worrying was this quote I saw from the EU ... Germany's interior minister is backing the idea of cutting European Union funding to countries that refuse to share the burden of hosting refugees.

Several EU countries, particularly in the former Eastern bloc, have rejected calls from Germany and the EU's executive Commission for mandatory quotas to spread refugees out among the 28-nation bloc.

German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said Tuesday there needs to be discussion of how to exert pressure. He told ZDF television that the countries rejecting quotas often receive significant amounts of EU funding.

He said that Commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker has suggested -- "and I find that right" -- that "we should talk about (them) getting less money from the structural funds."

I have been thinking for a while that the migrants have been used as a political weapon against Greece, Italy and some other countries. This has sort of confirmed my fears.... we take back all the migrants or they do not give any of the money we have suffered five years of austerity for.

On a more personal note, I shared an article online saying that putin thought the migrants were the biggest threat to Europe so far. I got two really nasty threatening messages from Muslim female fundamentalists threatening me via my Facebook. I have reported and blocked both of them.

I am having serious doubts about going to London and Glasgow this year for Christmas and New year. I would be safer staying at home on this island, which may well get cut off this winter.
    • Runcorn Bridge
    • By Runcorn Bridge 15th Sep 15, 11:30 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    Runcorn Bridge
    Nargleblast- Found it ! Changed it ! Yippee.

Many Thanks
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Sep 15, 11:31 AM
    • 14,213 Posts
    • 38,520 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    My "you what?" reading about the migrant situation latest was reading the Guardian online today and finding that discussion is going on about having camps or the like for migrants in Africa for instance.

Errrrm....there is just one tiny possible problem I foresee there - errr....that would be in Somebody Else's Country then would it?
    #MeToo

• 1Tonsil
    • By 1Tonsil 15th Sep 15, 11:31 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 4,458 Thanks
    1Tonsil
    I see you have already been reported for trolling threads and causing trouble Armyknife, or is it modsandmockers? I am not even rising to the bait. I have better things to do with my time.
    • Gingerjar
    • By Gingerjar 15th Sep 15, 11:59 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    Gingerjar
    Well done Army Knife and Modsandmockers!
    2012 Saving challenge £1000/£400! Woo!
    • elona
    • By elona 15th Sep 15, 12:01 PM
    • 11,305 Posts
    • 60,551 Thanks
    elona
    A family member works for an energy company and has asked me to make sure I have candles etc as she saw how near we came to brownouts or blackouts last year.

DH moved a lot of my stuff including solar energy lamps but I am going to root around and try to find them. Fortunately (as a result of a lot of research) I have a gas hob that should still work if the electrics are off, a "magic cooker" that works like a slow cooker but uses no electric and spare wind up torches etc.

I have just ordered a few more solar lamps and will give at least one each to DDs who have their own homes now.

1tonsil

I am so sorry you got threats and now have to consider personal safety as well as everything else.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Sep 15, 12:18 PM
    • 28,180 Posts
    • 155,255 Thanks
    Karmacat
    1tonsil

I am so sorry you got threats and now have to consider personal safety as well as everything else.
    Originally posted by elona
    Seconded. Starting to get a bit ugly here too
    Retired August 2016
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Sep 15, 1:23 PM
    • 14,213 Posts
    • 38,520 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I have a "magic cooker" that works like a slow cooker but uses no electric and spare wind up torches etc.

1tonsil

Originally posted by elona

Can we have a link please to that "magic cooker"??

Also seconded re sympathy to 1Tonsil re the threats received. Am definitely coming to the conclusion these days that intimidation is the last resort of those with opposing opinions.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 15-09-2015 at 1:26 PM.
    #MeToo

• armyknife
    • By armyknife 15th Sep 15, 1:33 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 2,502 Thanks
    armyknife
    I see you have already been reported for trolling threads and causing trouble Armyknife, or is it modsandmockers? I am not even rising to the bait. I have better things to do with my time.

What a bizarre thing to say.

Fact is you're the one filling this otherwise interesting thread with a consistent drip-drip of anti-refugee posts some of which sourced from rather dubious sources.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Sep 15, 1:43 PM
    • 14,213 Posts
    • 38,520 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    iTonsil is using a variety of sources on the one hand.

On the other hand - she is right at the epicentre of what is happening now and what she sees happening in their Today is what could well happen in our Tomorrow.

To me - 1Tonsil is British on the one hand - but is obviously thinking/reacting much like a Greek (ie her adopted country) on the other hand. As I said a while back she is "Greek in her head" by the sound of it - so we are getting a viewpoint that is very much mixed British/Greek from what I can see and I personally think that's quite a valuable take on things to have (ie someone with a foot in both cultures).
    #MeToo

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,398Posts Today

7,666Users online

Martin's Twitter