Grants available for students & education

Comments

• kerryi27
    kerryi27 Posts: 169 Forumite
    Hi,
    I am applying to do Maths on an OU course. My husband is self employed and due to the credit crunch his earnings have halfed this year. But when I have looked at the financial help calculator their grants are worked out using last years income so I will not be able to receive any help.
    When I used the calculator and worked out using this years income I would be entitled to get my fees paid fully.

Does anyone know if there is anyone else I can go to for financial help or funding.

I have asked OU and they said they cant do it using this years income. It must be the last full tax year.

There is no way I can afford the fees (even paying monthly). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Pink_Eyes wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any grants for transport for disabled students? According to college, I'm not disabled enough (I have 40% vision and struggle with transport) and don't live far away. (I live 2.9 miles away) I've been told use my bus passes, (won't help) get my parents to give me a lift (they can't because of working patterns) and to use my DLA. (which will only cover half of the costs)

So what do I do? They seem to be uninterested in the fact that I won't be able to get to college and therefore, can't do my course. They've said 'we'll let your teacher know you may be late because of your dificulties', but that would mean missing lessons and coursework time.

I've been told I can only get help if I have a social worker and they write a note to say I struggle with transport, but I don't have a social worker.

Sorry if someone else has responded before but just to let you know that I am also disabled and attend University and if you live in Scotland then SAAS will pay to get you there and back. I can catch a bus, take my own car or if you can't do that they will arrange taxis to pick you up and drop you off again. I would imagine that the same sort of thing would apply in England but you would have to check to be sure.
    !!!!!! happens!!!:D
  • paulak412 wrote: »
    hi i a single mum and starting uni, does anyone know a grant/charity that helps with fees? (£3175 py) i studying BSc Hons Finance

You don't say where you live but if you are in Scotland then your fees will be paid for you as you are a mature student. Not sure how it works in England though but would have thought that you would get the same thing there.

Good luck
    !!!!!! happens!!!:D
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    You've answered posts that are more than a year old.
  • Hi, I've just rung the enquiry no for info on this grant and failed the eligibility because I get working tax credit. I have found that I fail quite a few eligibility requitements because I get this credit even though I am a single parent, work part time 20 hrs a week and on a low income, lower than the amount which this credit is bundled with.
    Are there any others like me who fail the eligibility requirements because of this credit? Would love to hear other people's views as I think this grant would be an asset to those who can get it as, based on my own children's experience, the internet is a neccessity for help in education.
    :smileyhea
  • Hi, I've just rung the enquiry no for info on this grant and failed the eligibility because I get working tax credit. I have found that I fail quite a few eligibility requitements because I get this credit even though I am a single parent, work part time 20 hrs a week and on a low income, lower than the amount which this credit is bundled with.
    Are there any others like me who fail the eligibility requirements because of this credit? Would love to hear other people's views as I think this grant would be an asset to those who can get it as, based on my own children's experience, the internet is a neccessity for help in education.

I also failed But only because I live in Scotland, (although I am English!!) I think they should look into these types of grants a lot more carefully before advertising them as this would have helped my son as he is starting to get a lot of coursework now , he's at that age!
    I hope you manage to find something to suit you. Have you tried e-mailing them or phoning (not sure if there is a number?) to see if there are any ways around this? I e-mailed them to ask and got a reply from a very nice lady the very next day even though she was telling me I didnt qualify she was very polite about it! :rolleyes:
  • andiepool wrote: »
    I also failed But only because I live in Scotland, (although I am English!!) I think they should look into these types of grants a lot more carefully before advertising them as this would have helped my son as he is starting to get a lot of coursework now , he's at that age!
    I hope you manage to find something to suit you. Have you tried e-mailing them or phoning (not sure if there is a number?) to see if there are any ways around this? I e-mailed them to ask and got a reply from a very nice lady the very next day even though she was telling me I didnt qualify she was very polite about it! :rolleyes:

ooops sorry, just re-read your article and noticed that you have rung them. Sorry bout that! I DO hope you get some help though. :o
  • Hi,
    I have just graduated as a mature student and my eldest daughter is about to start a BEd in September at Derby Uni (70 miles from home). We are a family of five and despite having huge debts, it seems we are only entitled to the basic non-means tested student loan for our daughter (due to joint income) and this doesn't even cover the cost of her halls of residence!) Does anyone know of any academic excellence bursarys/financial help she may be able to claim that isn't income related?
  • MrTomato
    MrTomato Posts: 771 Forumite
    Batholemew wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have just graduated as a mature student and my eldest daughter is about to start a BEd in September at Derby Uni (70 miles from home). We are a family of five and despite having huge debts, it seems we are only entitled to the basic non-means tested student loan for our daughter (due to joint income) and this doesn't even cover the cost of her halls of residence!) Does anyone know of any academic excellence bursarys/financial help she may be able to claim that isn't income related?

do you live in any of these postcodes?: DE, NG, LE, B, ST, S, SK, DN, PE, CV or WS . If so, she'll get £300.

And check here if she goes to a partner school: http://www.derby.ac.uk/educationliaison/partner-schools-and-colleges for which you get £400.

All the info is here: http://www.derby.ac.uk/bursaries
  • anyaangel
    anyaangel Posts: 9 Forumite
    Im hoping to go back to college to do a Access in art course (then hoping to go on do a degree). Im a single parent on income support leaving in kent and finding grants hard to find. can any one help me please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure