how long does child benefit claim take

hi. I sent my child benefit claim in nearly 7 weeks ago and have still not heard anything. I have tried calling and emailing but heard nothing. How long does it usually take as my baby is nearly 10 weeks old and I know they only back date 12 weeks. thanks.x

Comments

• They are currently taking up to 12 weeks :( But as long as you got your form in in good time, which you did, you're more than likely to have your claim backdated to the baby's birth.

Congrats on that, btw :T
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • kelise
    kelise Posts: 67 Forumite
    thanks for your reply. Thats a little reassuring now.

thanks and TC x
  • FRESTER
    FRESTER Posts: 383 Forumite
    Sent my form in five weeks ago and had nothing back yet.Has anyone here claimed recently?Just interested to see how long others are taking.Thanks in advance.
  • I've yet to post my claim, as my little one isnt offically registered yet....

Not looking good for a speedy turn around thou, oh well just hope it gets backed dated, 12 weeks at £20 a pop is a nice little sum to recieve!
  • cpoir
    cpoir Posts: 1,040
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    FRESTER wrote: »
    Sent my form in five weeks ago and had nothing back yet.Has anyone here claimed recently?Just interested to see how long others are taking.Thanks in advance.

Sent mine 2 weeks ago (recorded delivery...didn't trust that freepost envelope) and I got my birth certificate back within about 1 week so they've definitely received it ;)
    Addicted to MSE ;)
  • FRESTER
    Think I will call them today.
  • If you have come from abroad or have any sort of immigration status issues it will take a lot longer.
  • Mine only took a couple of weeks. Did you send in the baby's birth cert with the form?
    Metranil dreams of becoming a neon,
    You don't even take him seriously,
    How am I going to get to heaven?,
    When I'm just balanced so precariously..
  • FRESTER
    I sent the birth cert with the form about five weeks ago but have had nothing back yet.The phone line has been busy all day.
  • It is 12 weeks backdating from when they receive your form, not when they sort out your claim. After 8 weeks, they cannot stonewall you when you call and have to get through to the team actually processing the claim rather than simply telling you that it is being processed. Not a great help but I believe 8 weeks is their timeline for processing new claims.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure