First Car Buying Private How to Test Drive no insurance?

Comments

• Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Fat_Walt wrote: »
    Not the ops problem.

Tax maybe.

I know. I said as such in my first post (#2).
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    Tilt wrote: »
    I know. I said as such in my first post (#2).

You said the RK must have a live policy, insurance wise he doesn't.
  • Not used these myself, but i person at work recommended them

https://cuvva.com/

i think they charged him £9 for 2 hours insurance
    Maybe worth downloading the app and getting a quote.
  • Tilt
    You said the RK must have a live policy, insurance wise he doesn't.

Under the continuous Insurance Enforcement rules, the car must be related to an insurance policy IF it's driven on a public road and the responsibility lies with the RK. However providing the OP takes out temporary cover to drive the car and that the cover specifically covers the car, then that would satisfy the OP's responsibility as far as the the RTA is concerned even if the RK has no insurance cover in place. The OP would be expected to produce a cover note though if stopped by the police.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • Fat_Walt
    Under the continuous Insurance Enforcement rules, the car must be related to an insurance policy IF it's driven on a public road and the responsibility lies with the RK. However providing the OP takes out temporary cover to drive the car and that the cover specifically covers the car, then that would satisfy the OP's responsibility as far as the the RTA is concerned even if the RK has no insurance cover in place. The OP would be expected to produce a cover note though if stopped by the police.

Continuous insurance rules aren't relevant to the op.

He's could also go with the suggestion of having a friend with driving other vehicles on his policy test it for him.
  • Tilt
    Continuous insurance rules aren't relevant to the op.

He's could also go with the suggestion of having a friend with driving other vehicles on his policy test it for him.

Didn't I say that in post #2 and also in my previous post where I said "the responsibility lies with the RK"?
    PLEASE NOTE
  • Fat_Walt
    Didn't I say that in post #2 and also in my previous post where I said "the responsibility lies with the RK"?

Well stop waving your maggot and button it.
  • Tilt
    Well stop waving your maggot and button it.

How very grown up of you. :T
    PLEASE NOTE
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,180
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

The OP would be OK provided he could produce the cover note within 7 days. The police might seize the car in the meantime, but that's not the OP's problem. :rotfl:
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,177
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Under the continuous Insurance Enforcement rules, the car must be related to an insurance policy IF it's driven on a public road and the responsibility lies with the RK. However providing the OP takes out temporary cover to drive the car and that the cover specifically covers the car, then that would satisfy the OP's responsibility as far as the the RTA is concerned even if the RK has no insurance cover in place.
    It would satisfy the RK's responsibility as well. The continuous enforcement law simply requires that the car be covered by a policy that specifically identifies it. There's no requirement that the policy is taken out by or in the name of the RK - it just has to exist in some form. If the OP takes out a policy on the car then the RK is also fine from the point of view of continuous insurance (on the days the OP's policy is in force, at least).

In any event the OP says that the seller does have insurance of his own, so the question isn't especially relevant.

AdventureRocks - it is theoretically possible that the seller does have a policy which allows any driver to drive his car, but it is unlikely - any driver policies are expensive and you have to go out of your way to find them. If he has a standard car insurance policy then it will NOT cover you to drive, unless he specifically asks his insurer to add you as a named driver for the day (and in most cases pays them an extra fee). Certainly you should not rely on his insurance unless you've seen the documents and checked for yourself that it covers you.

Failing that your options are as suggested a one day policy of your own, or take someone you trust who does have driving other cars cover who can test drive it for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure