Scammed.......

sistafromanothermista
sistafromanothermista Posts: 2,230
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
Forumite
edited 8 November 2012 at 2:25PM in Debt-free wannabe
Just a quick word of warning.....
My son told me he wanted to buy a mobile phone 2nd hand and that there is a section on facebook where you can buy and sell locally. He found one for £40 and seeing as it was just down the road handed over £40 cash.

Got home and realised there was no sim so went and purchased one from the shop (£1) popped new sim in....nothing....usually a few txts come through with the new settings on so we waited 24hrs.

After this time and still no txtx i called Tmobile for him and after 2HRS (most of which was them trying to get me to purchase a bolt on for said phone) they told me it had been blocked and therefore had been reposrted lost or stolen!!!!!

Obviously when contacting the 'seller' they said it was 'nothing to do with them' and they were 'selling it for a friend' Yeh right.

Valuable lesson learnt for my 15 yr old!!!
DEBT FREE AND PROUD:D
'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 November 2012 at 4:18PM
    yep its a problem with buying phones off ebay, not all sellers are out to scam you but you need to be careful. Could he not open a claim ?
  • I am so naive!!! i was :eek: blummin scammers at least it was only £40 i suppose could've been worse :(
    'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    Contact the seller and say that you are very sorry but for insurance reasons you need to get a crime number from the police so will have to pass on their details to the police, assure them that you will say that they were selling for a friend but unfortunately you have to give all the facts in order to get a crime number.
  • Soubrette wrote: »
    Contact the seller and say that you are very sorry but for insurance reasons you need to get a crime number from the police so will have to pass on their details to the police, assure them that you will say that they were selling for a friend but unfortunately you have to give all the facts in order to get a crime number.

I tried this, but the only contact was via Facebook and they've now 'blocked' us!!! cheek!
    Obviously i know where she lives but don't really fancy a confrontation..
  • DCFC79
    Forumite
    Was it bought via ebay then ?
  • No, facebook. At least on Ebay we would've had some sort of security (one hopes)
  • merlot123
    merlot123 Posts: 720 Forumite
    Sorry to hear about the phone, but one thing to remember is - if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Report it to the police, you must know where they live if you collected the phone.
  • I think i will Merlot (How do i do that?) I've never had to contact the police about something like this before :o

Put it this way, a harsh lesson has been learnt that's for sure...
  • DCFC79
    Forumite
    No, facebook. At least on Ebay we would've had some sort of security (one hopes)

Ah right, good luck with it.
  • I've just come across a 'contact us' form on a police site so i've done that :) we'll see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure