Tesco Mobile Price Increase

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    boatman wrote: »
    That's more like it, because phones have become so expensive, it needs better regulation, funnily enough, that's what it says in the report I linked to..

1. Do you want them banned after a certain price? NO
    2. Do you want people who have these phones to wear “muppet” badges? Already answered by pmduk
    3. Do you want people who get into money problems with these phones to wear “muppet badges”? Think they have enough problems
    4. If people buy them do you want to take their money off them and control what they spend their money on? No, because they might well be able to afford it, refer to question 2.

I would have had more respect for you if your argument was solely based on more stringent credit checks so to lower the risk of people getting into debt but the fact that you labelled people muppets and fanboys earlier and then indirectly confirmed it means I have no respect for your argument. I really detest people who sit and judge others and label those people to make them sound inferior or stupid.

But hey your entitled to call people whatever you choose just like I’m entitled to call out crap like that.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    Sorry, do I have to dig out other mobile phone names for balance or to fulfil your? Why did I need to highlight that iPhone is just an example? You are the only person making this 'point'.

What does that have to do with your initial post and first response?

Your lack of knowledge of phone brands is immaterial, you stipulated “iPhones” and I replied there are now many makes available at >£750. You then became argumentative asking where you singled out iPhones and I posted where you did. Understand now?

Perhaps research before making erroneous statements in future and you won’t look quite so ignorant.
    ====
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Let me clarify, I believe all prominently logo badged brands are muppet badges - on most fmcg products
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    john22 wrote: »
    You calling them gimmicks and pretty graphics adds nothing to the discussion because that’s all you think an expensive phone is and you have no explanation as to why people buy them or appreciation as to why people buy them (inward thinking)

There is a lot of things i don’t buy in life but I can still appreciate and understand why people buy those things. Also I have an appreciation of what goes into advancing technology and moving things forward.

I’m all for discussion if it’s based around what someone requires. So if someone has certain requirements for a phone and has a budget or looking for a good mobile phone deal then people should offer up suggestions based on those requirements.

Your post had nothing to do with what the OP had said and just came across as a gripe against expensive phones and mobile phone contracts.

The cheapest way is to always buy your phone separately with no added interest and have the data plan separate. But if someone wants to do it over 24 months and pay extra I won’t jump into the timeline and declare that the phone is just pretty graphics and gimmicks.

And after your umpteenth post on this subject, rather than coming up with something constructive to even prove part of what I have said as wrong, you have just continued moaning about my right to tell people what to spend their money on, even though i havent said that.

Time for a lie down....
  • pmduk
    Forumite
    Shrimply wrote: »
    Ironically it applies less to high end phones because they have mostly dropped any branding on the front to make space for more screen.

They tend to move their logos to the reverse of the handset to be seen by everyone else!

My main problem with top-end handsets are those people who buy them sheep-like because of the brand, not because of the feature or the quality, and often get themselves into financial trouble as a result. But we should be blaming marketing people at the manufacturers not the networks who just respond to the demand.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Actually, the marketing people are doing a great job. Everything is driven by marketing today - from manufacturers to politicians. Not much you can do about the supply side, so it's really down to people being savvy and grounded. Where they are they should be able to make their own decisions. Where they act like sheep they will stay sheep.
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    d123 wrote: »
    What does that have to do with your initial post and first response?

Your lack of knowledge of phone brands is immaterial, you stipulated “iPhones” and I replied there are now many makes available at >£750. You then became argumentative asking where you singled out iPhones and I posted where you did. Understand now?

Perhaps research before making erroneous statements in future and you won’t look quite so ignorant.

Perhaps research the meaning of 'erroneous statements'. Iphones > £750 = correct statement.

Nowhere in my post whatsoever did I claim that Iphone was the only phone costing over £750. Perhaps to satisfy you I should have spent about half an hour preparing for posting here researching every single phone available, so I could list every (for example) 50 phones, so that you cant tell me there are more.

You seem like the only one making this fatuous argument about my Iphones comment. Have a lie down.
  • pmduk
    Forumite
    Actually, the marketing people are doing a great job. Everything is driven by marketing today - from manufacturers to politicians.

Perhaps I'm just turning into Victor Meldrew then! sadly the fact I remember him proves the point.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    And after your umpteenth post on this subject, rather than coming up with something constructive to even prove part of what I have said as wrong, you have just continued moaning about my right to tell people what to spend their money on, even though i havent said that.

Time for a lie down....

I never said your telling people what to buy which you keep going on about. Its the fact that you can't understand that others get enjoyment from it and all you can do is drop into a thread and gripe about something that does not interest you.

You cant even open your mind to the fact that people see value where you don't.
    Why people think they need Iphones is beyond me. It seems like too many people are seduced by pretty graphics and gimmicks
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,698
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    john22 wrote: »
    I would have had more respect for you if your argument was solely based on more stringent credit checks so to lower the risk of people getting into debt but the fact that you labelled people muppets and fanboys earlier and then indirectly confirmed it means I have no respect for your argument. I really detest people who sit and judge others and label those people to make them sound inferior or stupid.

But hey your entitled to call people whatever you choose just like I’m entitled to call out crap like that.
    By calling someone a muppet for spending a £1000+ really isn't the end of the world, If they have the money or not I still think its not a wise decision, at the end of the day its my opinion.
    Ok, perhaps i should have used sheeple, as fanboy seems more offensive :)

The real issue is people getting in to debt, the mobile industry happy to see it continue, with slack regulation they are having a field day, but you seem more concerned about the word 'muppet'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure