PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Barley Wine -where To Buy???????

hi,
mil was wondering where she could buy barley wine for putting in a xmas cake.......we live in n.ireland.

Thanks in advance.........
Save 1500 - (Monzo Card Pot by Dec 2021) 1020/1500 
12 NSD MAY 3/12
Lose 21lb by July .......................4 /21LB 

Comments

• This isn't a Delia recipe by any chance ? I think her Christmas pudding has this in it -about 2 tbsp or something. I've never been able to find it. I just substitute more brandy or rum and I've always had great results.

If it is a very small amount that is required I would suggest doing the same. With all the strong flavours in a Christmas cake I very much doubt you can detect a small amount of barley wine.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
  • Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    It might be worth asking in your local pub - I remember my dad drinking Barley Wine and Bitter when I was little - but that was about 30 years ago :)
  • jenie_2
    jenie_2 Posts: 491 Forumite
    I used to work for Victoria Wine and we used to sell it in cans, but I don't know if they have any branches in N.Ireland. You could try any off-licence, its called Gold Label.
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I remember buying some for the Delia recipe years ago...and I found it bottled on the shelf at Tesco! haven't looked for ages tho' - it was probably the year her Christmas book came out and supermarkets made sure they had all the ingredients as it was so popular! I seem to recall that was the year cranberries became so popular for the same reason. She did a recipe on TV and everyone rushed out to copy the next day!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    In England this is sold in supermarkets as well. Trouble is it comes in a 4-pack! I'd be tempted to add some bottled pale ale as this is what barley wine most resembles.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • Asda do gold label barley wine but you have to look where the ciders are
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Thanks every1 for your help it was my Mil mis making an xmas cake ........know how helpful you all are so said id post & ask!!:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: have a barley wine on me...........if you can find any:D
    Save 1500 - (Monzo Card Pot by Dec 2021) 1020/1500 
    12 NSD MAY 3/12
    Lose 21lb by July .......................4 /21LB 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills