Solar PV – Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Just to say, I've tidied up the main post, and deleted some of my subsequent posts concerning amendments. I think it's about as good as it's going to get at this stage. But please let me know of any useful threads that can be added, as and when they evolve. Cheers.

Thanks for all help and suggestions.

Just 2 more quick questions please,

1. Section 5 on monitoring, can anyone suggest a good weather site to add, or are they all as good/bad as each other.

2. Section 7 giving a brief explanation of PV kit, names, jobs etc. Can any installers, or clued up individuals let me know if that section is ok as a description of an average install? If not, suggested changes would be gratefully received.

Thanks again.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Martyn1981 wrote: »

1. Section 5 on monitoring, can anyone suggest a good weather site to add, or are they all as good/bad as each other.
    Mart.

This one :-
    http://www.metcheck.com

can be very good. It predicts actual %ge cloud cover and (for those of us collecting rainwater) the amount of precipitation in mms. Both of these are displayed for each 3hr period of the next couple of days.

However, its display can be a bit erratic in that it will work fine for a few hours (sometimes even days) but for no apparent reason then reports an error in a macro on the webpage and won't usually work again till I've disconnected and waited at least a few hours but often even longer. Metcheck do have an error reporting page but that has usually got me an automated reply vaguely promising to look into report & gt back to me but they never do.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    EricMears wrote: »
    This one :-
    http://www.metcheck.com

However, its display can be a bit erratic in that it will work fine for a few hours (sometimes even days) but for no apparent reason then reports an error in a macro on the webpage and won't usually work again till I've disconnected and waited at least a few hours but often even longer.

I agree - I find it is unreliable to the point of being unusable.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 April 2012 at 8:17PM
    Martyn1981 wrote: »

1. Section 5 on monitoring, can anyone suggest a good weather site to add, or are they all as good/bad as each other.....
    Hi

No more accurate than any others but is probably easier to understand the output when relating to pv generation ....

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=43373580&highlight=meteoblue#post43373580

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

No more accurate than any others but is probably easier to understand the output when relating to pv generation ....

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=43373580&highlight=meteoblue#post43373580

HTH
    Z

Thanks all, regarding weather, I use the Norwegian Met Office, they were great, but late last year the predictions started to change dramatically as the future date got nearer. Seems that most sites have suffered the same problem. Maybe our weather is too erratic at the moment (apart from the last 10 days, wow!).

Think I'll just chuck in a suggestion to try some weather sites.

Z - that's a cool site, predicting generation. Fun and easy too. Reference going in on that one for sure. Cheers.

Mart.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 August 2012 at 9:51PM
    No longer relevant
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • sly_dog_jonah
    sly_dog_jonah Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    KevinG wrote: »
    This is a fascinating site for comparing your output with the expected output for the actual weather conditions recorded at your location:

http://solargis.info/pvspot/index.htm

You have to register first, it is surprisingly accurate.

(Thanks to supremetwo on the fool.co.uk Environmentally Green Fools board)

Seems very accurate for my system's performance. Our results to date have have always been within the narrow Low / High estimate range (which is about +/- 10%), and we are marginally higher than the Best estimate each period.
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,609 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Cardew wrote: »
    The price of a unit(kWh)Electricity used in all these calculations is that approved by Ofgem and indeed the EST use that figure.

That figure is very 'convenient' for the companies to use(it is around 14p/kWh) as they can state truthfully that it is the approved figure.
    It isn't the starting figure that I was referring to although clearly that does have an effect. The main issue was with some more dubious suppliers that were using an electricity price RPI figure of 15% for the 25 year period just because that was the most recent increase. Amazingly enough it gave an electricity cost of £3.70 per unit by year 25 with annual electricity savings alone of £6400 to justify their overpriced installation.

In comparison an RPI of 5% will give an electricity unit price of 40p by year 25 (vs £3.70 with 15% RPI) which shows how significant the use of overly high RPI can be for justifying the costs.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Martyn1981
    Are you happy with the small reference I added in:

1.3.(cont)

Anybody got any additions, or spotted any posts/threads to be added?

Cheers.

Mart.

Edit: PS, thread has had a fair number of reads, so hopefully it's working, if only to help put people to sleep at night!

• I am presently an npower customer (with whom I also have my FIT agreement - since Oct 2011) and am considering changing my supplier as part of my annual review of energy prices.

Is anyone aware of any pitfalls that I should look out for?

Will I have problems transferring my FIT?

Can I leave my FIT arrangements with npower and take my "normal" energy from another supplier?

Any comments/advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport