We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Lawnmowers

Options
thelawnet
thelawnet Posts: 2,577 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
We've got a Flymo mower, it doesn't cut very well albeit that the blade looks pretty beat up. £15 for a new one from Amazon.

Do you think I should replace the blade or just buy a better mower?

Comments

• david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    Flymo's never seem to give a good cut at the best of times. They're OK just to make the lawn look as if it's not neglected but for a proper finish, you need something better.

After using a Flymo for some years, my daughter went off to the local garden superstore and bought a hand-push cylinder machine for under £40 that gives a superb cut, with stripes. She says that it is easy to push (unlike those of years ago) and she actually enjoys lawnmowing now, as it keeps her in trim as well as the lawn.
  • grannybroon
    grannybroon Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our lawn mower packed in the other day. I bought a new one from B&Q on Wednesday (their own make) for just over £44.00 less my 10%. It is a rotary mower with three cutting heights and the reviews were excellent. Haven't used it as yet apart from testing it worked. It replaced an older model of B&Q's mowers which lasted years. Good value I think.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,555 Forumite
    Options
    You will find that replacing the blade does make a big difference - I did with my flymo.
  • timbim_2
    timbim_2 Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whatever you do, to keep the blade in good shape, get a sharpening stone and run that over the blade after each use. Should stop the blade bluntening heavily. Also avoid mowing over stones.
    Ubuntu is an ancient African word, meaning: 'I can't configure Debian'.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    edited 3 June 2012 at 1:11AM
    Options
    I bought a new Bosch. Rotak 37. £100 from Argos.

The larger models have a more powerful motor.

Which Best Buy.

Was tempted by the battery powered version, but it's £100 more expensive.

Much better than Flymo....

Grass catcher a bit small.

Probably knackered the blade a bit already, hit a few stones, the garden is a bit of a jungle.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    timbim wrote: »
    Also avoid mowing over stones.

I love advice like this. :rotfl:

How many of us run over stones deliberately? They are a fact of life in some gardens due to soil conditions, and in my case, chickens too.

That said, my old Flymo coped well with the conditions here for a couple of seasons, but the salient word here is 'old,' because I hear from others that the newer ones are not so robust.

Rotaks now seem to get more positive reviews.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bear in mind, the cheaper the mower-the less chance of getting spares if it goes wrong.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • ukbill69
    ukbill69 Posts: 2,789 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Always petrol, will never use electric again!
    Kind Regards
    Bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family