PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What is the best way to keep money for deposit?

Hello

I would like to learn from experiences of other members in this forum regarding where do they keep money (saving accounts, ISA, stocks, others?) when saving for deposit on their first home?

Thanks.

Comments

• LdnFtB
    LdnFtB Posts: 100 Forumite
    The primary factors in deciding any investment strategy - whether for saving for a house, retirement or otherwise - should be the timescale and your attitude to risk. How soon do you need the money and how screwed would you be if you lost it all?

As a general rule, the longer it us until you need the money, the more risk you can afford to take with it.

The advice is only to invest in the stock market if you have a timescale of longer than ten years as stocks and shares are risky. Their value fluctuates wildly and there is no insurance - you can loose everything if companies go bust. As a result that risk is rewarded with higher returns.

If you need the money in the short term (i.e. within the next five years) then you should avoid risk and concentrate on preserving value. This means cash, either in savings accounts or a cash ISA of some sort. A Lifetime ISA might be a good choice as the government matches 25% of whatever contributions you make.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    LdnFtB wrote: »
    A Lifetime ISA might be a good choice as the government matches 25% of whatever contributions you make.

Up to £4000 p.a. and will claw it back if you make withdraw money for purposes other than a first time house purchase or you are over 60
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Whatever investment method you choose while saving, make sure that, when nearing the time you will need to pay your deposit, it's in an account with quick / electronic payment access, with no fees.

Not with my deposit, but for my solicitor bills, I had clearly asked for enough notice of when payment was due to give me time to move funds, but they still sprang it on me as "we need this TODAY!" As it happened, the bank where I have my savings were able to do an instant electronic payment which I hadn't realised was possible from that type of account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure