Should there be a zero tolerance drink drive limit for the UK?

What are people's views on a zero tolerance drink drive limit for the UK?

Would this stop lunchtime drinking of alcohol and then jumping in the car to drive home/back to work may be not straight away but a few hours later?

Would welcome views for and against.

should there be a zero tolerance drink drive limit for the UK? 23 votes

Yes
60% 14 votes
No
39% 9 votes
Undecided
0% 0 votes

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It should be zero for learners and new drivers. It should be reduced for existing drivers to match that of most of the EU. We have one of the highest levels in the world.

It won't stop lunchtime drinking though. It might reduce it a bit but most sensible people don't drink anything at all before driving.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • corbyboy
    corbyboy Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    What is "zero tolerance" though? Would you ban somebody for having blown 0.001 on an intoximeter?

Also, are there actually any statistics on people who consume a legal level of alcohol being involved in a greater number of accidents? It would be interesting to read.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There should be. I remember watching a programme and a police woman said that every person's alcohol tolerance is different.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't agree with zero tolerance, someone could blow over the limit after accidentally swallowing some mouth wash!

Being serious the law should be there to stop people driving who aren't fit to drive. While people have different tolerance levels I think most people could have a tiny amount of alcohol with no effect on their driving what so ever. Is it fair that they receive a ban?

I don't know the amount of alcohol someone has to have to impair ability but I'd assume scientists have done research into this and therefore would also assume it's somewhere around the current limit, on average.

So no, but I do think maybe the drink drive limit needs to be reviewed and not necessarily with a view of reducing it.
  • simple answer for clarity would be yes, though some people may have had something to drink, even alcohol free (or medication?) that, while still able to drive safely, might skew test results?
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    corbyboy wrote: »
    What is "zero tolerance" though? Would you ban somebody for having blown 0.001 on an intoximeter?

Zero should mean zero. Ziltch ! Nothing !!
    If you want a drink leave the car at home.
    If you take the car when you're on a night out, have soft drinks. Or you can drink at home.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport