Debt Demolisher

Comments

• Hi motivated - another person always tempted by the homeware aisles here :o however the special buys in Aldi also seem to be just as tempting for some reason so I am never safe when I go shopping!

I hope you have a fantastic Saturday and I look forward to reading more of your journey and hopefully offering a bit of support along the way!
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    :wave:

Back again but with good news. Well its good news for us :p

Our DMP is sorted and all set to go :j I cant believe its been so easy to set up. considering I was beside myself with worry and panic, I can honestly say I am already regretting not doing it sooner. A big fat lesson has been learned in the Motivated household I can tell you. Been ridiculously stupid with credit and have nothing to show for it. A big fat zero :mad: We will be paying back everything albeit a little slower but at least we are doing it.

Even though we have a loooonggg way to go before we can say we are debt free I can actually see a goal to aim for. Life has been so much better just by admitting that we needed help. I take my hat off to the members who give honest advice on the DMP Support thread. I don't know where I would be if I hadn't plucked up the courage to post on there and ask for advice.

Myself and my DH have not been this relaxed or got on this well for I don't know how long. I know we will still get each other down but it wont be over money anymore which up until now has been the main reason we argue.

We have a plan to knock some time off the DFD (which I'm not 100% sure of until I receive paperwork any day from SC) but I feel relaxed that we have
    • One journey
    • One goal
    • One affordable payment
    • One new start
      AND NO CREDIT CARDS :beer:

Will be sticking to our budget and controlling our money instead of the other way round :p
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • Wow, that's great news! What a weight off your mind. Enjoy the mental peace.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • motivated
    Wow, that's great news! What a weight off your mind. Enjoy the mental peace.

Thanks TOPM I am trying although every now and again I think :eek:
    But it is what it is and I have to stay positive. Even though I'm expecting lots of lovely letters and calls from our creditors. I plan to take each day as it comes and move on from there.

I was even caught singing (badly) to myself at work :rotfl: Must be the relief
    M
  • EmmaMicawber
    EmmaMicawber Posts: 138 Forumite
    It's great that everything's in place for April. Are you hoping to save some emergency funds this month?
  • motivated
    It's great that everything's in place for April. Are you hoping to save some emergency funds this month?

Hi Emma
    I do have an emergency fund in place yes :D. Only because of the great advice I've received on here.

Quite looking forward now instead of back.
    Hope all is going well with you also
    M
  • foxyloxy11
    foxyloxy11 Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Fantastic news Motivated sounds like you've got that Friday feeling already :) Here's to a great financial future with lots of MSE support.
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000- End of Baby Step 3 (A work in progress)
  • motivated
    foxyloxy11 wrote: »
    Fantastic news Motivated sounds like you've got that Friday feeling already :) Here's to a great financial future with lots of MSE support.

Thanks foxyloxy Every day feels like the Friday feeling at the moment :D
    Positivity is my new best friend
    Long may it continue.
    M
  • Barbie61
    Barbie61 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    So pleased things are mow settled for you. Reading this has convinced me to get on with asking for a DMP. Everything you said about consolidation etc is exactly my story. unfortunately I'm single so my repayment time will be longer but it will be so good not to worry anymore. Now I need a day off to ring them. Do they work late do you know? :money:
  • motivated
    Barbie61 wrote: »
    So pleased things are mow settled for you. Reading this has convinced me to get on with asking for a DMP. Everything you said about consolidation etc is exactly my story. unfortunately I'm single so my repayment time will be longer but it will be so good not to worry anymore. Now I need a day off to ring them. Do they work late do you know? :money:

Hi Barbie

I completed the SC budget and it advised me to ring them I was like :eek: Anyway a lot of panicking and lots of advice on the DMP thread constantly arguing with OH about the situation I finally rung them. What a relief it was too. They were so nice and supportive I can't tell you. I added extra bits onto my budget and made the totals a little higher :o. ( this was advised on the DMP thread) SC never questioned it. I seriously wish I had done it sooner it would've saved me a lot of grey hair.

Up until then we had not missed a payment on anything loans or CCs but now I think our credit score is not going to save my sanity or my anxiety so something had to give. We are still paying out debt back albeit a slower rate but at least we are paying it back. I'm sure my creditors have heard it all before. We aren't the first and we won't be the last.

StepChange are open from 8am - 8pm and will give you advice on the best option for you. There will be no pressure to get you to agree or sign up to anything they will just advise you. I opened a new account online and even did all my paperwork for our DMP online. The only thing I posted was the DD and the signed agreement form.

You can even decide when you want your first payment to go this will give you time to build up an emergency fund.

Good luck and honestly do not worry about speaking to SC they are great.
    M
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport