Marriage Allowance

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Rob_Parker wrote: »
    Based upon the figures given for tax year 2015/16 then the lower earning spouse may end up owing and paying tax under this scheme!

My wife earns £9910 and pays no tax. She transfers 10% of her allowance to me and ends up with an allowance of £9540 for 2015/16 and £9900 for 2016/17.

As a result, her personal allowance for 2015/16 is short by £470 and she now owes £91 in back tax which is going to be taken from her @£6 per month for the next year! Check Note 3 on the back of your Notice of Coding to see if you now owe tax.

Be careful what you wish for!
    But you have lost nothing , as you gained the relief on the 10% transferred.

For the last tax year, ended up paying a couple of £s in tax,but my husband saved 20% or the £1060 ie £212.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Kaz17 wrote: »
    Hi. We've already claimed the £212 allowance, are we eligible to claim the new one?:)

The transfer stays in place until one of you dies or the donor requests its return.

This tax year's transfer will show on both your tax codes (though HMRC failed to send mine to me,this year,but my pension provider has it, so it's ok). This year it's a transfer of £1100 allowance, saving up to £220.
  • Hi,

Applied for the marriage allowance 2 weeks ago (well my partner did for my allowance). Application went smoothly online through and been approved. I received a letter that it been approved and contained my tax code for 2016-2017 (S1210M). I read online at HMRC: "If your application is successful, changes to your Personal Allowances will be backdated to the start of the tax year (6 April)."

I applied on the 26st of March 2016. Does this mean I still get the allowance automatically backdated to April 2015?

I ask this because the letter doesn't say anything about this. It only gave me a tax code (and the amount of £ 12100) for 6 april 2016 to 5 april 2017.
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 April 2016 at 8:21PM
    Couple of questions.

Although last year we went through the first part of the application for this (to gain the email link to fully apply) we didn't proceed any further.

This was due to the lower earner would have had to pay tax once this code was reduced.

Instead we waited to use the email link in this tax year (i.e. from today) as the lower earner of us will (in this tax year) be far below the threshold.

So here's the two questions.

Q1. Is anyone else getting the error message '
    Marriage Allowance Application

The Marriage Allowance service won't be available from midnight on 5 April 2016 due to the change of tax year. Please check back later'

When they use a previous provided link or go to the HMRC website?

Q2. Can anyone tell me if its possible on the application to apply for this tax 'break' from this tax year only - i.e. to ignore it for 15/16?

Thanks in advance
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Q1. Is anyone else getting the error message '
    Marriage Allowance Application

The Marriage Allowance service won't be available from midnight on 5 April 2016 due to the change of tax year. Please check back later'
    Everyone is, they have obviously taken the service offline due to the change of tax year. Anyones guess when it will come back.
  • Has anyone had any success at applying on the phone, after the website was pulled last night? I will be calling them tomorrow, now that we know we are entitled to it...
    Having fun trying to save money without going over the top and living on budget food all the time...
  • Hi there me and my partner don't work he is on ESA he did work last year though
  • Rob_Parker wrote: »
    Based upon the figures given for tax year 2015/16 then the lower earning spouse may end up owing and paying tax under this scheme!

My wife earns £9910 and pays no tax. She transfers 10% of her allowance to me and ends up with an allowance of £9540 for 2015/16 and £9900 for 2016/17.

As a result, her personal allowance for 2015/16 is short by £470 and she now owes £91 in back tax which is going to be taken from her @£6 per month for the next year! Check Note 3 on the back of your Notice of Coding to see if you now owe tax.

Be careful what you wish for!

Wife owing £91 and you getting £212 back (assuming you paid that much tax) is still worthwhile - as a married couple you are £121 better off. I think most couples would be happy with that outcome. You could always give your wife £91 of your refund if she's unhappy with having to pay tax now.
  • ^!£$&
    ^!£$& Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    We got married in March this year and I'm below the threshold for 15/16 tax year only due to maternity leave. Anyone know if we're still eligible to claim for the previous tax year? Is there a certain period of the tax year you have to be married for? Thanks xx
  • itm2
    itm2 Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    I've just discovered this, and realised that I could/should have done this for the 2014-15 tax year, when I only used £300 of my personal allowance. Last year (2015-16) I did use my full allowance.

Does anyone know if I would be able to claim for the 2014-15 tax year?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback