PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    MITSTM Possibly not! I'm in Greater Manchester so will have a look the next time I'm in Tesco for some regional produce particular to this region. We are famous for our black puddings in my town :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 June 2017 at 12:42PM
    I'm on the south coast, at the seaside. :)

I'm at the wrong seaside though as I don't like the beach - and would have to drive a whole 3 miles to get to the uninterrupted 7 long miles of soft/sandy beach .... but can I be 4rsed? Nope. :)

There's no joy thinking what you need, then packing it all up and lugging it around, to pick a spot, get all set up ... only to find you're suddenly surrounded by groups of kids that want to play football over your head .... or just chase right over your spot and flick sand in all your nicely laid out bits and pieces.

And you're sitting there....now what?

I thought it looked like good weather, so I went to the launderette, got everything hung out - and now it's clouded over... so I have to sit and watch it now "in case it rains" .... bummer.

Lunch will therefore be crumpets.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm on the south coast, at the seaside. :)

Lunch will therefore be crumpets.

I used to live on the south coast, but not at the seaside. This was in the late 70s early 80s. We lived in Southampton and then Chandlers Ford for a while, and then went and lived at a hotel which was owned by a friend of my then husband at the time, in the middle of the New Forest. It was in the annexe at the Beaulieu Hotel. At the time there was no mains electricity and what there was came from their own generator which was only on at set times of the day. The cooker used calor gas and they switched that off at certain times as well. I can't remember why we moved out there. It may have been because it was so nice around there and we wanted a more peaceful lifestyle.

Anyhow back to food, there is nothing wrong with crumpets for lunch. They are a really good CFO staple :) I love them since this thread got me into them :D
  • Hollyharvey
    I went with a friend today to the town's big Sainsburys and I had a look at the veg to see what was loose. They had much the same as Tesco have so it seems that it is very much a universal thing.

Today I have had porridge and berries for breakfast. I think it is going to take me ages to get through the bag of oats that I have, but I don't mind using dried good like that well past their best before date, usually a couple of years at least.

Lunch was a cheese and pickle sandwich with some salad. I decided to give the tuna a miss today. I am really sick of it at the moment but will probably have it tomorrow for lunch just to use it up.

Dinner will be a cottage pie that I previously made and froze with some steamed veg.

Now crumpets have been mentioned I'm sure that one of those will feature as a snack at some point today and I have a couple of apricots that need using up so will eat them later as well.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    I'm a fellow crumpet lover and particularly like them with beans on or with honey. Yummy :)
  • PasturesNew
    For lunch, instead of crumpets, I had a sudden "great idea" of using up some big seashell pasta I was "gifted". I got the portions wrong and there was a lot of pasta... then I added the veggie/quorn thing I made 2 days ago and .... I struggled to get through it.

It was half exciting the first day, but now I'm nearly choking on it. I might just say "s0d it, life's too short" and bin the final portion.

Crumpets later, to cheer myself up a bit :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I go to the one near me about 9.00am in the morning. They open at 8.00am and start doing their yellow stickers so by 9.00 most of them are out. I find that their y/s reductions are good. Sometimes their offers make something a lot cheaper than the other supermarkets.

Have to agree, it is a misconception IMO that Waitrose is always expensive, you do have to watch though, but I find some things are cheaper, especially if on offer. Recently for instance it was Heck bangers, £2 a pack.

HH "Lunch was a cheese and pickle sandwich with some salad. I decided to give the tuna a miss today. I am really sick of it at the moment but will probably have it tomorrow for lunch just to use it up" Yep, reckon we have all been there on that fed up with it food wagon

Weather started fine & sunny, now grey but will get out and do some watering later

The loaded skins I tried yesterday fall into the "interesting but CBA if I never eat them again" category, plus they also tick my angry box about naff names for the common place, what's wrong with stuffed baked potato? :mad:
    Nil breakfast
    Lunch was a cheese salady sarnie again

Tonight's dinner is more experimenting, it is "dirty cheesy chips" from M & S, and I will bung a couple of Waitrose, on offer a while back & now defrosting, bangers in the oven with them. Luckily same gas 6 and same time required to cook

I like cucumbers as well, sliced or diced, in a sarnie on it's own, or salad, or with anything really. I have two growing at the front up the curly railings, no fruit yet

For those with sunny weather and fancy a Pimms, here is some borage to plop in it, in flower in the garden and bees loving it

Borage10--june-2017.jpg
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Hollyharvey
    Farway wrote: »

The loaded skins I tried yesterday fall into the "interesting but CBA if I never eat them again" category, plus they also tick my angry box about naff names for the common place, what's wrong with stuffed baked potato? :mad:

But stuffed baked potato doesn't sound as exciting as loaded skins, even though that's what they are, so you may not buy them...they've got to temp you somehow (I'm not cynical at all ;):)
  • PasturesNew
    Have to agree, it is a misconception IMO that Waitrose is always expensive, you do have to watch though, but I find some things are cheaper, especially if on offer. Recently for instance it was Heck bangers, £2 a pack.
    I think it's where you're looking from. Looking from the viewpoint of somebody who never buys expensive stuff and always buys the cheapest of everything (80p ready meals, 36p loaves) - it's expensive.

It's only "not expensive" if you're the sort of person who will shell out £1 for a loaf and £3 for a ready meal.

I looked at the Waitrose offers earlier this morning - "3 for £10" ready meals.... big variety, sounded nice .... but I could get 6 for £10 at L1dl/4ldi and about seven of the 80p meals.
    ... loaded skins I tried yesterday fall into the "interesting but CBA if I never eat them again" category, plus they also tick my angry box about naff names for the common place, what's wrong with stuffed baked potato?
    Yeah, I don't get it ... just a made up name for cutting a jacket spud a different way and dolloping fillings in a different way.

I've never bothered.
    .... "dirty cheesy chips"
    I nuke some chips and toss grated cheddar on :)

I only ever tried a tiny Pimms about 2 years ago, just because I'd never had it and was offered it in a house, so could have a small taster without buying one .... wasn't impressed. Won't bother with that.
  • PasturesNew
    Noisy kids non stop for 5+ hours got me to breaking point .... so tea was crisps and ...my favourite choccies. I had to leave the house as they were doing my head in, so I headed for the shop .... that sold sweeties.

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport