Items you no longer buy due to increase in price??

I've stopped buying tins of pink salmon as I refuse to pay over £1 per tin (418g).
Corned beef in tins also, silly price now and again would not pay more than £1 per tin (340g).

Both of these items could be bought for under 90p and now silly prices, especially corned beef - is it the price of the corned beef that's increased or are the actual keys dearer to buy now??!!!!!

Probably loads and loads, but they are my main two.

Lynsey
**** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)

Comments

• kevin52
    kevin52 Posts: 156 Forumite
    I have been buying Bisto best gravy for years. I recently bought a few jars in a pound shop for £1 but no longer stocked. It has now gone up to £1.74 in Morrisons. I'm not paying that price!
  • I don't think there's anything that we don't buy at all but I have definitely changed my shopping habits.
    We only eat free range or organic chicken and used to buy a whole chicken twice or so a month now I buy them if I find them YS'd or if its a special occassion.
    I shop around a lot more and know the prices of everything. If I see something we like at a good price I buy loads.
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly :D

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    i only buy melons if they are £1...i only buy croissants and most bread if it is reduced
    onwards and upwards
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    I buy more cheap whole fresh fish and freeze it myself rather than buying frozen fillets as I think it's better value for money. We look in Poundland and 99p Stores more now and get our kitchen towel and tinned dogfood there rather buying in in ASDA.
  • Totally agree about the bread and croissants !!
    Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend...

• Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    kevin52 wrote: »
    I have been buying Bisto best gravy for years. I recently bought a few jars in a pound shop for £1 but no longer stocked. It has now gone up to £1.74 in Morrisons. I'm not paying that price!

Try a carton of Aldi Quixo, I use this now and under 80p - sometimes on offer. I prefer it.

Lynsey
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • Riversong
    Riversong Posts: 342 Forumite
    I stopped buying the few branded items we used to enjoy.

Coco pops
    Tinned Tuna
    Walkers crisps
    Biscuits

Also stopped buying as much meat. Probably a good thing anyway with two young children we need to set a better example with food.

X
  • Lip_Stick
    Lip_Stick Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Agree with the corned beef. That used to make a cheap meal but reaching now it's hitting £1.90 a tin. I wouldn't pay that.

I've been worrying lately that food is going to rise even more and I'll be priced out of a lot of things. Not sure what else I wouldn't buy, as most of the food I get is whoopsied.
    There's a storm coming, Mr Johnson. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    No longer buy branded yogurt. Natural 500g's is 55p in Tesco Lidl and Sains.
    And hard cheese, wait now for bargains at £3 something,or go for soft cheese/slices.
    Cut right down on bread..when I do buy it's from Heron Kingsmill with 30p coupon brings it down to 70p and their clearance shelf is good.
    Don't buy hot deli anymore, prices gone daft.
    Wait now on whisky prices. Don't buy cleaning products except cheapest bleach and use Value vinegar otherwise.
    No more muesli, buy cheapest oats and add own fruit.
    Could go on.
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Another major brand I forgot was Heinz salad cream, I don't like salad cream thankfully, but remember when Heinz hiked the price just to make it a "premium product"??!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynsey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure