PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    picie - yes you can, but don't leave it too long in the freezer otherwise the texture will deteriorate. I'd recommend no longer than a month, especially for the fish.
  • wizk1
    wizk1 Posts: 911 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    pixie1 wrote: »
    Can you freeze sushi as long as the fish or chicken i use to make it hasnt been frozen before?

Thanks

Pix
    It depends what kind of sushi it is. If it is made with some form of raw fish, then I wouldn't risk it. Cooked/smoked fish should be OK though. Any sushi you buy from supermarkets would probably freeze just fine.
  • pixie1
    pixie1 Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    wizk1 wrote: »
    It depends what kind of sushi it is. If it is made with some form of raw fish, then I wouldn't risk it. Cooked/smoked fish should be OK though. Any sushi you buy from supermarkets would probably freeze just fine.

Im thinking of making some with canned tuna rolled in rice wrapped in seaweed and some rice squares topped with smoked salmon (it was on offer).

Could i freeze both of these?

Many thanks

Pix
    :jDebt Free At Last!:j
  • aless02
    aless02 Posts: 5,119 Forumite
    Can you freeze sushi as long as the fish or chicken i use to make it hasnt been frozen before?

Thanks

Pix

I freeze rice balls all the time & you have to be really careful about freezer burn as they seem to get it VERY easily.
    top 2013 wins: iPad, £50 dental care, £50 sportswear, £50 Nectar GC, £300 B&Q GC; jewellery, Bumbo, 12xPringles, 2xDiesel EDT, £25 Morrisons, £50 Loch Fyne

would like to win a holiday, please!!
    :xmassmile Mummy to Finn - 12/09; Micah - 08/12! :j
  • wizk1
    Im thinking of making some with canned tuna rolled in rice wrapped in seaweed and some rice squares topped with smoked salmon (it was on offer).

Could i freeze both of these?

Many thanks

Pix

The tuna rolls (maki) and salmon squares (nigiri) should freeze just fine.
  • Primrose
    pixie - I'm not sure I'd agree with wizk about it being unsafe to freeze sushi made with fresh fish because we buy whole fresh fish often and freeze it and it's absolutely fine. I think the golden rule is probably to ensure the sushi is made up quickly with the fresh fish and ingredients and frozen immediately. The main problem is when it's left lying around for ages in a warm kitchen before being frozen which allows the bugs time to start breeding.
  • wizk1
    Primrose wrote: »
    pixie - I'm not sure I'd agree with wizk about it being unsafe to freeze sushi made with fresh fish because we buy whole fresh fish often and freeze it and it's absolutely fine. I think the golden rule is probably to ensure the sushi is made up quickly with the fresh fish and ingredients and frozen immediately. The main problem is when it's left lying around for ages in a warm kitchen before being frozen which allows the bugs time to start breeding.
    Do you eat the fish raw after you defrost it?
  • Primrose
    No, that's true, so I guess you have a point there.
  • Hey all

I am going to attempt to make some vegetarian spring rolls and wanted to make a big batch as the oven will be on rather than just the 8 the recipe suggests. Can I freeze the remaining?

The ingredients will just be filo pastry (frozen not HM), stirfry veg, soy sauce, tofu (this is optional) and they will be cooked in oven after being sprayed with fry light.

The recipe is from the current Slimming World magazine. It does not have the frozen symbol next to it, but I wonder if they can be frozen.

TIA

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    IMO a bit of a pointless exercise as the spring rolls would need crisping up again after defrosting so I would freeze them uncooked if I wanted to batch cook and then cook the defrosted rolls as and when required

Lesleyxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport