PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick Questions on ANYTHING Old Style 3 (See first post for links to other threads)

Comments

• Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Can anyone tell me if there's any way to work out what size cake tin you can use if you haven't got the one required in the recipe please? For instance, I prefer to make a loaf, muffins or traybake to circular cakes. I read Delia Smith's comment that a lot of cake failures are due to using the wrong size tin and wondered if there was a formula?
    Hoping that someone out there understands what I'm trying to say...:o
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if there's any way to work out what size cake tin you can use if you haven't got the one required in the recipe please? For instance, I prefer to make a loaf, muffins or traybake to circular cakes. I read Delia Smith's comment that a lot of cake failures are due to using the wrong size tin and wondered if there was a formula?

I'm not sure what the conversions are, but I use a recipe which is meant to go in an 8" cake tin, but I prefer to make a traybake one too, so I use a 10" x 8" tin. It also makes about 24 fairy cakes. I'm sure there is a way of doing it, so I'll be watching with interest.
  • Eenymeeny
    Thanks Justamum, I'm glad that someone understood me! :)
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
  • geminilady
    geminilady Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Does lemon and lime juice go off?just noticed it says use within a month on some bottles I have in the fridge,also says it on jam?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    Justamum wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the conversions are, but I use a recipe which is meant to go in an 8" cake tin, but I prefer to make a traybake one too, so I use a 10" x 8" tin. It also makes about 24 fairy cakes. I'm sure there is a way of doing it, so I'll be watching with interest.
    I'd say you needed to do a calculation involving volumes. Obviously this is easiest if you have both the 'suggested' tin size / shape and the 'preferred' tin to hand: you can then lob water into one and see how much more / less it is in the 'other' tin.

If you're using a different tin because you don't have the 'suggested', then good old google comes to the rescue: see 1/3 of the way down this page for lists of different sizes and shapes, and this one for the maths, including novelty tins. BBC's got some rough and ready calculations half way down this page. And there's Nigella.

Key thing is that a cake will cook at different speeds depending on how deep the mix is, and what shape it's in. You'll have to watch a square or rectangular tin more closely than a round one, as the corners may burn, especially if it's not as deep as it would be in a round one.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Eenymeeny
    Thanks so much, Savvy-Sue. That's just what I was looking for! I've added those links to my favourites. As suggested, it would be a good idea to print them off and keep them with my cookbooks.
    Should be a help to you too Justamum eh?
  • Eenymeeny
    geminilady wrote: »
    Does lemon and lime juice go off?just noticed it says use within a month on some bottles I have in the fridge,also says it on jam?
    I'm not sure about it going off but you could freeze small quantities as ice cubes if it's getting near to it's use by date?
  • lita
    lita Posts: 418 Forumite
    What can I use my son's milk for if he turns his nose up at it? It's normally 9oz that's been nuked for 1 minute. It seems such a waste to just tip it down the drain :/

Thanks
    Mummy to Oliver - 28/10/09

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    lita wrote: »
    What can I use my son's milk for if he turns his nose up at it? It's normally 9oz that's been nuked for 1 minute. It seems such a waste to just tip it down the drain :/
    What sort of milk? Are we talking formula here? That will affect the answers ... but one of them would be to make smaller bottles and give him more of them?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • lita
    lita Posts: 418 Forumite
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    What sort of milk? Are we talking formula here? That will affect the answers ... but one of them would be to make smaller bottles and give him more of them?

It's normal full fat milk. It is very very rare that it won't drink it (unfortunately I am battling him right now!!). He has a 9oz bottle in the morning and another at bedtime and they're normally downed in one but it kills me to tip it away on that rare occasion:cool:
    Mummy to Oliver - 28/10/09

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport