Incapacity benefit 2010 new rules

Hi
Has anybody yet managed to digest the finer points of the new incapacity rules mentioned in the budget this week which will start in 2010.
From what i gathered it will now be a case of what you can do, as opposed to what you can't do!
Also their may be no long form filling, just straight to a person or persons who will decide what you can or can't do.
Is that about right? or is it to early to say.
Child of a Fighting Race.

Comments

• snoop2008
    snoop2008 Posts: 611 Forumite
    Hey in a nutshell thats about it, but I do feel its a lot more than meets the eye!!! check out the link about the changes due to take place this october. hope this helps!!

http://www.disabilityalliance.org/f32.htm
  • two_sheds_2
    two_sheds_2 Posts: 114 Forumite
    People on Incap already have to see a "person" every year to continue on the benefit ... so what difference does this new legislation make?
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    two_sheds wrote: »
    People on Incap already have to see a "person" every year to continue on the benefit ..

I have been on Incapaciity Benefit for many years and don't have to see someone every year so don't know where you are getting your information from.
    I get a form to complete at regular intervals and have only been called for a medical on a couple of occassions but of course this may change! :rolleyes:
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    People on Incap already have to see a "person" every year to continue on the benefit ... so what difference does this new legislation make?

As it stands at the moment some people are exempt and do not have to go for an assessment and others go for one every year and others every two years and so on.
  • baccyman
    baccyman Posts: 316
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    i am a disabled person who has been getting DLA and i am getting the feeling that with these new rules coming in, the people that are doing the assessing are going to be saying that people are fit to work when they are not fit to work,
    from what i have heard the assessors are going to be from private companys and will get paid for the amount of people they can get off the sickness benifits,
    what has been happening in the last couple of years makes me feel that the sick are being used as a scapegoat by the government and a lot of genuine sick people are going to suffer financial and mental hardship with the worry that we might be kicked off of our benifits.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I might be wrong but are the rules different in Scotland?:confused:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • jacnorm
    jacnorm Posts: 410 Forumite
    I agree with baccyman that the sick are being used as scapegoats and the media just don`t help at all. Every time we turn the tv on some one is going on about the ib and the amount of people that are on it and it needs to be reduced. Well thats all well and good if the people concerned are well enough but, if people with no medical experience are making the decisions to take others off the sick where will it end.
  • nogginthenog
    nogginthenog Posts: 2,649
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

I have been on IB for 8 years,never seen a IB doctor yet!
    Although i have been examined by a DLA doctor in the past and somehow the incapacity people had a copy of the DLA'S doctors report.
    Child of a Fighting Race.
  • stazi
    stazi Posts: 1,295 Forumite
    noggingthenog

If you are on DLA High Care, then you are exempt from the IB medical called PCA. The IB section don't see your DLA medical report, they have no need to.
    If you are not on DLA High Care, then the IB section will be contacting your GP directly for an upto date clinical report, and deciding the PCA on that.
  • this week which will start in 2010.

Where have you heard its 2010?

I have been on IB for a couple of years now and amazingly, one day after they introduce the new systems (today) I get a phone call telling me I have to go to a medical in 6 days time.

I thought they said it was to replace new claimants, then rolled out at a later date to existing ones?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure