PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Comments

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Chris25 wrote: »
    Don't know about the top one - have never tried to freeze lentils myself.
    I have frozen soup with red lentils in and it is fine.
    I think perhaps if the lentils are meant to be more solid in the recipe they may go a bit mushy on freezing/defrosting ? Perhaps don't add the lentils until you want to eat it ?
    Just a thought and not necessarily the best option!
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• I made a red lentil curry thing and it froze fine.
  • Am new to this cooking lark so excuse my ignorance!

I cooked Delia's chicken hot pot tonight, but have lots of left over stock and chicken, so have blended it all together to make a soup. Can you freeze it at all - or is it best to leave in the fridge and reheat when needed? Don't want to poison myself...
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Get a plastic tub and put any leftovers in it in the freezer, just keep adding anything and everything until you use it.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • I've got my shoppping beening delivered tomorrow so i'm just in the middle of sorting my fridge out. I'm proud to say that since meal planning i'm hardly throwing anything away......I'm ashamed to say we did throw alot of food away each week :(

Theres just 3 questions I have

1) I have 2 onions left, can I chopped them and freeze them? do I need to do anything to them before I freeze them.

2) Carrots - i've a bag of carrots that look like they need eating soon, can I freeze these, again i'll chop them but do I just freeze them or do I need to do something else first.

3) Muffins - I made some blueberry muffins yesterday. I made way too many and I dont want to throw them away. Are these ok to freeze?

Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me........but i'm enjoying every bit.
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!
    JUST LOVES THE O/S BOARD
  • yes can freeze all of the above

alternatively turn the onions and carrots into a soup
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi winniiepooh,

Yes you can just chop and freeze the onions and carrots. If I do carrots without blanching though I try to use them up within a few weeks. They seem to last better in the freezer if they're blanched. Are the onions on the turn? If not I'd leave them as they'll last for ages in a cool dark place.

These threads may help:

Freezing onions

Freezing carrots

Muffins freeze really well and if you give them a quick blast in the microwave once they're defrosted they'll be lovely.

Pink
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    winniepooh wrote: »

3) Muffins - I made some blueberry muffins yesterday. I made way too many and I dont want to throw them away. Are these ok to freeze?

Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me........but i'm enjoying every bit.

Just this once...............send them to me & I (& my DH & DD) will sort them out for you:rotfl:

SAE on way:p
  • MrsE wrote: »
    Just this once...............send them to me & I (& my DH & DD) will sort them out for you:rotfl:

lol :D. I'm only just get into the baking lark........you can be my guinea pig
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!
    JUST LOVES THE O/S BOARD
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    MrsE wrote: »

Now don't be greedy, you must learn to share ;)
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure