Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Sounds like an excellent use of the extra money the free wife :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 6 March 2017 at 5:02PM
    newgirly wrote: »
    Morning Alex, I think so many people have been in the same situation getting into large amounts of debt. Ours was over 30k which we could also afford (just about!) until our income dropped and we then struggled to pay the mortgage. Putting the mortgage on IO was something I did after clearing most of the debts, when we shortened the term as a kind of alternative emergency fund whilst we overpaid. It's getting easier to not want to spend as time has gone on as the end date is getting nearer and I greedily can't wait to have loads of extra money :D

You sure spent by the sound of it though :eek: perhaps if your parents hadn't have cleared it for you it wouldn't have been as easy to get into debt again though?

It's in the past though, now we are well behaved sensible mse members :rotfl::rotfl:

As for the garage, I'm sure I don't know what you mean, I have not been looking at cars online at all :p

That was the point I was trying to illustrate: it being very easy to get into debt and many people, despite having a good level of income (well, for Derbyshire ;)), have no savings.

I've no idea what would have happened had my parents not cleared the first lot of debt. We would have probably been able to clear it if we'd sold more or less everything we had. At the time that would have probably sent me over the edge; I was very attached to a lot of the things I've collected over the years. Still am in some ways, though today with hindsight I wish we had sold everything, moved on and completely started again. It wouldn't have been easy and we'd probably be, financially, in a worse position than we are now. You've managed to somehow get me reminiscing about something that never happened and I wouldn't have contemplated but these days, the thought of starting again with a house in a cheap rural part of the country with no close neighbours and a bit of land (perhaps north Wales or Lincolnshire), a Triumph 2500 PI and a MGB GT seems much more tempting than what we actually did. No tinsel, no watch collection, no grand piano and certainly no extra hoarding.

Clearly, I've become more frugal than I first thought. Couldn't be without our classics though but we certainly could run them everyday. :D
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • newgirly
    Well there is nothing to stop you now really is there? You could visit your parents at weekends still, a simple life with cars and maybe even horses sounds ideal :)

I've got an early start tomorrow but need to stay up as is said I'd get ds1 and my brother from the station tonight as it's freezing and they are at West Ham.
    Earlier on I cooked a huge vat of tarka Dahl which was lovely but didn't stretch as far as expected as Dd ate a load then took a huge tub for her and her boyfriend tomorrow, plus some rice , a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates (I need saving from myself :rotfl:)

Not much else to report today really, I bought some lovely irregular choice Abigail's party boots with some of my birthday money (black with red roses on :D) which arrived at work today, but dh forgot to bring home tonight - has he no idea how exciting getting new going our shoes is :rotfl:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    AlexLK wrote: »
    the thought of starting again with a house in a cheap rural part of the country with no close neighbours and a bit of land (perhaps north Wales or Lincolnshire), a Triumph 2500 PI and a MGB GT

This is exactly what we're aiming for! Although I'd have to add quite a few cars to the list for DH (and definitely our existing classic mini and the Austin Ruby I would love to have!)

Hope boots make it home tonight NG! :D
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    Wow that would be an old girl :D what type of mini do you have if you don't mind me asking? my Eric I sold last year was a B reg Mayfair :)
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    She would - one day! We have friends who have a veteran car (1901!) and they take us to original London to Brighton run each year - it's a fantastic day, such weird engineering going on (especially the cars where there's a passenger sat in front of the driver!). We'll never be able to afford one of those (they go for more than our house is worth), but a Ruby is within reach, hopefully.

Our Mini is a D reg Mayfair :D although DH rebuilt him (I know 'he' should be a 'she', but he isn't!) completely a few years ago (in time for us to use him for our wedding) and he's now very shiny and less '80s (which I think DH regrets to some extent, but what can you do?!).

Maybe once you're mortgage free you'll be able to get another Eric? Classic minis put a smile on your face like no other car can, I find!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    Funny, my mini was going to be a girl until I saw him in person :D have you ever been to goodwood revival? I've never seen so many really old classics in one place. I'm guessing you didn't not have a massive meringue dress if you got married in a mini :rotfl:

I'm so tired this week, I went to bed at 8pm and went straight to sleep last night! Work is so tiring at the moment and tonight I am out for a birthday curry with the girls for mine and a friend's birthday. It should be a cheapy as it's a set price £11.95 on a weds, lovely food there, just hope o can stay awake.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Funny, my mini was going to be a girl until I saw him in person :D
    That's funny as my LBC (Little Blue Car ;)) was going to be a boy till we saw her :rotfl:. She's too pretty a colour to be a boy.
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Well there is nothing to stop you now really is there? You could visit your parents at weekends still, a simple life with cars and maybe even horses sounds ideal :)

My wife's job, my course and if I carry on with teaching the dilemma of what my son will do after school as the current plan is for him to go to my cousin's. He does this two days per week now to ready him for September and enjoys going there. Sometimes think he'd rather be there than home. :( That's probably the biggest issue as my wife would find a job elsewhere and you can teach anywhere in the UK.

I think horses may become a part of our life as it doesn't look like my son is losing his interest. I have spoken to my neighbour who'd be happy to provide somewhere for one or two to live. They've also mentioned the possibility of buying some of his land as their children aren't interested. Our house has about 1/2 an acre laid to lawn - not enough for a horse.

I like the peak district but there are other places I'd like to go. A lot of the appeal of moving away is the idea of starting afresh and in part being further away from my parents. :o However, it would have to be somewhere rural, I couldn't live in a town.
    themadvix wrote: »
    This is exactly what we're aiming for! Although I'd have to add quite a few cars to the list for DH (and definitely our existing classic mini and the Austin Ruby I would love to have!)

Hope boots make it home tonight NG! :D

Do you have a diary? :)

Our current fleet is a little bigger ... Triumph GT6 Mk.1, Triumph 2000 (yes a 2500 is a LOT better from experience), Daimler Sovereign (Series I XJ6), MGB and the two moderns (2015 LR Defender, 2016 Jaguar XE).

Not had a pre-war car but it's something we're interested in at some point.
    themadvix wrote: »
    She would - one day! We have friends who have a veteran car (1901!) and they take us to original London to Brighton run each year - it's a fantastic day, such weird engineering going on (especially the cars where there's a passenger sat in front of the driver!). We'll never be able to afford one of those (they go for more than our house is worth), but a Ruby is within reach, hopefully.

Our Mini is a D reg Mayfair :D although DH rebuilt him (I know 'he' should be a 'she', but he isn't!) completely a few years ago (in time for us to use him for our wedding) and he's now very shiny and less '80s (which I think DH regrets to some extent, but what can you do?!).

Maybe once you're mortgage free you'll be able to get another Eric? Classic minis put a smile on your face like no other car can, I find!

Veteran cars are amazing but I can't say I'd personally want one, I don't think. I like to look but wouldn't want the hassle of owning one - not exactly going to be able to call Rimmer Bros and get parts tomorrow, are you? ;)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • newgirly
    Sounds like a plan for the future if you have land suitable so close by :)

I'm waiting up for the kids again tonight, last night ds1 went to Ronnie Scott's with my parents as they had a last minute spare ticket, tonight ds 1and 2 are at a gig in north London. I am now quite cold (heating off ) and pretty tired, trying to stay awake for question time. I am sure they will be fine as they are together but I still wait up :o I may go and collect them from the station in my pjs :D

I've spent a bit of money today, a couple of t shirts from next, plus some vacuum bags and giant checked storage zip up bags ready to start sorting my life out - or more accuratly clearing the eaves space and log cabin.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback