Smart TV Wifi Dongle..

hjb123
hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
I am looking at getting a Smart TV, just about decided on a Samsung one but had a couple of questions that cant seem to work out - if the wireless isnt built in does the dongle have to be the same brand as the TV? ie, would I have to buy a samsung one or be able to use an LG or a cheaper one or one thats actually in stock somewhere!

Is it also better/make a difference if the wireless is built in or via a dongle?

thanks
Weight Loss - 102lb

Comments

• -TangleFoot-
    -TangleFoot- Posts: 4,673
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Chipset is more important than brand. Finding a compatible adapter (if one is available) will require some research into the nature of the official one.

Example: Panasonic DY-WL10 / Netgear WNDA3100 v.2
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,388
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My Samsung will only use the Samsung dongle. I've got it connected to the internet via homeplugs instead which worked out a lot cheaper.
  • I use this one on our Samsung tv http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0013DUOO0/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?qid=1332333039&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

The link is a few months old .... but the dongle is working fine.

cofion
    David
  • hjb123
    Thanks for the replies, hoping to get it sorted this week, my old tv is being extremely tempremental! Im assuming a dongle doesnt come with the tv? - it doesnt actually state whether its included or not - its either said to be built in or via dongle (but doesnt say included or not included?!)

Thanks
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • -TangleFoot-
    Forumite
    If it's not built-in, it's not included. Ever.
  • No ... when we bought ours I asked in the shop and was told that any wireless dongle would do ! So I plugged in a dongle that I already had and bingo .... nothing happened. So a bit of research on here and someone suggested the Hama dongle. It was alot cheaper at the time than the Samsung one and works fine.

cofion
    David
  • -TangleFoot-
    Forumite
    ...suggested the Hama dongle.

The 062740? RT2870 and/or RT2820.
  • hjb123
    Thanks for the replies, im still slightly torn between getting one with wifi built in or ne that needs a dongle, works out roughly same price - is either way any better than the other?
    Thanks
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    or get a homeplug/run ethernet to the TV
  • hjb123
    custardy wrote: »
    or get a homeplug/run ethernet to the TV

Thanks for that, am being thick but what does that involve? The room where the tv is going ti go is as far away from the bt broadband hub as can get!

Thanks
    Weight Loss - 102lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family