PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am making socks and fingerless gloves for christmas presents and am well on the way. I did a practise pair of socks for me first and `ironed` out my mistakes. The next pair is going really well, using drops fabel yarn via garnstudio. Fantastic yarn and each pair will cost only £4.50

I also hate sewing together so will explore using circular needles to cut down on edges. I have made 5 baby tops but sewn them together quickly, the type of sewing that just will not do for better garments. I used to have 2 knitting machines and explored sewing together on a sewing machine. It can be done but requires feeder feet top and bottom and copious use of pins. The best way in the old days was via the hague linker but I gave that away when I downsized. I might possibly investigate sewing together with a crochet hook as that should give a very neat finish

I have also done bands with crochet. Very easy and gives a lovely finish

a recommended book for finishing is `finishing techniques for hand knitters` by jane crowfoot
  • conradmum
    conradmum Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I quite like the sewing up part! It's the endless lengths of stocking stitch that make me reluctant to take up the needles again.
    Inspired by this board, I've started a hat as a small project to use up some wool that must be 5 years old!
    Only managed tension square, casting on and 12 rows last night. :o Must watch more TV!
  • 1sttimer_2
    1sttimer_2 Posts: 728 Forumite
    Can't believe this site! I've just this weekend decided to knit myself a shrug for my hols after not knitting for absolutely ages and now I'm reading on my favourite site of others starting off again (spooky or what!)

In our town there used to be loads of wool/sewing shops and one by one they closed down. It must be a popular pastime again as we now have 2 wool shops in our smallish market place, and both seem to be quite busy.

I saw this chunky 200g ball of wool for £3, loved the colour of it but wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it (definately not another scarf). My DD recently bought herself a shrug (about £28 from M&S) and I thought I could knit one just as well as the one she bought - no pattern necessary - so I bought the wool Saturday and am already about 1/3 done! If it turns out ok, I will have saved £25 and got an original garmet!
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth-unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar." - Jerome K Jerome
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Great idea for a thread.

For making up a knitted item there are some things that make it much easier. Blocking the pieces and the way you decide to sew the seam are important. I always block and then pin and I find this way the result is always reasonable to good.

I've a couple of sites that help.

http://www.knittingcurmudgeon.com/BlockingforBlockheads.pdf

http://www.knitting.co.nz/site/page_affix/toaffix_learntoknit13/

If you want free patterns, google 'free knitting patterns' and you will have the choice of thousands of patterns for anything you could ever want to knit. The internet is all you need to learn to do everything to do with knitting, but there are usually lots of books in the library.

I also hate stocking stitch. I'm knitting a cardi at the minute, I am using a lovely feather and cable pattern, so far it's looking good. I bought the yarn in France. They have a better selection than us and the yarns are often cheaper.

If you decide to knit from a pattern, but use a different yarn the thing to check is the same number of metres in the 50 grams or 100 gram balls. It doesn't work out to use the same number of balls of yarn. The number of metres should be on the label.
  • miserly_mum
    miserly_mum Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Really glad to see a new knitting thread. I've started knitting again after a few years.

So far have done about 6 beanie hats over last 2 weeks.:j Try to get a few rows done whenever I get the chance.

Mostly knit in the evening when OH is home. During the day my youngest boy(21 months)just won't give me peace:mad:

Right now i'm about 2/3 of the way through a patch work blanket for my grandaughter. My daughter got a new pram in brown and pink (actually looks better than it sounds:p).She couldn't get a blanket in those colours so I volunteered to knit one.

Done in brown,light pink,cream and cerise and i'm going to edge it in a brown border. Its looking pretty good so far if I do say so myself:cool:
    How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    i am going to be knitting a bolero for a little girl to wear with a summer dress, got the wool but still looking at patterns
  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 18,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I agree that sewing up and finishing the garment can be really boring. What I generally do is sew up as I finish a side, and sew in each sleeve as it is finished. I always pin to ensure a good even finish and sew each piece inside out, using back stitch.

When I have finished the back and front of a garment, I then (if possible) pick up the neck stitches and and knit the neckband. Obviously this isn't possible if doing a garment which has raglan sleeves.

When knitting a cardigan it can be boring knitting separate left and right front bands. What I do is add the required number of stitches to those stated in the pattern, slipping the first stitch instead of working it. This ensures an even tight finish at the fronts. If buttonholes are needed these have to be counted in.

I used to knit for a local shop which sold wonderful mohair yarns and could manage almost a couple of garments a week. I think I did too much and put away my needles, although my granddaughter is insisting on me dragging them out again. We are currently knitting a doll's scarf in some old mohair wool stashed away in the wardrobe.

My knitting fingers are getting itchy again, especially reading this thread.
    Watching with interest.
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    libra10, when you add the stitches to the fronts for the bands, do you knit on the rib band and then leave the band stitches on a holder while you knit the body of the front, or, do you knit the band into the front all the way up to the neck. For example, knit one purl one 4 times, then the pattern, all the way up the front.

Hope that's clear!!!!!!!
  • plumduff55
    plumduff55 Posts: 868 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Thanks Littlebean - great thread.

I have to agree with you, I hate sewing up. I finished knitting a cardigan for myself last week and have still not sewn it up. But this thread is motivating me and when I switch off the computer I will go and start tonight. It will probably take me a couple of nights, so will aim to start my next project at the weekend.

Hopefully, next time I post here the cardigan will be finished - it is purple with narrow black stripes and is knitted in Crepe double knitting that I bought from Ebay.

Plum
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • halia
    halia Posts: 450 Forumite
    Well I've finished one slightly wobbly scarf for OH (in slytherian green and silver); finished the main pieces of a tanktop for DS - now have to sew up and pick up to knit the rib edging! - help.....
    Using up some oddment balls to knit myself some handwarmers/fingerless mitts.

Slowly getting the hang of it, learnt a new cast on method which is soooo much better than my previous method and starting to understand why yarn weight etc is important.
    DEBT: £500 credit card £800 Bank overdraft
    £14 Weekly food budget

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport