PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House Selling - Money Saving Tips

Comments

• glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Who's going to spend money on a house they don't even own yet? Dafty
  • bestill
    bestill Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It might be possible for you to change the locks yourself once you've moved. My husband did ours, they were quite easy. Just buy them on the day you move.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Spammer, who doesn't know the difference between a conveyor and a conveyancer reported.
  • Hello everyone. I'm completely new to this thread and will have a good read when I get home. My flat's been on with an agent since end March and not sold. 11 through the door in the first 2 weeks, 2 came close to offering but then nothing for the rest of the time. I'm talking to a new agent this evening and we're going with a different approach - on all the websites for a week prior to an open Saturday. There is a charge for professional photography of £178 inc VAT. I think there would be benefits in using a pro as the original photos weren't great but how can I get the price down?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    ChrissieS wrote: »
    I think there would be benefits in using a pro as the original photos weren't great but how can I get the price down?
    If the person is really a pro, they won't turn-out for much less, but I would expect some consulation over the shots that will be used, not just "flash, bang, thank you m'am."

It's more important that you make the job of the photographer easier by ensuring there's no clutter and a few uplifting things around, like fresh flowers in the house and a tidy garden, if there is one.

Don't over-stage the place, though. The table set for dinner with wine glasses, napkins etc and the kitchen clock reading 11am just makes people laugh nowadays!

Some people might add that the reason you haven't had an offer yet is probably because people have viewed your asking price in the same way as you view the photographer's fee, but I wouldn't be so rude......
  • ChrissieS_2
    ChrissieS_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi Dave. Thanks for commenting. Flat is ready for photographing. I've kept it neat and uncluttered, ditto the garden for nearly 3 months! Exhausting sometimes, esp as I work 7 days a week trying to save for moving. We're going to reduce the flat by £15K. I feel it became overpriced as the market has dropped. I do however believe it's worth £155K and hoping to get that as it's going on at OIEO £150K. I'm a realist and not greedy but I need to use the proceeds while maxing out on a mortgage to move up to a 2-bedroomed ground floor flat in a cheaper area and I'm on the absolute cusp of affordability (I have £60K to pay back on the current mortgage + £3K redemption). I will definitely be consulting over the shots and have researched and taken practice shots of my own to check good aspect etc - I overlook lovely woods so need to factor those in a lot. Thanks again.
  • ChrissieS_2
    ChrissieS_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I would add that I live in an expensive city. My flat is a first-time buyers red brick purpose-built thing on a modern estate (37ish years old). £155K might sound like a lot I guess depending on where you are, but here in Bristol that's one of the cheapest for a decent modern flat and the location by lovely woodland is an amazing bonus.
  • i want sell my home..the place near with on the road,mall,and strategis place..if u interested chat me..
  • Very good advise for local house sellers ,entirely a different situation trying to sell Bulgarian properties.The agent who sold me a studio refuses to accept my property for sale.I tried to get them to rent it out ,nearly two years now ,despite promises to advertise it ,nothing happened.Now am trying to sale it because it is just a drain on my pocket,he wont list it for sale ,refuses to answer my Skype messages.Watch out folks with these cheap Bulgarian properties:(:(:(:(:(.
  • ReenieMac
    ReenieMac Posts: 16 Forumite
    Our house in the north of Scotland has been on the market for around 5 months with very little interest, we'd really like to sell soon so are wondering if anyone who knows their stuff can give good advice please? Am I allowed to post a link to it so people can have a look and give advice? We have already dropped the price by £5,000 and could obviously drop it by more but are wondering if we should be doing a wee bit of decorating or if there's something else we're missing. The estate agent did advise against decorating as we 'wouldn't get our money back'. Should we be chasing up the estate agent and asking them to do more? Any help gratefully received! Thanks, Irene
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback