PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Options

Comments

• Art_Deco
    Art_Deco Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Art_Deco wrote: »
    [IMG]http://9780312150600,jpg267[/IMG] Iv tried to post an image just testing to see if it works.
    Haha no it didnt im so not technical ,oh well im making an attempt to read a none murder so have just started BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE MUSEUM by Kate Atkins lots of going back and forth in time, but interesting family life , taking a bit longer to get in too.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm reading The Essex Serpent, by Sarah Perry, at the moment.

Excellent. The praise was well-deserved. Damn kindle rebooting every hour and freezing every two hours, though.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Art_Deco
    Options
    behind-the-scenes-at-the-museum-kate-atkinson-9780552996181?currency=GBP&gtrck=alEvQ280dEI5S2xnRWRQSkRVaTJ4UFI3SGY3aTFqTmlURUFqSHBvTzhhTHk0YVdVWkNSdG91VkFOd294UE5ySW1hR2E0MHBZQ05CdWdRZjRyUXU4NkE9PQ&gclid=Cj0KEQiAtqHEBRCNrdC6rYq9_oYBEiQAejvRl19HCakLrSGBexXfyop9T0Z9qSPG0kI6kSQL_G5-XAoaAtvS8P8HAQ
  • Art_Deco
    Options
    9780552996181.jpg
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Damn kindle rebooting every hour and freezing every two hours, though.
    The worst that can happen to an old fashioned book is getting soggy in the bath :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Winchelsea
    Options
    Loved that book Art Deco - read it about 15 years ago. Would love to read it again but have SO many on my To Read shelves!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Finished my third book : The Trouble With Goats and Sheep. Loved the references to 1976 but not so much the story itself. Need to find something new to read.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • *Margaret*
    Options
    Art Deco - I loved that book, haven't read it in a long time. I read a few others of hers, but thought that one was by far the best.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another Kate Atkinson fan here. Life After Life is my favourite.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Syman wrote: »
    Top book, read it after seeing it in last years thread. another similar book is 13227454.jpg
    Well I took your advice, and this was book 7, finished this evening. 8/10.

I read the first couple of chapters and didn't think much at first, but am glad I persisted! Highly allegorical, it really made me think about life as Harold's journey progressed. What emerged towards the end of the book was so incredibly sad.

Book 8:
    51rFPalOn%2BL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

5.5/10. I found this basic and just when it was on the cusp of getting somewhere, it withdrew back into standard mindfulness exercises. Also I'm not keen on Ruby's humour, and the book is littered with her observations which are not really my cup of tea. The good news for those not ethnically minded is that it is easy to read and not highly scientific.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure