Would you accept a service charge from a pub?

Options
123457»

Comments

• vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quite a few years ago we were invited to The Sanderson Hotel when it first opened for a complimentary meal. As we were early we headed to the bar and ordered 2 JD's & Cokes. I handed over a £20 note and received my change on a silver dish - all 80 pence of it. :eek:

On checking the receipt I was charged for the drinks AND a 12.5% service charge.... for going to the bar and ordering myself. :mad:
    The man without a signature.
  • miniandfloss
    Options
    I'm another that feels you should only tip when the service has been good. There are so many places now that the service is below par so i'm always happy to tip well when served by a friendly helpful person. I hate the assumed service charge on a bill.
  • DSmiffy
    DSmiffy Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    I think many people pay tips-gratuity because the feel embarrass to be seen by other people for not to giving a tip, not because of the services.

Many services that we receive are standard services that any people who visit the restaurant will get .

Why nobody is giving a tip to a teenager who is working in McDonald, Burger King, Subway. Did not they give a you a proper service? These people are more desperate for tip considering they are working in the place where are most likely to be paid a minimum wage. Particually in Subway, they are serving people but at the same time they are preparing food for people.

What about the people working in the kitchen do not they deserve a tip ?

Why would you tip these people at McDonalds, Burger King KFC etc??
    They are not waiting on at your table, bringing your food to your table, asking if everything is ok with your food, taking extra drinks orders at the table, pouring your wine for you, coming round and asking if you would like desserts, bringing coffees etc. These are self service restaurnats. That's why people do not tip. You don't tip and then serve yourself. That is not service in my book and does not warrant a service charge, not do I feel obligated to leave a tip.

I work in a pub. The bar staff get their tips which they keep. The waiters and waitresses pool their tips which then gets split between all the waiting staff on that shift including the kitchen staff and chefs.
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DSmiffy wrote: »
    They are not waiting on at your table, bringing your food to your table, asking if everything is ok with your food, taking extra drinks orders at the table, pouring your wine for you, coming round and asking if you would like desserts, bringing coffees etc. These are self service restaurnats. That's why people do not tip. You don't tip and then serve yourself. That is not service in my book and does not warrant a service charge, not do I feel obligated to leave a tip.

What about retail, not everyone earns commission and if they do it's only on sales, not every customer is a sale. What about the ladies that work in the little make up counters who trial with you 50 different shades of god knows what, or someone in a sports shop talking you through which are the best shoes for running instead of biking. I worked in a mobile phone shop for quite a few years. I was paid an hourly wage plus commission for sales but not every customer was a sale, there were lots of queries, hand holding, showing people how to use things, set up email, transfer everything to a new phone, sometimes spending hours with one customer where I could have been making sales. I didn't want to be tipped for this, it was my job and I was paid a wage to do it and keep customers happy - if a waitress is tipped over and above their wage for service so then so should every other service
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    reehsetin wrote: »
    What about retail, not everyone earns commission and if they do it's only on sales, not every customer is a sale. What about the ladies that work in the little make up counters who trial with you 50 different shades of god knows what, or someone in a sports shop talking you through which are the best shoes for running instead of biking. I worked in a mobile phone shop for quite a few years. I was paid an hourly wage plus commission for sales but not every customer was a sale, there were lots of queries, hand holding, showing people how to use things, set up email, transfer everything to a new phone, sometimes spending hours with one customer where I could have been making sales. I didn't want to be tipped for this, it was my job and I was paid a wage to do it and keep customers happy - if a waitress is tipped over and above their wage for service so then so should every other service
    Not quite. A service charge, especially when I take a group of twenty or more out for entertainment, is so we have a good time, and get the service we demand. That means we are prepared to poay for a dedicated waiter, wine waiter for our area. if we do not get this, we do not pay for the servcie charge.

As for working on a checkout till, you are paid to sit there and let the customer pack their bags. your are there and paid whether I shop there or not. Different to being there, as a servcie when my group are there.

Commision is a reward, over and above your wage, for a sale. Not a service charge on the customer.
  • DSmiffy
    DSmiffy Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    reehsetin wrote: »

I think what you are confusing here is Customer Service with Service.... The fact that you help customers to select the right product and provide an after sales service is surely part of your company policy,. It's what makes you stand out from all the other mobile phone shops. When good customer service results in a sale you are rewarded with commission. If it's exceptional customer service you will be rewarded with a repeat visit and repeat purchase from that customer, hence more commission. I am sure the wage for working in the phone shop and commission on goods is still more than a waiter earns, it is a notoriously low paid job, hence the tips.
  • catwoman73
    Options
    I am sure the wage for working in the phone shop and commission on goods is still more than a waiter earns, it is a notoriously low paid job, hence the tips.

Most retail is minimum wage or a few pence an hour above NMW, with very little in the way of tips, commission, bonuses etc. The best you can hope for is a discount on whatever the shop sells.

The only way that waiting tables can pay less is for the employer to illegally fail to pay the NMW. It is not up to customers to make up for this.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd have said something or given the pub feedback after if it would have caused hassle.

I think the entire concept of tipping to top up wages is appalling. No other industry does this and, legally, employers should be paying their staff the minimum wage at least not using tips to make up the difference. The onus is on employers to pay a fair, legal wage to the staff they employ. If you can't afford it then your business is a failure and you shouldn't be trading. But, I suspect, it's more about lining their own pockets than not making ends meet.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • DanW87
    DanW87 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of places will add on for a table of 6 or more but it doesn't have to be paid. I'm from the Cambridge area and i've never heard of a waiter refusing a tip and pointing out the service charge!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure