PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I buy tinned potatoes a lot, and never ever eat them as they come out of the tin, (vile), but always in things. They are great sliced for hotpots, roasted, or in the food processor with cooked fish of some description for fish cakes.

Me too. They're great as something else, never as potatoes alone :)
    I mostly use them for spud salad in summer and something to toss in the slow cooker if I don't have fresh spuds. Hotpot toppers and sliced/roasted works OK too.

I've always got one can in, often two... I probably use four cans/year.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm a bit of a hoarder, not in a piles of stuff everywhere type of way (I like the place to be tidy) but struggle to get rid of anything I might conceivable use at some point. Especially kitchen bits. I'm good with paperwork retention but not much else :o.

I opened a jar of balsamic pickled shallots I made last Autumn ostensibly to have at Christmas and promptly forgot about them! I was looking in the cupboard for a new jar of gherkins and there they were. Can't see the jar lasting long now they were gorgeous:D.

I had the remaining fish pie with assorted pickled veg for lunch and the gammon is cooked so not much to do for dinner tonight. I must remember to soak peas tonight so I can make soup tomorrow.

I've never really got into tinned spuds though do have an "emergency" tin in the cupboard (in date-just :rotfl:)which I really should use up.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I sliced one of my big rolls in half and spread each half with marg.
    Nom.

I fancy crisps. I have no crisps. I bought 18 packs in December and ate them all .... so I should really leave it a bit longer before I buy more .... but that doesn't stop me fancying them :)
  • caronc
    A roll and crisps - has to be up there on my list of guilty pleasures. Has to be real butter though. A pleasure I very seldom indulge in as too much salt but oh boy it's good.:)

The weather has turned really nasty, it probably would be better if it just snowed as forecast, might warm things up a bit:(.

While it's far from cold in my kitchen the wind and rain is battering off the conservatory so I'm having to motivate myself to go and make dinner and tidy the place up. Still needs must I suppose as I'm getting hungry;)
  • caronc
    :eek::eek: Nipped to the loo, turned on the light and there was a huge slug on the floor (now deceased ;)). Shining a torch showed a trail from the bath plug hole.... Said hole has now had loads of salt popped down and the plug lowered. Much as I admire it's determination I have no desire for it's friends to send out a search party :cool:
  • Must admit that whenever any "livestock" is in my home - my first thought isnt "shoo it gently out the window". It's much more along the lines of "Belt it one quick - and firm".
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I thought I was being sensible cooking some leek and potato soup and a small cottage pie for tomorrow as only one dd was popping in and was not sure if she would have already eaten.

Got a phone call an hour ago that there could be four people popping in. Chicken burgers and beef burgers are defrosting and I will nip to the shop to get salad and bread rolls and maybe potatoes to cook wedges.

Must remember to switch on heater in conservatory as it is freezing in there and that is where the dining table and chairs are.
  • caronc
    Must admit that whenever any "livestock" is in my home - my first thought isnt "shoo it gently out the window". It's much more along the lines of "Belt it one quick - and firm".
    Depends on the "livestock" - spiders (unless they join me in the shower), bees, daddy longlegs and moths/butterflies get a reprieve. Anything else tends to get thwacked!
    Elona wrote: »
    I thought I was being sensible cooking some leek and potato soup and a small cottage pie for tomorrow as only one dd was popping in and was not sure if she would have already eaten.

Got a phone call an hour ago that there could be four people popping in. Chicken burgers and beef burgers are defrosting and I will nip to the shop to get salad and bread rolls and maybe potatoes to cook wedges.

Must remember to switch on heater in conservatory as it is freezing in there and that is where the dining table and chairs are.
    Best laid schemes and all that.... :)
  • caronc wrote: »
    Depends on the "livestock" - spiders (unless they join me in the shower), bees, daddy longlegs and moths/butterflies get a reprieve. Anything else tends to get thwacked!

Best laid schemes and all that.... :)

I'm not sure what your reasoning is, but don't give daddy longlegs a reprieve, please! Do kill them. Their larvae are those evil little leatherjackets that live in soil and destroy seedlings and small plants.

RHS on leatherjackets
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Back on topic, I returned to my tinned stores for this evening's meal. I had saag aloo, using tinned spinach (massive tin from Wing Yip, great value) and the aforementioned tinned spuds.

Saag aloo was spiced up with cumin, turmeric and wholegrain mustard, with some olive oil mixed in so everything stuck together.

Although this sounds more like a side than a main meal, the spices really lift it and give it a bit of zip, so that, like daal, it is more than the sum of its parts.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback