Aviva or STwater

Options
Massive leak from joint on water meter under kitchen sink
Tap to house worked but other tap didn't so water continued to spray
Checked outside stop tap to discover filled with mud, tried to clear but couldn't locate.

Called ST at about 19:30hrs Due to some 'glitch' which apparently didn't request someone as was previously told a 'few' hours turned into 5+ for Severntrent so send out a contractor from AMEY who told my partner it was a split washer connected to meter that had gone, he also replaced tap and took photos to send to STW who will apparently contact us on Monday. The man left our hour at 01:45!

Now this is a first for us to have to make a claim on anything to do with damage to property..

Do I ring Aviva to start the ball rolling later or do I ring Severn Trent on Monday who I hope should deal with it all without needing to interfere with insurance.

As you can imagine we are now left with what can only be described as a damp soggy carpet (amongst other things) which will inevitably develop a smell due to the time of year and pure amount of water making it virtually impossible to dry out.

The damage is to my kitchen units, the flooring, the wall which leads into my lounge diner, wall paper, carpet, curtains and blinds and possibly more! So bloody annoying.

I've not a clue on the speed that these things should be dealt with but seriously hope something is done ASAP

Thanks in advance to any advice anyone can give
Living in our forever house!
Two little princesses
:grouphug: <
I find this disturbing!

Comments

• paddyandstumpy
    Options
    It sounds like you have home emergency cover with STWater?

That fixes the immediate problem, but it's your insurer that will repair the resultant damage caused by the escape of water.

Take pictures of everything asap, call your insurers over the weekend (most are 24/7 and can at the very least get the ball rolling) and don't throw anything out without their permission.

The first step will most likely be dryers and dehumidifiers to get rid of the dampness in the air.

If the property is deemed uninhabitable you opt to stay in the property whilst it's being repaired (and you have alternative accommodation cover) you should be entitled to a disturbance allowance, this is normally £10 per day per adult.

It sounds like both buildings and contents are damaged, meaning a claim under both sections. I hope for your sake you've got both covers with the same company, or you'll have 2 excesses to pay (normally £250+ for escape of water) and 2 insurers to deal with.
  • wannapayoff
    Options
    It sounds like you have home emergency cover with STWater?

That fixes the immediate problem, but it's your insurer that will repair the resultant damage caused by the escape of water.

Take pictures of everything asap, call your insurers over the weekend (most are 24/7 and can at the very least get the ball rolling) and don't throw anything out without their permission.

The first step will most likely be dryers and dehumidifiers to get rid of the dampness in the air.

If the property is deemed uninhabitable you opt to stay in the property whilst it's being repaired (and you have alternative accommodation cover) you should be entitled to a disturbance allowance, this is normally £10 per day per adult.

It sounds like both buildings and contents are damaged, meaning a claim under both sections. I hope for your sake you've got both covers with the same company, or you'll have 2 excesses to pay (normally £250+ for escape of water) and 2 insurers to deal with.

Hello, thanks for the reply!

We don't have emergency cover with STwater but they came out and replaced the meter, seized tap and a bit of pipe using a contractor who said STwater will cover cost. It was a split washer going into/out of? Water meter that set it all off. I'm guessing as it was around the meter itself they had a duty to come sort it and thankfully after 5+ hours they did! (Wouldn't have taken so long if they didn't have a 'glitch' which forgot about us :eek:)

Called Aviva this afternoon and been given reference with a claims manager (who does everything apparently) surveyor due within 2 working days..but more than likely Monday.
    The guy at Aviva said it's very rare they'll get anything back off STW as they will claim wear and tear on equipment.

:j

So now we wait for the drying and the replacement of wall paper, carpets flooring kitchen units blinds and curtains (which are stained with manky water

Hubby has bought a dehumidifier for £40 from B&M to start it all off as it's going to start stinking soon isn't it !?

And why do these things always happen on a bloody Friday night!!!
    Two little princesses
    I find this disturbing!
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 October 2016 at 4:33PM
    Options
    I doubt a surveyor will be out on Monday... they are usually closed weekends so are likely to contact you on Monday with an appointment. Unless it's not a surveyor and is some other kind of company? IE disaster restoration etc?

It's only the carpets that might start to stink a bit, but you should be OK to take those up and keep them (Double check with insurer first though). I'd put heating on as well to assist with the drying as a dehumidifier doesn't dry it just cleans the air and stops condensation and mould from building up and reduce dampness in walls etc.
  • wannapayoff
    Options
    Just had a call off the person coming to assess damage and they're coming at 10am tomorrow morning! They live locally and used to live on my old street &#55357;&#56397;&#55356;&#57339;
    Two little princesses
    I find this disturbing!
  • paddyandstumpy
    Options
    Great news.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing