Help with Thomson holiday complaint.

Options
Hi,

Just looking for some help with a complaint I have made regarding my holiday with Thomson's. I traveled to Marmaris, Turkey in August with my girlfriend. Long story short we stayed at the Casa De Maris which was part of Thomson's Platinum range. Our first concerns about the hotel related to the riots in Turkey. A few days before we flew we read a review about the hotel. It mentioned how the hotel had been targeted during the riots and there are still bullet holes in the windows. Obviously this was a worry for us, should Thomson's have informed us of this?

We had various other concerns with the hotel which included the Thomson's Rep photographing our possessions and showing hotel staff. However the main complaint and most serious, happened on our final night. Just before midnight my partner went to the pool bar to get us some drinks. On the way she visited the toilets located to the side of the pool. She was followed by one of the hotel managers who shut her in the toilet and demanded to have sex with her. She attempted to get past him and screamed. He continued to insist that they have sex. Eventually my partner managed to push past him and run away. Straight away we complained to the hotel staff.
Obviously the complain was escalated, however the staff where not helpful. They walked us around the hotel pointing at random staff despite us already telling them who it was. In my opinion the staff member had planned it as he had spent the previous day finding out about our flight times etc. As the staff are aware, the Thomsons rep was off on that day so we had nobody from Thomsons to speak to directly.

When we returned we complained to Thomsons. After being told that a letter has been sent to us I finally got sick of waiting for it and called them. I was told all Thomsons would offer us is some counseling. The lady who I spoke to was very unhelpful and commented that they are a buisness and would never accept liability for what happened. She went on to say that the hotel is investigating what happened but the results of the investigation would remain confidential. I explained that I was concerned that other guests in the hotel may be targeted by the staff member but this was again brushed aside. She stated that this was the final decision on the matter and if I wanted to take it further I would have to instruct a solicitor.

I don't feel that Thomson's have helped us in any way or dealt with our complaint in a professional manner. Is there anything else I can do to escalate this complaint? The lady I spoke to said that they never offer compensation, however our holiday was ruined by what happened so I feel that we are entitled to something.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did the hotel contact the Police or did you? Have you given Thomson the Police reference?
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    It mentioned how the hotel had been targeted during the riots and there are still bullet holes in the windows. Obviously this was a worry for us, should Thomson's have informed us of this?

Why should Thomson inform you of past event that wouldn't affect your holiday and I've only seen one review that mentions it, so obviously not a major concern to everyone.
    We had various other concerns with the hotel which included the Thomson's Rep photographing our possessions and showing hotel staff.

How was a Thomson rep in a position to photograph your possessions? If they did it has nothing to do with the hotel.

With regards to the alleged attempted sexual encounter, did you complete a police report at the time, so everything is logged? Presumably she would have had bruises where he'd tried to stop her from 'escaping'. Were these photographed and documented, or did he just stand in the doorway but not try to restrain her? Have you sent a copy of the police report with your complaint to Thomson.

Did you ring Thomson 24hr emergency number so a rep could come straight out to assist you? If it wasn't reported to the police at the time then I really don't think you can do much as this stage. It's never been made official.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 October 2016 at 8:59PM
    Options
    Once reported to the police at the time of the alleged incident it would have become a police matter for investigation and action for the police to take if found a crime had been committed.

Whilst Thomson can do some investigation themselves the police investigation would take precedence. Likely that Thomson would have no ability or any right to get involved or seek information from the police investigation.

I would have thought Thomson would have however provided support, translation services etc if this was reported to them at the time of the alleged incident. They have a 24/7 contact number.

There is also a British consulate representative in Marmaris who could have been called upon at the time.

I'm afraid you lost me on the Thomson rep photographing your possessions a few days before this incident. Are we getting the full story? By chance had you made allegations of theft from the hotel and perhaps suggested the hotel staff were involved? This might possibly explain the photo episode (but strange). Could perhaps also suggest there had been some ill feelings between you and the hotel?

Care to share more information on the photography situation and clarify if any other incidents whilst on your holiday. Not sure we have the full picture.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pedge1511 wrote: »
    Our first concerns about the hotel related to the riots in Turkey. A few days before we flew we read a review about the hotel. It mentioned how the hotel had been targeted during the riots and there are still bullet holes in the windows. Obviously this was a worry for us, should Thomson's have informed us of this?

Having been in the area at a similar time are you sure of this or just taking someone's third hand 'review' as gospel ?

On the rest of it I'm not quite sure what to make of it - is there a part of the story you're not telling us as none of it stacks up with the reputation or reviews that the place has
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So, a man tried forcing your girlfriend into sex, and you made a complaint!
    Bet she feels real safe with you now, are you a man or a mouse?
  • Mr_Wangers_Wang
    Options
    I'm afraid to say, and there will no doubt be the thought police on here rebuking this. But Muslim countries around the middle east/Northern Africa are notorious for this type of behaviour.

I would love to say it's a minority but it really is not. I have seen how men behave towards my wife when I am present, I can only imagine how they would be if she was alone. Jeering, sneering, salivating, it is disgraceful. My 15 year old daughter was groped several times in Morocco, my wife propositioned multiple times in Egypt and to be honest, Turks are super dodgy anyway.

Countries I have witnessed misogyny around that area on a frequent scale are as follows, in order of hassle:

Egypt
    Saudi Arabia
    Turkey
    Morocco

But then in a part of the world that treats women as second class citizens, what can you really expect. As disgraceful and disgusting as it is. You chose to go there, just like I did :/
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    It's not unheard of for females to make allegations about staff, when it's actually been them that have 'fancied' the guy in question, and the guy didn't want to know. It happened a couple of times where I used to work many years ago.

Not saying this is the case in this instance, but the story definitely has huge gaps in it. My OH is the least aggressive person I know, but had someone done what the OP is alleging happened he'd have frogged marched me off to the police to report it, whether I wanted to go or not!
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    OP - you don't go to the police about the attack on your partner but you seem to want to get some money back from Thomsons for something out of their control - classy real classy.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm afraid to say, and there will no doubt be the thought police on here rebuking this. But Muslim countries around the middle east/Northern Africa are notorious for this type of behaviour.

I would love to say it's a minority but it really is not. I have seen how men behave towards my wife when I am present, I can only imagine how they would be if she was alone. Jeering, sneering, salivating, it is disgraceful. My 15 year old daughter was groped several times in Morocco, my wife propositioned multiple times in Egypt and to be honest, Turks are super dodgy anyway.

Countries I have witnessed misogyny around that area on a frequent scale are as follows, in order of hassle:

Egypt
    Saudi Arabia
    Turkey
    Morocco

But then in a part of the world that treats women as second class citizens, what can you really expect. As disgraceful and disgusting as it is. You chose to go there, just like I did :/
    That's a massive generalisation. I've been holidaying in Turkey for 20+ years and always felt safe. I'd agree that the government is pushing what's been a secular country for almost a hundred years towards Islam but hardly fair to demonise all Turks.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Egypt
    Saudi Arabia
    Turkey
    Morocco

Load of rubbish. I've travelled to Turkey as a single woman and also with 2 teenage girls. Never have we felt unsafe or threatened by any Turkish males. Turks are NOT "super dodgy"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure