Real-life MMD: Secret Santa standoff

Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 30 October 2012 at 6:31PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Secret Santa standoff

Our office is doing Secret Santa again this year with a limit of £15, however, the girls in our office are notorious for over-spending. Last year, I was called a Scrooge for sticking to the agreed limit when nobody else did. I know I can get something decent with £15, especially with the help of MSE, but I'm scared I'll get teased again if I don't spend more. Should I overspend to keep up or risk seeming cheap?
Click reply to have your say

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

Previous MMDs:

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• BNT
    BNT Posts: 2,788
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It doesn't sound like a very Secret Santa. If it works properly, no one is going to know what you bought.

Unless someone goes and checks prices in the stores/online, how do they know how much each gift costs? Unless your talking about overspending by 100% or something.

If you are really the only person who does not overspend, then I suggest you fall into line with the others. Secret Santa works best when everyone spends roughly the same (though, ideally, that would be the amount stated)

Otherwise, I'd buy something within the limit but that is hard to guess the price of. Not vouchers.
  • telsco
    telsco Posts: 116
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Just say that whatever you bought cost you £20 and that you must have been ripped off if they can get find the same thing for £15. :D
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    That's an expensive secret santa to start with. The key word though is secret so they shouldn't know who bought what if done correctly.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • ironlady2022
    ironlady2022 Posts: 1,544
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What's point of setting limit? Stick to agreed budget, the other good thing is to make up a nice hamper- usually expensive to buy but cheaper to make? Wrap it really nicely with a bow and no one can guess how much it was? Aldi sells lots of European cookies and confectionary, all expensive looking!
  • littlerat
    littlerat Posts: 1,792
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'd stick to it.

If you don't and it actually stays secret this year and somebody does stick to it, it'll be assumed it's you again anyway. And how far do you go? If they're the type to outdo each other, last year it went to (say) £25, this year £30... how far does it end up going?

I would however make it VERY clear to everyone you'll be sticking to the budget, they may then reconsider their own expenditure.
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 30 October 2012 at 9:43PM
    I personally think £15 is too much for a secret santa gift for work colleagues. I am doing xmas on a budget this year and even close family are getting gifts costing less than a fiver!

I would stick to the £15 budget (or less) and perhaps include a couple of scratchcards?

Its very easy to be held to ransom in these kind of things. We planned to do a secret santa in our office one year but it caused too many arguments so we binned the idea. I would rather the money went instead to a more fitting cause rather than getting a gift I don't really want that will sit at the back of the cupboard...
  • Personally I would be completely open and honest about it - when the emails go round saying 'secret santa time again, £15 limit as always', I would respond to everyone saying 'Will the £15 be stuck to this year so no-one is called a Scrooge?", or words to that effect. It was a rude thing for them to call you so obviously the girl(s) involved will be equally thick-skinned to you making it clear that their behaviour last year was unfair (;)).

That way, no stress with trying to buy something that looks more expensive than it is, and no panicy moment when your present is opened. Be honest and clear and I'll bet it doesn't happen again. You never know, other colleagues may be worrying this year about being called a Scrooge as you were and you might be doing them a favour too. :)
    "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    £15?! in my office it's a fiver!

seriously, £15 was the agreed limit, so stick with it.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Tell them that as you were called a "scrooge" last year you will be living up to the title this year and not participating.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,110
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd either tell them I'm not joining in and say it is due to the name calling when I stuck to the agreed £15 limit or if I still wanted to join in I would only spend £15 but make sure I bought something on offer, so it looked more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure