Cycle to work scheme

Options

Comments

• gromituk
    gromituk Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    edited 17 September 2009 at 5:34PM
    Options
    Looks like it's been censored by this forum. But you don't need a link, do you? Simply ask of Google what you are asking of us to spoon-feed you instead, i.e. find Halfords' cycle to work scheme.

Edit: Post I was responding to seems to have been deleted.
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
  • Augustus_the_Strong
    Options
    Whether or not you use the Cycle To Work scheme, I'd advise buying a nice bike that you will enjoy riding, and then ride it every day until it's paid for itself. I bought a £600 bike last May and it had paid for itself in saved fares by Christmas. If you get a cheap bike, it's heavier, slower and less comfortable to ride, you'll be less likely to take it out at weekends, and generally you'll be less likely to get your money's worth. Resale value is of marginal importance - you'll keep it if you like it, and be fitter into the bargain.

A the S (regular commuting cyclist)
  • Gambit
    Gambit Posts: 584 Forumite
    Options
    If you get a cheap bike, it's heavier, slower and less comfortable to ride, you'll be less likely to take it out at weekends, and generally you'll be less likely to get your money's worth. Resale value is of marginal importance - you'll keep it if you like it, and be fitter into the bargain.

I agree! :beer:
    I started cycling to work a few years ago before I went away travelling as I ditched my travelcard. Decided to cycle once a week to work a few months ago but thought I would use the cycle to work scheme this time. Not knowing about bikes, I didnt realise how much of a different a good bike makes to your ride. A lighter bike is defo more of a pleasure to ride than a heavy mountain bike which is not needed when commuting work work.
    Current Debt Owed To Family: [STRIKE]£12,575[/STRIKE] £9,000 :wall:
    Estimated Debt Free... [STRIKE]Dec 2012[/STRIKE] Aug 2012

:xmassmileChristmas 2010 Sealed Pot Challenge #477 :xmassmile
  • jebervic
    Options
    Gambit wrote: »
    I agree! :beer:
    I started cycling to work a few years ago before I went away travelling as I ditched my travelcard. Decided to cycle once a week to work a few months ago but thought I would use the cycle to work scheme this time. Not knowing about bikes, I didnt realise how much of a different a good bike makes to your ride. A lighter bike is defo more of a pleasure to ride than a heavy mountain bike which is not needed when commuting work work.

All true !, i've been cycling to work for over a year now and love it, I can't stress how much difference a good bike makes.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i did C2W via halfords(only option we had/have)
    max voucher was £500 plus halfords threw in a £50 voucher for accessories
    however at the time i bought they were giving a £100 voucher with bikes
    these were combined so i had £150 extra to spend so a bit of a no brainer really
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    RobotBlue wrote: »
    I agree, inner tubes are vital to carry - much easier to pop one in than fiddling with a puncture repair kit. One should, of course, also carry any tools required to remove both wheels and suitable disposable gloves and wet-wipes!!

Tyre Slime is a green liquid that you put inside your inner tubes (really easy) and claims to prevent punctures of up to 3mm from causing deflation. It costs about £8-£10 per bottle, which does two wheels. I won't cycle without it.

I'm not saying they're not important, but they only cost about £2, don't they? I don't think I'd need a loan from my employer to pay for them.

I've only ever had about three punctures in the last 5 years.
  • gromituk
    Options
    Lucky you - I used to have a puncture about once a fortnight until I got Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, but then I commute 100 miles a week.
  • andy8442
    Options
    gromituk wrote: »
    The trouble is that by doing that you are very likely to be buying a stolen bike.

Why do you assume all bikes on ebay are stolen?

In answer to the original post, tell your boss to buy the bike, forget the scheme. The bike is classed as an asset of the company, and therefore will be written down like any other asset. Just take it home and use it, then after a year buy it off your boss for whatever you think is fair.
  • geri1965_2
    Options
    gromituk wrote: »
    Lucky you - I used to have a puncture about once a fortnight until I got Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, but then I commute 100 miles a week.

It is pretty good, considering the amount of broken glass on the streets of Bristol!
  • gromituk
    Options
    andy8442 wrote: »
    Why do you assume all bikes on ebay are stolen?
    I don't. I said very likely. I thought the language I used was plain and with no difficult words.
    tell your boss to buy the bike, forget the scheme.
    You must be lucky to have a boss who you can "tell" to do things, and has enough spare time to do all the administration themselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure