Stepchange general questions

Time_to_face_the_music
Time_to_face_the_music Posts: 5,454 Forumite
Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
edited 3 December 2012 at 1:24PM in Debt-free wannabe
I’d say that we find the majority of the time creditors are willing to stop or reduce interest. The biggest factor tends to be if they can see that there is a genuine debt problem and the payment being offered is reasonable. This doesn’t guarantee a payment will be accepted but it certainly improves the chances.

I'd say it depends on how close your DMP payment is to the minimum payment that makes the difference. If a creditor thinks you can afford the minimum payment, they think you can afford the interest too :mad:

I actually find the comment about genuine debt problem and payment being offered as reasonable a tad offensive. We have a genuine debt problem and were able to make very reasonable payment offers but M&S did not consider we should have our interest stopped. Neither did NatWest. Or Lloyds TSB.

Any idea on how to improve that James?
LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
:staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
"Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
Proud to have dealt with our debt :)

Comments

• UpToMyNeckInIt
    UpToMyNeckInIt Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 December 2012 at 12:22AM
    Sorry to stir up the hornets nest, but in my opinion, based on my experience:

The Myth:

Stepchange is a free, independent charity.

The Reality:

They ain't independent: They are sponsored and funded by banks and other credit companies, (you will find this information buried in the very small print if you look hard enough on their website).

That's who's interests they will look out for first and foremost. You will be railroaded into a DMP which maximises creditor return. Want to be in debt 10-15 Years? Go right ahead and go down this route.

Fact:

They use the 'mushroom' debt management model (ie: they keep you in the dark and feed you bull**** lol). Stepchange will (if you are self-employed and deemed eleigible for an IVA), refer you to Grant Thornton (one of those 'dreadful' private companies that they advise you not to approach in the first instance).

Reality:

My situation is: I have £40K personal debt, I own 2 properties and am self-employed. Stepchange (or CCCS as they were then), wanted me to sell my second property (my pension), releasing the £6k equity, and take out a 10-Year DMP, and making me £3k a year worse off in lost rent, telling me I would not be suitable for an IVA.

Went with a well-regarded private firm in the end who wrangled it so that I could keep the rental property (me making a profit means greater return to creditors), so I was v. happy with that.

My only minor beef is that I was charged a £70 admin fee + 1 Month's IVA payment for their services. Very good as they are, there are IPs that charge no upfront fees whatsoever. (That said, if the IVA writes off £20-£23K of debt, what's £340?). Oh, and I'll be debt-free in 5-6 Years not 10-11 under a CCCS DMP.

Something to consider don't you think?
  • ChopinonaBudget
    ChopinonaBudget Posts: 987 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2012 at 5:11PM
    Actually, despite the confrontational nature of the post, it raises a very valid point, and one which stepchange might like to respond to..

Stepchange, PayPal etc are free services, and excellent ones at that, but they are run by people, and people not computers make judgement calls. Do all three charities tend to give the same advice on the same situation? Or would it be prudent to advice people in difficulties to seek advice from more than one charity before making any formal agreements?
    And do each charity have a preferred method of repayment? I have heard that payload tend towards IVAs whilst stepchange tend towards DMP, so is that a myth that needs busting? Or is that actually a little bit true?
    I'm saying all of this with the greatest of respect to all of the charities' work, you all do a fantastic job. But there may be more than one way to skin a cat with some (all?) situations, and this might (should?) be addressed :)

In our house, when things break, we just pretend they still work
  • StepChange_James
    StepChange_James Posts: 861 Organisation Representative
    Hello,

We’re going a little off topic but I’ll just clear up a few of the things from the above posts then we’ll get back to the debt myths.

StepChange Debt Charity is a registered charity (no. 1016630) we provide free and impartial advice on all available debt solutions. This includes IVAs, DROs, bankruptcy, equity release, administration orders, self-administered token payments as well as DMPs.

We’ve always been up front about how we are funded, there is a section on this page of our website: http://www.stepchange.org/Aboutus/Ourapproach.aspx which explains it all. We receive funding from the credit industry which allows us to provide a free service to everyone who needs us.

I’ve never worked for any of the other free debt advice organisations, but as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity I’ve always made sure that the advice I give suits the person's situation that I’m speaking to. Sometimes there is more than one option which might be suitable and then it’s a matter of weighing up the pros and cons.

Hopefully that clears things up, but if anyone would like to ask us any questions please go to the “Ask a debt advisor a question” thread rather than posting here.

The next debt myth will be up shortly.

Thanks

James
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at Need to Sleep

• debtinfo
    debtinfo Posts: 7,012 Forumite
    The myth:

Overspending is the main cause of debt problems #debtmyths

The reality:

It’s easy to think that people who get into financial difficulty have got there because they’ve been daft with their money, frittering their cash on handbags and plasma screen TVs.

However the reality’s very different; the main causes of debt are job losses or pay cuts. We've an infographic that shows the difference between the perception and the reality: http://www.stepchange.org/infographics/causesofdebt.aspx#.ULY1t4dg95o.

Do you think people with debt problems are unfairly judged to be bad with money?

Hi Stepchange, just wanted to add to this a little to this one. I have in the past worked as an examiner for the insolvency service part of which involves really getting to the root course of a persons bankruptcy through examination of their whole financial history. There are really 2 questions involved in the above "what caused the build up of debt in the first place" and "what caused the insolvency" which often get conflated together which is why the myth perpetuates. on the first case it is spending in excess of ones income that causes most people to be in debt and it is important that people realise that because if they dont they put themselves in a position to become insolvent if they have a change of circumstances, Whilst it is true that most people do not just continue spending until they go bankrupt by building up a large debt by overspending they leave themselves vunverable. There are many people out there right now who could be tipped over the edge by a small change in circumstances.

The second question regerding why people actually go bankrupt is as you say often because of that life changing event, loss of job, marital split etc but people out there now need to look at their finances and ask themselves could that happen to me, is it wise for me to be spending more than my income now, what can i do to reduce my overall debt level even thogh i can manage the repayments at the moment because these tipping points often come without warning

DI
    Hi, im Debtinfo, i am an ex insolvency examiner and over the years have personally dealt with thousands of bankruptcy cases.
    Please note that any views i put forth are not those of my former employer The Insolvency Service and do not constitute professional advice, you should always seek professional advice before entering insolvency proceedings.
  • Depth_Charge
    Depth_Charge Posts: 970 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 8 December 2012 at 1:20AM
    The myth:

A debt management plan usually takes 10 years or more to pay off #debtmyths

The reality:

Many people approaching us for advice on debt management worry that a debt management plan (DMP) will take forever to clear their debts. We’ve gone back over the stats for our clients who’ve completed their DMPs and found that the average plan took five years, two weeks and five days to pay off (about the same as an IVA).

We’ve got an interesting blogpost if you’re curious about the difference between an IVA and a DMP.

Hi James

Interesting stats, but....

Surely this would depend on the debtors circumstances and disposable income as to how long a debt management plan takes to conclude.

Dont you have entry criteria for your debt management plans? so what happens to those that do not meet the criteria, surely your stats are false as you only count the ones you are prepared to take on - what happens to the rest and what percentage do they constitute?

What is the current entry criteria for your debt management plans and what happens to those that have a change of circumstances who fall below the entry criteria?

What happened to the token offer scheme you piloted, is it still operating?

I hope you respect these questions as they are very fair in my book given your claims and they are coming from a very experienced non-profit agency face to face debt adviser who deals with issues like this everyday.
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Hi Stepchange, just wanted to add to this a little to this one........................................ Whilst it is true that most people do not just continue spending until they go bankrupt by building up a large debt by overspending they leave themselves vulnerable. There are many people out there right now who could be tipped over the edge by a small change in circumstances.

I would like to add, quite often the original debt was relatively small....the oversized amounts which lead to a build-up, often come from excessive interest, and penalty charges.....some of which can seriously exceed the original amount of the debt.
    This contributes to the 'downward debt-cycle',until a point is reached where the debtor can no longer fund basic living expenses, without obtaining further credit to do so.
    Debt, in itself, moves from 'avoidable [& controllable]'....to 'unavoidable'..

As individuals, we are no different to giant corporations....or businesses.

We exist, financially, on a 'cash-flow' basis.

Just like Rover, sometimes cash-flow hits a crisis.
    Sadly, few of us have the financial or business acumen of the high-flying CEO's of this world...but eve they go under!

The second question regarding why people actually go bankrupt is as you say often because of that life changing event, loss of job, marital split etc but people out there now need to look at their finances and ask themselves could that happen to me, is it wise for me to be spending more than my income now, what can i do to reduce my overall debt level even though I can manage the repayments at the moment because these tipping points often come without warning

DI

I wholeheartedly agree with the above.....but...try and convince an 18 year old just starting work, that they should save for a pension, or a 'rainy day?'

What sort of opinion of ourselves would we expect to receive, if when someone announces they are 'getting married'....and we respond , 'are you sure about this? Are you prepared for divorce, property settlements, etc?'......or..'are you aware there is a greater chance of being run over by a bus, than the marriage surviving, till death etc?'

I've been married three times....[not all at once, though!]....each time, the last thing on my mind was, how long it would survive?

I have, in the past, been [almost] made redundant from a State-run industry [that's privatisation for you]. I worked in a job where the consensus was, 'a-job-for-life'.....ie, job security.

No such animal any more....

I work in a job, where, 10-15 years ago, we were promised a guaranteed pay progression.....based on skills and experience.

The skills and experience were undoubted..... the promised pay progression? Scotch mist! [that's the Civil Service for you!]

Unfortunately, we cannot impart the required cynicism into the under-50's that allow for the para above from DI.

After that, it's all about damage-limitation!
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • StepChange_James
    StepChange_James Posts: 861 Organisation Representative
    Hi James

Interesting stats, but....

Surely this would depend on the debtors circumstances and disposable income as to how long a debt management plan takes to conclude.

Dont you have entry criteria for your debt management plans? so what happens to those that do not meet the criteria, surely your stats are false as you only count the ones you are prepared to take on - what happens to the rest and what percentage do they constitute?

What is the current entry criteria for your debt management plans and what happens to those that have a change of circumstances who fall below the entry criteria?

What happened to the token offer scheme you piloted, is it still operating?

I hope you respect these questions as they are very fair in my book given your claims and they are coming from a very experienced non-profit agency face to face debt adviser who deals with issues like this everyday.

Hi Depthcharge,

We don’t have entry criteria for Debt Management Plans, when we give debt advice we look at all the available options and recommend what we think suits that persons situation the best. Of the people who approach us for advice, less than 1 in 5 are suitable for a Debt Management Plan (DMP) and we’ll support these people with whichever solution suits them best.

If someone’s finances change after they’ve had advice from us they can call us back up and we’ll give them fresh advice based on their new situation. If a different solutions suits them better then we’ll advise them on this.

We aren’t currently operating a token payments scheme.

Kind regards

James
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at Need to Sleep

• Depth_Charge
    Depth_Charge Posts: 970 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 11 December 2012 at 1:22AM
    Hi Depthcharge,

We don’t have entry criteria for Debt Management Plans, when we give debt advice we look at all the available options and recommend what we think suits that persons situation the best. Of the people who approach us for advice, less than 1 in 5 are suitable for a Debt Management Plan (DMP) and we’ll support these people with whichever solution suits them best.

If someone’s finances change after they’ve had advice from us they can call us back up and we’ll give them fresh advice based on their new situation. If a different solutions suits them better then we’ll advise them on this.

We aren’t currently operating a token payments scheme.

Kind regards

James

Hi James

Thanks for the reply

Could depend on your definition as suitable for a debt management plan I suppose.

If someone has a monthly amount of disposable income that would take them 15 years to clear their debts would you take them on under your standard DMPs where payments are distributed to creditors etc or would you refer them to self help or elsewhere.

Do you take people on in a debt management plan then irrespective of the level of their debts or their disposable income (including token offers) or how long the plan would take to conclude, hope you see my points given your previous claims.

Im pretty sure I read in a parliamemtry report somewhere that the token offer scheme was going to be rolled out in the latter part of 2012, I could probably find the link if I looked.

If I was to refer people to you for a debt management plan then I would need to know the above, I ask this as I was under the impression that 10 years was around the timescale that CCCS liked to adhere to and the minimum monthly disposable income figure was around the £100 mark.

PS - It is likely that I will be meeting with one of the representitives from Stepchange in the not to distant future about issues such as the above for potential referral purposes etc so I will likely gain all the relevant information first hand.

Maybe catch you later
  • GD2_2
    GD2_2 Posts: 53 Forumite
    But why would you need a minimum disposable income if you are asking a charity for help?

That's the bit I've never understood or had satisfactorily explained.
  • Freshstart2012
    Freshstart2012 Posts: 104 Forumite
    edited 11 December 2012 at 9:51PM
    Hi

I signed upto a DMP with StepChange a few years ago via National Debtline and I'm pretty sure that I had to have £100 a month surplus to be accepted.

It's the best thing I ever did and only wish I would of known about the help available when I was much younger, rather than letting things get out of control.

In my opinion research research research is the best way forward when you have a lot of debt. Knowing how to deal with creditors and not to be intimidated by them really helps, ie knowing your rights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure