Multifuel or Wood burning stove

Hello,
I have some basic questions, hopefully somebody can answer.

We've just moved into a house and wondered if anybody can tell us what would be best, wood burning stove or multifuel?

Does one heat better than the other.?
Do I need to do anything to my chimney?

Where is the best place to buy a stove from, I've looked locally and also looked at some sites on the internet, some of the prices are good but I'm always a little wary of buying online.

thanks

Comments

• waj1234
    waj1234 Posts: 63 Forumite
    I am having a multi stove fitted on weds this week. I chose a local Hetas installer and got an 8kw stove from a local supplier who gave me the installers contact details.

The install needs a sold fuel chimney liner to be more efficient but could be fit in a chimney. A plate is fitted to the chimney to seal it at the bottom.

I went for a multi fuel so smokeless fuels can also be used with wood logs also, best of both worlds.

If the stove is higher than 5kw a permanent air vent is needed for an air supply.

My install price is £800 if that helps.

Simon.
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 122 Forumite
    hey shifter,

yes pretty much as the last post says. anything over 5kw must have an air vent bringing in fresh air etc.

when getting a stove it depends on what fuel you think you will use? wood is fine but if you want the optrion to use coal then the multi fuel would be far better as it needs an airflow to ensure it burns well.

A multi fuel grate will have a riddling function where as woodburners will just have a static grate as wood burns on a flat bed of ash.

With the multi fuel version they are easier to clean as the riddling means the ash falls below the grate into an ashpan. where as the wood only versions has to be scooped out and is messy.

With regards to the chimney there are a few things that need to be taken into consideration:

I would get a chimney sweep in to sweep the chimney and check the chimney for cracks, leaks or the the possibility of it leaking any time soon.

They recomend that you use a flexible liner for the following reasons:

* Its stainless steel and heats up very quickly this in turn ensures you get a good draw very quickly- cold chimney = sluggish stove
    * easier to sweep the chimney as the rod goes up the liner and its done.
    * again it will keep any crap in side the liner until you get it swept, this will protect the chimney brick work and can reduce risk of fires.
    * The chimney liner can hold a chimney fire back for upto 30 mins while you get the fire brigade in ;)

If you decide that the chimney is fine or you dont want to line the chimney you can simply have the stove siting there with a stove pipe sticking up into the chimney HOWEVER you must do the following if this is the case:

* You must have a closeur plate (board that seals underside of chimney opening) and this must be made from 1.5mm steel and must be sealed so that it is airtight so smoke cant come back down and into the room

there are some good guides on there also

hope this helps and hasnt baffled you too much but if i have just ask away :D
  • moo2moo
    moo2moo Posts: 4,694 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Where do you live and what do your local fuel merchants sell? Bags of coal here are £13 for 50kg, mid winter 4 bags last a month running 2 stoves 24 hours a day. Logs on the other hand are £2.50 a net (containing a whopping 8 pieces). The woodburner will happily munch its way through 4+ of these a day. Fortunately the local tree surgeons drop of trees here on a regular basis so I don't actually pay that.

We have 4 working chimneys, non of them are lined, but they are all swept 2x yearly. Liners are ridiculously expensive and have a very short life, the cheaper ones only have a 5 year guarantee and will cost £500+ fitted.
    Saving for a Spinning Wheel and other random splurges : £183.50
  • stoveman
    flexible liners have a warranty of normally 15 years although they generally have a life expectancy of 25+ years.

as long as you dont burn damp unseasoned wood then it will last donkeys years.

dont be fooled by these internet sites that sell liner for £12.99 per meter as they grade is very low for example:

316/316 grade= very low grade steel inside and outer layer is also low grade which means its resistance against corrotion is lower.

the one I would reccommend as a minimum would be 904/316 grade as it has a higher resistance and will last longer. the inner layer is 904 and outer is 316

the site i posted above sells the 904/316 grade liner by the way
  • shifter123
    shifter123 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Thanks to you all for responding, I think my wife and I have a good starting point!

I've contacted a local HETAS engineer who is coming over to smoke bomb our chimney - sounds interesting - then we can decide which stove we like. My wife has taken a liking to a Tiger multifuel stove from here:

http://www.stovesareus.co.uk/catalog/tiger-multifuel-woodburning-stove-p-83.html

they are offering a free bit of pipe and it seems that they also have the liner parts you talked about. I'm not sure if we will go for this one, there appear to be hundreds to choose from.

thanks again, I'll let you know how we get on.
  • stoveman
    Cant say i know much about the tiger stoves although you do get what you pay for when it comes to woodburners.

Probably the best cheaper stove ive ever come across is called a Mulberry joyce, do a google search for Mulberry Joyce ive seen these working and was quite surprised by hpw well they worked, they are a copy of an aga stove! you look at the mulberry joyce then look at a aga little wenlock ;)

check to see what grade the liner is with stoves are us as it says its 316 if it is 316/316 then their liner is expensive.

if you need any help or advice just post here and I will see if I can help :D

EDIT:
    Mulberry Joyce = 524.jpeg

Aga Little Wenlock =331.jpeg
  • dekh
    dekh Posts: 237 Forumite
    You could always just try an open fire.

We got our fire grates from wilko, the old fashioned shiny metal front bits second hand. And one of those shiney metal knights with companion set second hand. Less than £60 between the two fires.

It will take many years to claw back the additional cost of the stove, the liner and the installation on the savings in fuel.

But then, in a stove, the wood or coal won't spit on your carpet. We are in a smokeless zone so we can only burn coke which doesn't tend to spit. We get supertherme delivered from CPL for about £15.50 per 50Kg bag, on American Express :)
    :think:
  • stoveman
    you will get your cash back far quicker on a stove.

an open fire is only approx 25% efficient therefore most of the heat will shoot up the chimney and your wasting money on fuel.

stoves are around 70-80% efficient therefore more heat to the room and less up the chimney. therefore saving you £££ on fuel
  • feclmum
    feclmum Posts: 216 Forumite
    we have that exact tiger stove and it is fab,3 of our friends also have the same one we have had them for 2years now and no probs,that seems a good price too
  • corris3
    corris3 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Hi
    if you go for a wood burner make use of freecyle for free wood, logs, old floor boards etc, most of ours comes from fellow freecyclers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure