What small DFW things will you be doing this week? WC 10/07

When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :money:
DF as at 30/12/16
Womblng 2020:
NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2

Comments

• determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 10 July 2017 at 5:56AM
    Morning :) just enjoying a peaceful cup of coffee before the house wakes up and we need to start getting ready....

working today in Dartford today :( At least I'll get a £23 for mileage. And so begins the nightmare time for me of not having enough time to do the work as I'm being asked to travel for 2 hours a day 2 x a week so am losing at least 4 hours of working time but having my case load reduced by 2 hours.... pray it's only for a short period...

small things:

* finish off madam's lunch (sandwiches made for madam's party, not eaten so frozen on the day ;)) & put together my ys pita bread
    * using a thermal shopping bag as a cool bag for my lunch with 3 cool blocks in. Ha ha my lunch and drinks while on the road won't be hot! :D
    * water greenhouse in a minute
    * Need to get petrol and check tyre pressure
    * garden time with madam after work
    * continue cleaning the house when madam goes to bed. Just bedroom, hall and bathroom left ;)

ok that's all I can think of. Have a great day everyone x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Chandelier.
    Chandelier. Posts: 933
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Morning,

I'll join in this week :)

I've a few small things I aim to do.. the first is looking into cancelling mobile phone insurance. I've paid it for 18 months now and only have two years left on contract? I'm not sure what to do.. does anyone have any opinions?? It's costing me £6.99 a month. Not a huge amount but I've not had to use it yet.

Also I need to check and compare prices for car insurance renewal which is due the end of next month.

I need to order the boy a hooded jacket at some point this week. I was meant to do it last week but got sidetracked :o

I also plan to deep clean the bathroom at some point this week.

I've lots of little jobs to do. At least it will keep me busy and deter me from spending lol..

Have a good Monday everyone.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Morning all :hello: back from my weekend away feeling very refreshed, very relaxing and frugal :T bought some goodies back as we split the food and booze left at the end. My plans for today:

Check banking, surveys and FPL
    Made mrs frugalwoods beans and rice last night, taking potion to work
    Hm malt loaf for snack
    Hot drink for commute
    Put all clothes away
    Sort washing to put on tonight if weather looks set fair for tomorrow
    Double check what I need to be organised with rest of the week and see if I really can leave work at 2 on Thursday or is that optimistic, if it is, book after school club for DD
    Get a small bag of cooked meat from freezer for Monday night rice for tea
    Dispatch two teacher gifts today, need to wrap two more by Friday. Rest not until end of August
    Both DD only have one teacher each next year :T:T:T:T

Right, off to quickly flylady kitchen before work.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,419
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Morning all :)
    :hello: Hello Chandelier, nice to have you join us :) Can't help on the phone insurance I am afraid, as I have never had it. Is there any penalty if you ditch it? Is your phone covered by your home insurance or under the terms of one of your bank accounts? To be honest if mine broke or got lost I would simply get it repaired or replace it, but it is not an expensive one, and I just have a sim only contract. Sorry not to be of more help, but I am sure one of our other posters will be able to shed more light :)

Today's plans look like this:
    Go to sales unit to restock and tidy (come to think of it I need to label up some new items first)
    Need to do a small shop while out in the car - I have a list!
    HM meals
    Freeze some French beans
    Ring camping supplier to see if they have an item that we need in stock, to avoid a wasted journey (it is only in the next market town to ours, just a few miles, but don't want to waste fuel unnecessarily)
    Cleaning - high up window ledge in conservatory which hasn't been done for ages :o Lots of spiders webs etc :eek: OH keeps his collection of old bottles up there, and they all want cleaning as well. He ought to do it really, but won't, and I don't want to look up at it any more (don't worry I will find him a job - or three - to do by way of recompense :D) He might need to find a taller stepladder for a start!
    Dog walk later
    Water anything in the garden that needs it (looks to be hot and dry yet again, I see there was another nasty fire in London again last night, though thankfully nobody was hurt this time, really worry about fire this weather :()

Hope everyone has a good day :)
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,610
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Morning everyone
    Cat cleaning done-still some more to do, it's taken ages this morning.
    Our new little black kitten is gaining in confidence, I've never heard anything squeak so much when demanding food or attention. Still cant hold her yet, still very nervous but she's getting better every day.
    Banking all checked
    Some paperwork already done, being efficient today.have a meeting tonight but won't be a late one, I'll be back in time for the asd@ delivery.
    Food all in for DD lunch

It's a good question about the mobile phone insurance chandelier.. I've just got a new mobile phone that has insurance-£2 a month. I'm thinking of cancelling it, keep thinking do I need it but I am so clumsy, u wouldnt believe the amount of phones that have bounced down stairs or I've dropped in a cuppa!
    I wouldn't be happy paying £6.99 a month, worth checking out?

Have a great day everyone x
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 10,994
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 10 July 2017 at 9:57AM
    Hi Chandelier - Welcome. We love new people on here! Re mobile phone insurance. I've never bothered with it. I've only needed to claim once for a mobile & it was covered by my home insurance, no awkward questions asked (despite ridiculous manner of its demise caused by our cat!). I received a replacement, all sorted out by the insurance company. Worth having a look at your home insurance & seeing what items are covered as with companies scrambling for our hard-earned money, it's very easy to be over-insured these days. My other reasoning is that I tend not to be bothered about hugely expensive mobile phones so if the worst case scenario happened that I lost it & my home insurer did refuse to pay up, it would probably still be cheaper to buy a new re-conditioned or inexpensive phone than pay out an extra monthly insurance payment throughout all the years I didn't lose it......if that makes sense.

Dawn - loved reading about your campervan trip. We would totally LOVE a campervan but it isn't going to happen any time soon. We just don't have the funds. The old pre-LBM 'us' would probably have borrowed the money for some heap of rust by now (one of the ones you see gently steaming on the hard shoulder of the motorway every summer!) but we have really taken to camping & as our tent looks so pretty with its bunting, fairy lights, & vintage bits & bobs, it's doing us just fine for now. I totally agree with you about how much equipment you can find lying around at home though! We bought crockery plates (cheap set from IKEA) because when we were setting everything up, I couldn't find ANY nice melamine plates for a sensible price. Can you believe that some I looked at (large chain department store) - dinner plate size were actually £8 each.....for melamine! Don't rule out Wilko's. We needed to replace our camping glasses & I've just bought some really nice big dark turquoise wine glasses & tumblers from there. Their camping/outdoor living section isn't at all bad,both for the essentials & more stylish bits & bobs, but as you'd expect, very seasonal,
    Right, better post today's list up before I lose the impetus.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 10,994
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Morning Monday Money Savers,
    I don't know about all of you, but I need a good week. Grocery Shopping Week 1 went over budget by a depressing £12 at the weekend & I didn't think we even bought that much.........not our usual Aldi visit though. Other supermarkets defo noticeably dearer.
    *Entered 2 competitions & 1 prize draw.
    *Did rubber pork - it provided a roast dinner yesterday. I've frozen a container of slices for the same again & also have sufficient for a Chinese-style pork stir-fry tomorrow plus some to go in a stew at some point. Leftover gravy & veg also frozen for the latter.
    *Load of laundry done on cheap overnight tariff, also a quick 30 min wash at 30 deg. All line-drying in breezy sunshine. Washer reloaded for another half-price overnight wash tonight.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Watered & fed veggie garden.
    *Book cattery......or we won't be going away & will lose our campsite booking money.
    *Did a few surveys.
    *Did ebay re-listings. V v slow at the moment.
    *2 baths from 1 lot of hot water.
    *Continue knitting Christmas present & my lovely new autumn scarf (easiest lace pattern ever).
    *Re-jigged this week's meal plans a little to make better use of our fresh garden produce.
    *Start investigating a legal issue prior to changing our wills. I am confident that we can sort out the writing of the new wills ourselves using a template & advice from government website, but there is a currently a clause which I think we will need legal help with, to 'undo' it, if that makes sense. Really need to get this done.
    OK, that's today's list. Off to find cattery phone number now.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    MONEY MAKING AND SAVING SITES AS OFTEN MENTIONED IN THIS FORUM
    • Benefits check-up ( Link)
    • Coupon Shop Forum list of money-off coupons (Link)
    • Cooking On A Bootstrap, cheap recipes ( Link)
    • eBid ( Link)
    • Freecycle ( Link )
    • Free Postcode Lottery (Link)
    • FreeStuff ( Link)
    • FreeUKStuff ( Link)
    • Income Tax Calculator (Link)
    • i-Say Surveys (Link)
    • List of online newspapers. At bottom of the linked page. ( Link)
    • LuckyPhone free lottery with loyalty rewards (Link)
    • Marriage Tax Allowance (Link)
    • MSE Boost Your Income page. Gateway to lots of money-making links. ( Link)
    • MSE Abbreviations Explained ( Link)
    • MSE Deals and Vouchers ( Link )
    • MSE Wow Offers ( Link )
    • NHS Minor Ailment Service article (Link)
    • My Supermarket ( Link )
    • Number Plate Lotto (Link) New to this list
    • OnePoll ( Link )
    • Quidco ( Link)
    • Reclaim PPI at no cost to yourself without using a claims company. ( Link )
    • Resolver tool. Helps you draft a letter, send it, monitor replies and then escalate it to an Ombudsman or key complaint body if it's not sorted. (Link)
    • SayNoTo0870 cheap phone number finder ( Link)
    • Survey sites that pay for your opinions ( Link)
    • Swagbucks ( Link)
    • Swapit ( Link)
    • Tickety Split cheap train tickets (Link)
    • Toluna ( Link)
    • TopCashBack ( Link )
    • Wombling Guide (Link)
    • You Need A Budget site and App (Link)
    If any of the links are broken, let me know.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Prime Day Trick

(Link)
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Happy Monday, everyone!

Today I will/have:
    *check accounts
    *check recent payments and add to spreadsheet
    *food from stores
    *avoid expensive supermarket! Do not go there!
    *clean flat

Have a lovely day, everyone.
    US
    Emergencies account: £500/500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business