I just need a PVR...

2»

Comments

• VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Theres a reason those Huaweis are only £30.
    If Cazjoan has an internet connection above 3Mbps then I would highly recommend the Humax YouView T2000 or T2100 (which is the same, only BT badged). I have them both and have never had a blip.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    VisionMan wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend Huawei boxes, as they are roundly criticised even by there own users. In fact, if one is just after a PVR, I wouldn't recommend YouView at all, as they are all now Cloud based. Internet connection required.
    Theres a reason those Huaweis are only £30.
    If Cazjoan has an internet connection above 3Mbps then I would highly recommend the Humax YouView T2000 or T2100 (which is the same, only BT badged). I have them both and have never had a blip.

Is there, I did not pay £30, but that's my business. I assume you don't own one or have not used one?

In one post you say you don't recommend Youview and then in the next you do! Confused.com

As for Humax read the OP's OP.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That Panasonic freeview recorder and Bluray Player has been slaughtered on the internet for genarally being slow, buggy and unreliable. And its EPG the pits.
    Interesting. I've had mine for almost three years now and have found it to be none of those things.

I haven't actually tried to record anything onto a bluray disk with it though, so don't know how well that would work, but everything else has been OK.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We have had a few Humax over the years. Really liked them but eventually they die and formatting the hard disk just isn't enough to resurrect them. The last Humax we got was just awful - constantly rebooting. Had to take it back and get the Panasonic instead. We don't like the Panasonic much - awful interface, some functional gaps, terrible implementation of iPlayer and AmazonPrime - but it does work.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • VisionMan
    Interesting. I've had mine for almost three years now and have found it to be none of those things.

I haven't actually tried to record anything onto a bluray disk with it though, so don't know how well that would work, but everything else has been OK.

Sorry onomatopoeia99, I was talking about the latest Panasonic ones with Freeview Play built in, such as the Humax one the OP bought and returned in post 1.

A Humax YouView on the other hand is a far different proposition, as Humax may make them, but they are built to YouView spec standards. They are the best boxes I have ever owned.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We've had 4 PVRs (just basic recorders, no catchup) and the two Humax brand are still going whereas the other two ceased working after about two years. (One was Digihome and the other Pace; the former stopped recording and the latter would no longer function via the remote control.)

I do agree about poor customer service from Humax, though ,as on buying our first, I messaged the website about warranty periods which were different in ads and in the accompanying paperwork, but got no reply.
  • VisionMan
    teddysmum wrote: »
    We've had 4 PVRs (just basic recorders, no catchup) and the two Humax brand are still going whereas the other two ceased working after about two years. (One was Digihome and the other Pace; the former stopped recording and the latter would no longer function via the remote control.)

I do agree about poor customer service from Humax, though ,as on buying our first, I messaged the website about warranty periods which were different in ads and in the accompanying paperwork, but got no reply.

I've never owned a retail Humax, but do talk to users of them. Apparently another major fault is that they can take years to get updates out to get their boxes up to near 100% performance. But then bring out their next model and stop supporting the old one.

Thankfully YouView updates are from YouView and there have been many. And also still include and support its first generation 2012 model.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Cazjoan wrote: »
    Why is there little on the market to choose from? All I want is a box that will give me FREEVIEW channels and either YOUVIEW or FREEVIEW PLAY, preferably the latter and to be able to record TV. There are just so few to choose from it seems. HUMAX dominates the market but I have had such bad service and luck with them. Even so this week I went to purchase a PANASONIC Freeview Play Recorder rom Curry's but despite their computers saying there was one in stock it could not be found. So I relented and bought a HUMAX 4000T Capuccino. Well that went back next day! It would not settle at all and kept rebooting! No idea why..no way to know...no one actually ever knows why these things do not work. From experience I know that HUMAX do not for sure. So I think this is an ideal subject for MSE to investigate! I look at reviews for PANASONIC and although okay..none stunning I now do not know what to do. Seems like I am being punished for not signing up to BT or VIRGIN or SKY for a tv package and box!!!

OP you say its something for MSE to investigate but whats the point ?

What do you want the investigation to find ?

That theres a lack of boxes that fit your criteria.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've never owned a retail Humax, but do talk to users of them. Apparently another major fault is that they can take years to get updates out to get their boxes up to near 100% performance. But then bring out their next model and stop supporting the old one.

Thankfully YouView updates are from YouView and there have been many. And also still include and support its first generation 2012 model.

Ours are quite old ;over 4 years. The one used in the bedroom is even older ,as it was a Tesco refurb, but it works fine with the little analogue tv, which needs a Freeview box and uses an indoor aerial.

I think there may be a problem with the new 4 channel 'coffee' machines, as Humax have lots of factory refurbs for sale, suggesting lots of returns. (I don't like the brown or brown and white colour schemes, but they do a black one called Nero, which is more expensive and only available direct.)
  • VisionMan
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Ours are quite old ;over 4 years. The one used in the bedroom is even older ,as it was a Tesco refurb, but it works fine with the little analogue tv, which needs a Freeview box and uses an indoor aerial.

I think there may be a problem with the new 4 channel 'coffee' machines, as Humax have lots of factory refurbs for sale, suggesting lots of returns. (I don't like the brown or brown and white colour schemes, but they do a black one called Nero, which is more expensive and only available direct.)

The new 4 channel 'coffee' machines are called Freeview Play and you surmise correctly. As just as the OP in post 1, many were bought and returned when the buyers of such realised how bad they were they took them back.

As a box, its a YouView wannabe that falls waaaay short. Though in fairness, Freeview Play thats been built into TVs has generally been well received. But the boxes? No.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure