Paypal Chargebacks

I recent sold an item on Ebay and was paid by the buyer via Paypal.

Before I could send the goods I received and email from Paypal advising me the the Buyer claimed his account was "misused" to purchase the item. It stated I should not send the goods or contact the buyer directly, both of which I complied to.

Some weeks later I received a further email stating that as I have not provided them with Proof of Delivery the money paid by the buyer would be debited from my Paypal account AND I was being charged a Chargeback fee of £14.

I have tried to reason with Paypal via their resolution centre however they are clueless and don't seem to understand that it is unreasonable to charge the seller in this instance as I have done nothing wrong. If anything the Buyer should be charged for not securing his Ebay & Paypal accounts.

Has anyone had similar experience with the muppets at Paypal?

Comments

• campdave
    campdave Posts: 2,198 Forumite
    I recent sold an item on Ebay and was paid by the buyer via Paypal.

Before I could send the goods I received and email from Paypal advising me the the Buyer claimed his account was "misused" to purchase the item. It stated I should not send the goods or contact the buyer directly, both of which I complied to.

Some weeks later I received a further email stating that as I have not provided them with Proof of Delivery the money paid by the buyer would be debited from my Paypal account AND I was being charged a Chargeback fee of £14.

I have tried to reason with Paypal via their resolution centre however they are clueless and don't seem to understand that it is unreasonable to charge the seller in this instance as I have done nothing wrong. If anything the Buyer should be charged for not securing his Ebay & Paypal accounts.

Has anyone had similar experience with the muppets at Paypal?

If you phone Paypal, you may have the fee waived.

However, the fee is in the T&C, as the instructions are clear that proof of postage should be obtained to protect you against chargebacks.

However, as you hadn;t sent the items, why you decided not to refund to close the case seems an odd decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure