PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Comments

• Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 January 2018 at 11:18PM
    Had a funny old day today.Am exhausted tonight.The only item out of the house today is the IKEA cabinet unit I described yesterday
    231: Ikea storage unit (same number of items decluttered as you,Mrs Salad Dodger)
    232:bag of pieces of card.Don't know where it came from,or what sort of cardboard it was-it looked like photo printing paper.
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!

I'm trying to declutter by selling my unwanted belongings on Ebay but my house is more cluttered now than when I started. Clearing cupboards out to take photographs etc of the products to list them.

Any tips please?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!

I'm trying to declutter by selling my unwanted belongings on Ebay but my house is more cluttered now than when I started. Clearing cupboards out to take photographs etc of the products to list them.

Any tips please?

I never use bay of e, Ms Chocaholic but can you clear a corner or table, take a photo for bay of e, then print a copy of the photo, wrap the item, weigh it & temporarily attach the photo with cost of postage noted on the back of the photo. Each wrapped item could then be put in a box ready to be addressed & posted - hopefully within a couple of days of listing!
    I get the impression from what I have read on other threads that listing a few items at a time on ‘free listing’ & putting a time limit on is the way forward.

Hope this helps but I am sure lots of good advice will be given by actual users of bay of e.

Good luck

MrsSD
    390/2018
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??

• 221/ 222 Candles

Yay, some more stuff actually out of the house (well, some of it is in the car, but it's moving on... )

223 - Eggbox (returned for reuse)
    224 Box to cs
    225/ 226 String of Xmas lights and a string of mini disco mirror-ball lights with their boxes (sent to electrical recycling bin)
    227 / 228 a lipstick and old lip balm
    229 to 232 Body and hand lotions (smell funny, not sure how long they have been there :eek:)
    233 Tin
    234 Random packaging from bathroom drawer
    235 Old toothbrush
    236 to 238 OOD suncreams (these also smell funny so not even going to use them as moisturisers)
    239 Rubber duck (yes, still clearing bathroom :))
    240 to 241 old cosmetic bags

And more from DD :T:A

242 to 250 More badges
    251 to 253 Make-up brushes
    254 Bag
    255 Fridge magnet
    256 String of fairy lights, batteries recycled too
    257 to 277 ppw
    278 to 302 More study cards
    303 to 305 Broken ring binders
    306 to 308 Laminate posters
    309 to 315 paper posters
    316 to 318 sticker books
    319 to 326 plastic wallets
    327 Photo book
    328 Catalogue
    329 to 334 more ppw
    335 Instruction booklet nlr
    336 too 337 torn cardboard folders
    338 Old candle
    339 Old play script from school project
    340 to 347 Newspapers and ppw from school project

She's doing well :)

All recycled where possible, though still a shocking amount goes in the bin. :(
  • I'd like to join,
    I'm gonna see today if i can get rid of some more stuff
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!

Any tips please?

I use Eb*y mainly for selling. I collect stuff I want to sell and put in boxes/large laundry bags or crates and either keep in spare room or bedroom. I then sell in batches - so put 10/20/30 items up at a time to finish when I know I will have time to take to PO a day or 2 after selling and always to finish in the evening. If payment not received by the "window of opportunity" then I let buyer know they will have to wait and TBH that is rare. As each item gets a bid I parcel up and put in a large shopping bag/box - I mainly use recycled envelopes and boxes but dont seal - very occasionally a buyer will buy more than one item. Soon as its sold its sealed and addressed ready for posting. I am lucky in that our local PO is open 7 days a week until 11pm so I pop along when its quiet and I dont cause an impatient queue:rotfl:

I have two golden rules:

1. With selling - put a realistic price on it with posting - and most of my things start at £5 or put £10 on it with free posting. But it really depends on what you are selling so do some research to see if it worth having stuff hanging around. My hit rate is pretty good!

2. Relist once with no changes. Relist second time with change in start price and/or postage. Relist third time with shorter selling time ( my listings are 5 or 7 days depending on day of week I list) and if it doesn't sell then.... its off to CS.

Thats how I do it anyway...its like a production line ( but with better packaging than Amaz*n;). Pays to be organised if you have a lot of stuff:D HTH
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Very slow going here...2 items sold and posted in a box that had been lying in the cupboard for months.
    197/2018
  • A slow start to the decluttering this year because we're getting a kitchen extension - just packed everything into boxes and quite a lot has gone;

1to 6 - plastic storage tubs with no lids/stained/lids with no tubs
    7 to 9 - baking trays that are past their best
    10 to 13 - three old saucepans and an old frying pan (all were Argos value several years ago)
    14 to 17 - thermos flask, 2 spare gym water bottles and a bike water bottle to charity shop
    18 to 23 - 6 free glasses from Euro 2012 that we brought him from Italy to charity shop
    24 - jeans to ebay
    25 - boots to eBay
    26 to 33 - lip balm collection to eBay
    34 - body lotion to ebay
    35 - hoody to eBay
    36 to 48 - expired half used food items to food bin
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 26 January 2018 at 10:46PM
    Hi everyone,

I have just spent the last hour trying to find the thread re mountains of cookery books! No joy but I have done an initial cull, so

391 - 400 Damaged beyond use cookery books in recycling bag
    401 - 417 Cookery books to cs (I have kept 17!)
    418 Wicker type tray/basket to cs
    419 Large glass cake stand to cs
    420 - 423 Books to cs
    424 Small Letter Rack to cs
    425 Unused Belt to cs
    426 ‘Hot Buns’ hair styling items to cs
    427 - 430 Metal ‘New Orleans’ themed drinks coasters to cs

Found some sweeties which will be decluttered into our tummies over the next few days!

To a clutter free 2018!

MrsSD:)
    430/2018
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • bit_by_bit
    bit_by_bit Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Not done much this week. Dizzy and nauseated. I have realised that a lot of clutter is magazines I have kept and not read. I have started reading them, one at a time between books (my other vast collection). So two down this week - they will be added to what I think of my waiting room bag. When it is full the bag will go so not counting them just yet. I hope everyone is having a good day. This is perfect decliuttering weather.
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, Big C survivor. Officially retired at 55 2021 [/b][/b].Mortgage free April 2021Challenges 2024: Decluttering Campaign 32/100 bags plus 0 large items. Make £2024 in 2024#8 £0/£2024 Using my craft stash 0/52 Reading books 0/52 Donations for the CS/washing done from others (in and outs) in 2024 x 10 bags and 0 large items.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure