Scammed.......

Comments

• i hope you posted a warning comment on the facebook buy / sell webpage you bought it from ,.. i know it states on ours that you buy at your own risk but shocking how these scammers think they can get sell a dodgy / stolen / lost item for easy money and get away with it ..maybe not the first time they have done it ..i know you say it was only £40 but still a lot of money for someone trying to get a bargain
  • :wave:
    I have been stewing on this for a while now....:)
    I was going to post a letter through their door saying;

'
    NOTICE OF COURT ACTION

This notice is to advise I will be seeking legal action regarding the illegal sale of a mobile phone from this address.

The cost of £40 which was paid by us for a phone which was stolen.
    We are in receipt of all emails and correspondence sent by you relating to the item.

The police have also been informed.

As the Blackberry was sold to someone under the age of 18 (therefore a minor) all correspondence MUST legally go through me.
    If you wish to resolve this matter by way of refund of money without court proceedings being actioned then contact me on the email address below.
    If we do not hear from you within 14 days I will seek legal action against you to recover money paid.

Any correspondence from you to the Facebook user who, as noted , is under 18 will be classed as harassment.'

What do you guys think? i obviously don't want to do anything myself which is not considered legal.
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD:D
    'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    And someone didn't consider the £40 a bit too much of a bargain?
    I think you could land yourself in trouble.
    Seek legal advice on how to proceed, though you may have to just write the episode off to experience.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    You said your Son has broken up the phone to sell off bits. How can you pursue a refund for a stolen phone when knowingly selling parts of it?
    Pants
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If your son is selling on the phone parts, he would be handling stolen goods if the phone is nicked.
    Just because you paid money, it does not make the item yours to sell.
    I would contact the police with the phone details and report it as sold under good faith but you later suspect the item was stolen.
    Only takes the first seller to be pulled in and say I sold it to so and so.
    Bit of a mess I am afraid, so if you have the police involved, get the phone back together and see what they want to do first.
    Just Opinion...
    Be happy...;)
  • DUTR wrote: »
    And someone didn't consider the £40 a bit too much of a bargain?
    I think you could land yourself in trouble.
    Seek legal advice on how to proceed, though you may have to just write the episode off to experience.

No, it was quite an old bb bold.
    That's what i'm worried about (the getting myself in trouble bit)
    I thought i'd give it a last ditch attempt if i could to get the ££ back, although you're probably right about writing it off.....

'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'
  • warehouse wrote: »
    You said your Son has broken up the phone to sell off bits. How can you pursue a refund for a stolen phone when knowingly selling parts of it?

Hi warehouse, he didn't sell any of it in the end as that's what i thought, and didn't want to have anything to do with it. DH took a hammer to it to stop it being sold on (DS might have 'sold' it onto a friend little sod :))
    I just hate the thought she got away with it IYSWIM,...
  • spacey2012 wrote: »
    If your son is selling on the phone parts, he would be handling stolen goods if the phone is nicked.
    Just because you paid money, it does not make the item yours to sell.
    I would contact the police with the phone details and report it as sold under good faith but you later suspect the item was stolen.
    Only takes the first seller to be pulled in and say I sold it to so and so.
    Bit of a mess I am afraid, so if you have the police involved, get the phone back together and see what they want to do first.
    Just Opinion...

:wave: spacey....
    :rotfl:at phone back together, i'd have to superglue the fragments :rotfl:
    I hate scammers :mad: maybe i'm too honest to believe anyone would do this to a child in the first place!!
  • lurvlyloz
    lurvlyloz Posts: 877 Forumite
    my 2 pennies worht....trwo the phone away. learn a lesson and move on. yes its rubbish...but reporting it to the police probably wont do alot & i wouldnt want the hassle and the worry
    Facing up to things - nov 2012 total 9334.95
    back to work after baby -Jan 2014 - total [STRIKE]6905.28 [/STRIKE](1 credit card) £3535

Debt Free Date March 8th 2017 (31st birthday)
  • laptop80
    laptop80 Posts: 203
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'd put it down to experience to be honest. There are too many posts on here where people have gone to the police and the offenders have made their life hell - vandalising their property, telling everyone in the neighbourhood they are a 'grass', threats of (or actual) physical violence. Is it worth risking that kind of hassle for you and your family for £40?

I can see how you would be annoyed, so would I, but given the potential problems and the fact the phone in question has now been smashed up, I'd suggest the most rational option is to move on and consider it a lesson learned for your son that things aren't always as they appear and if it's too good to be true it probably is - if he gets the message now then a £40 phone is a cheaper way of learning it than buying a dodgy car or a problematic house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure