Solar Panel Guide Discussion

Comments

• You are likely to get a smart meter anyway in the next few years and it is not cost effective for the electricity providers to do this earlier for <4kWp systems. Smart meters are only compulsory for systems over 30kWp and are not supplied by the FiTs provider anyway. If you really want a smart meter you can pay to have one installed by a variety of companies independent of your electricity supplier or FITs provider.

From experience both npower and edf are not easy to deal with regarding FITs enquiries as their call centre teams have little knowledge of what they are doing and anything more than a simple application confuses them.
    Welcome to MSE. :wave:

It would be useful if you could "Quote" the post that you are responding to, otherwise what you're saying could appear like some random thought that you've had.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • shafeeq
    shafeeq Posts: 973 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    shafeeq wrote: »
    I just had a phone call from Npower. They are refusing to change the meter, saying they will only change the meter if it goes back.

They say my meter is not going back. They want me to take a reading everyday next 10 days. I told them it's winter, It's not generating enough for the meter to go back.

They won't belive me. oh well... what more can I do...

I will take the reading every day next 10 days. They will phone back. They will say the meter is not going back so they won't change it.....

Shafeeq

I had a phone call from Npower today. I provided the readings for last ten days and some days for whole 24 hours there been 0kwh used or 1 kwh. One day i used minus 1kwh, Yesterday there was 0 generation so 5kwh was used.

Now they say meter is going backward. On 4th January they will fit another meter and meter that measures how much energy I used. I asked about smart meter but I was told Npower is not currently installing smart meters.

After that they will rebill my bill from the day i had solar panel. I told that I was not happy, I have been trying to resolve this for months. In summer I use less electricity. They said they will take that into consideration. We will see!!!!

I was told they are sending me £25 for the length of time to sort this out. Better then nothing. Im sure there is no free lunch. this will be added to my bill. If I feel the estimate is too much I will try to argue.. So might need all your help..

Shafeeq
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    After that they will rebill my bill from the day i had solar panel. I told that I was not happy, I have been trying to resolve this for months. In summer I use less electricity. They said they will take that into consideration. We will see!!!!
    Make sure they bill you based on what you have generated, not on what they estimate you should have used. This is the only fair and logical way of doing it. Are they allowed to go back further than 12 months? (Sorry, I don't know when you had the panels installed without checking back over previous posts.)
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • shafeeq
    edited 15 December 2012 at 1:53PM
    KevinG wrote: »
    Make sure they bill you based on what you have generated, not on what they estimate you should have used. This is the only fair and logical way of doing it. Are they allowed to go back further than 12 months? (Sorry, I don't know when you had the panels installed without checking back over previous posts.)
    Hi Kevin

The solar panel were installed on 6th June 2012. My usual energy usage is low. From Jan to December 2011 I have used 1737kwh.

Since I had solar panels installed it has generated from 7th June to 12.15pm today 1140kwh.

So looking at past bills my reading on 12 Jan 2012 to 6th June I have used 705kwh.

On the meter only the last digit goes back ward. for example if my meter reading is 70012, Solar panel has generated 4 kwh the meter will go back to 70010 and not further back.

If the meter was on 70019 and I use 2 kwh the meter will go up to 70020. Next day If Solar Panel generate 10 kwh the meter will stay on 70020. It won't go full 10 Kwh back.

After the solar panel were installed and due to meter going backward. I have used from 7th June 2012 to 15 December 2012 130kwh.

Since June I had solar panel I have notified Npower of meter going back. I have been getting no where. At last someone took incharge of the situation now. 10 days I go I was told they don't believe my meter goes back. I was told I use low electricity and cause of Solar Panels my usage is low. Then I was told to keep daily reading and I will get a call back from them. After 10 days of reading now they say meter goes back.

They are aware I have made contact and had difficulty hence they sending me £25 for the trouble.

The person says she will take charge from now, make sure meter is changed (on 4th Jan.) and another meter will be installed to see how much electricity I use. From there they will calculate my usage. This is when I said hold on. In summer I would use less electricity. She says she will consider all that.

Maybe for the first 10 days I just have to keep my usage low as possible.

I don't mind paying fair amount but not hit with a big bill... we will wait and see...

Shafeeq
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    On the meter only the last digit goes back ward. for example if my meter reading is 70012, Solar panel has generated 4 kwh the meter will go back to 70010 and not further back.
    Ah, that's a tricky one then, they can't use the total generated to indicate how far backwards the meter has gone. In the circumstances (and I'm sure you agree) I don't think they should be back-billing you at all.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    KevinG wrote: »
    Ah, that's a tricky one then, they can't use the total generated to indicate how far backwards the meter has gone. In the circumstances (and I'm sure you agree) I don't think they should be back-billing you at all.

Totally agree. Shafeeq is the one that's kept pushing for resolution, even after being told straight that he is wrong.

With a backwards meter, that only reverses the 'units' cog, it's going to be very difficult to estimate actual consumption.

@Shafeeq - Given the relatively small amount of money involved, your efforts to resolve, their efforts to dismiss without action etc, perhaps you should say you are not happy, then apply the "What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander" approach and offer them a goodwill gesture of £25!

Try arguing that following their advice would have lengthened the problem, and increased the amount of 'energy debt' you would have been in (caused directly by their inaction). Also that you have spent another 10 days monitoring the equipment in order to help them out.

Best of luck.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • shafeeq
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    @Shafeeq - Given the relatively small amount of money involved, your efforts to resolve, their efforts to dismiss without action etc, perhaps you should say you are not happy, then apply the "What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander" approach and offer them a goodwill gesture of £25!

Try arguing that following their advice would have lengthened the problem, and increased the amount of 'energy debt' you would have been in (caused directly by their inaction). Also that you have spent another 10 days monitoring the equipment in order to help them out.

Best of luck.

Mart.

HI Mart.

Thanks for useful help as always. So do you think is to wait for them to change the meter, after they estimate the bill then give them above argument?

Also do you think I should request for Economy 7 meter, since I have SP, during the day it will usually provide electricity and at night if use energy then it will be cheaper? or should I just leave it as it is.

Thanks again
    Shafeeq
  • As someone who has PV panels and economy 7, it very much depends on what you intend to do between 0:01 & 07:00 in the small hours of the morning.

I have managed to switch economy 7 consumption to noon consumption during the summer (ie hot water, dish & clothes washing plus a drier) even in the winter some of that can be done at noon if the immersion is 1,000 watts or you fit a transformer. [Today I was running the washing machine and a 700 watt radiant heater, with minimal import.] Economy 7 makes the day time electricity more expensive.
    Now if you are intending to go down the ground source heat pump route and heat your floor slab - Economy 7 makes sense.
  • DtB
    DtB Posts: 7 Forumite
    Has anybody either heard of this company or had dealings with them? We're thinking of possibly going down the road of the free solar panels scheme but have read a few warnings on the web including, specifically, some bad thoughts about the above-mentioned company.
    Any experience would be gratefully received. Thanks
  • Simple question no doubt answered in the above umpteen pages , sorry for no wading through them.
    Does my FIT registered company have to be my energy provider. Ie British gas for both?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure